+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internship on a tourist visa

Cocoshaggy

May 1, 2018
Hello out there

Currently I'm in touch with a visa agency as I want to do my internship in Canada. My internship starts in September 2018 and ends i January 2019. I'm a social work student from Denmark.

I've got an internship offer at a shelter in Ottawa. I'll be sitting in the Service Center to help the homeless people to get back on track (help them to obtain a job, permanent housing etc.).

The position that the organisations has offered me is 100% unpaid and voluntarily.
My practicum coordinator at the shelter has informed me:
1) You will not be in direct competition with Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents in the labour market

2) You will not be engaging in a position that would normally be paid

3) Your placement will not lead to a paid position. We post all positions and all potential candidates have the ability to apply. Our positions in professional services require a certain level of experience.

4) Students completing their BSWs and MSWs are required to do a practicum as part of their course study and students attending the Social Services Worker program at college are required to do student placements. We generally take one student per semester in each department but we do not guarantee it. We interview a number of students for these placements (I was the one who got the internship).

The agency suggests that I apply for a visitor visa (6 months). I know that I should trust the immigration lawyer who recommended me to apply for a tourist visa.

But I would really like to hear some thoughts and experiences about the tourist visa in this case. Do you think there would be any issues with a tourist visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello out there

Currently I'm in touch with a visa agency as I want to do my internship in Canada. My internship starts in September 2018 and ends i January 2019. I'm a social work student from Denmark.

I've got an internship offer at a shelter in Ottawa. I'll be sitting in the Service Center to help the homeless people to get back on track (help them to obtain a job, permanent housing etc.).

The position that the organisations has offered me is 100% unpaid and voluntarily.
My practicum coordinator at the shelter has informed me:
1) You will not be in direct competition with Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents in the labour market

2) You will not be engaging in a position that would normally be paid

3) Your placement will not lead to a paid position. We post all positions and all potential candidates have the ability to apply. Our positions in professional services require a certain level of experience.

4) Students completing their BSWs and MSWs are required to do a practicum as part of their course study and students attending the Social Services Worker program at college are required to do student placements. We generally take one student per semester in each department but we do not guarantee it. We interview a number of students for these placements (I was the one who got the internship).

The agency suggests that I apply for a visitor visa (6 months). I know that I should trust the immigration lawyer who recommended me to apply for a tourist visa.

But I would really like to hear some thoughts and experiences about the tourist visa in this case. Do you think there would be any issues with a tourist visa?
Internships require work permits. While the position itself may be unpaid - you'll be doing the kind of work people are normally compensated for who are employed in the social work field. That's what a practicum is about - it's a chance to practice skills in the field you want to work in. Their answer to question #3 further supports that you need a work permit.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Adding... You should look into the Working Holiday Visa program asap. This may provide you with an option to come to Canada on a work permit to do the internship.

Cocoshaggy

May 1, 2018
Scylla: I actually asked about that, but they recommended me a tourist visa as I won't stay any longer than 6 months.

Cocoshaggy

May 1, 2018
But it's a non-profit organisation. Even tho a canadian fill the position he/she won't get paid as it's a voluntarily position I applied for?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are doing a job that a social worker would do if the non-profit had the money to hire someone so it is equivalent to a job.

Cocoshaggy

May 1, 2018
I just really don't understand why a canadian immigration lawyer would recommend me to get a tourist visa if it's against the law?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I'm danish
I just really don't understand why a canadian immigration lawyer would recommend me to get a tourist visa if it's against the law?
Me, I don't understand why a Canadian immigration lawyer would tell you to apply for a tourist visa, because Danish passport holders are exempted from tourist visas to Canada (unless there was something lost in translation if the discussion was in your native language?). You can apply for an eTA if you'll be a visitor.

This reminded me of a similar thread recently...answers still pretty mixed and ambiguous:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/volunteering-on-an-eta.472274/