+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Volunteering on an eTA?

kate1895

Jan 31, 2017
On the 1st March I shall be visiting Canada for 6 months to volunteer with a non-profit organisation that aims to rescue and rehabilitate animals. I have already applied and been accepted for an eTA. According to the charity I do not need a work visa to volunteer there as they've had volunteers from the UK and they've been accepted to volunteer on a tourist visa. Upon researching the Canadian immigration website, I could find no matching basis for me to have a work visa. Yet I phoned the visa directory and they stated I could not volunteer on an eTA.

So I am very confused as the organisation has accepted plenty of UK volunteers with no problem, so why would this case be any different. However after many rejected visa applications to the US, my nerves are slightly frazzled and I feel sick at the possibility of being rejected and sent home after waiting so long to go.

Any advice, or any experience with this particular problem?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
kate1895 said:
On the 1st March I shall be visiting Canada for 6 months to volunteer with a non-profit organisation that aims to rescue and rehabilitate animals. I have already applied and been accepted for an eTA. According to the charity I do not need a work visa to volunteer there as they've had volunteers from the UK and they've been accepted to volunteer on a tourist visa. Upon researching the Canadian immigration website, I could find no matching basis for me to have a work visa. Yet I phoned the visa directory and they stated I could not volunteer on an eTA.

So I am very confused as the organisation has accepted plenty of UK volunteers with no problem, so why would this case be any different. However after many rejected visa applications to the US, my nerves are slightly frazzled and I feel sick at the possibility of being rejected and sent home after waiting so long to go.

Any advice, or any experience with this particular problem?
It is tricky.

If volunteering can lead to a paid position or they are paying in any way (not money) then that is considered working, thus you cannot volunteer.

There is no straight forward answer neither volunteering in the same place applies the same to all volunteers. How is your case different from any others? It very well might as this is assessed in a case to cae basis and everything is taking into account.

You will have to decide for yourself. Read around and come to your own conclusions. If you are not rock solid sure about it, then the general advice is "do not do it".
http://www.mariacampos.ca/en/articles-publications/can-i-volunteer-while-visiting-or-studying-in-canada/

kate1895

Jan 31, 2017
Thank you for your response. They have written me this letter if I do get questioned at customs, I have gotten rid of information that is private but the rest is as it was written:

(Organisation name) is a not for profit organization, with charitable status located in Langley, British Columbia, Canada. Our society is dedicated to public education and the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife.

(My name) will be volunteering with our organization from (Dates I shall be arriving and returning). The volunteer position to be undertaken includes the following duties:

Feeding neonate, adult and juvenile animals
Cleaning animal closures, doing laundry, and cleaning the triage centre
Administrating medications, first aid, and wound care
Participating in building projects and maintenance
Assisting with rescues and releases of wildlife
Properly restraining and capturing wildlife

The volunteer will not be remunerated and her volunteer work does not compete with or replace opportunities for Canadians/ permanent residents in the Canadian labor market. (My name) is joining our organization to pursue her interests, contribute to a worthwhile cause and learn about Canada. We look forward to this cultural exchange.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
kate1895 said:
Thank you for your response. They have written me this letter if I do get questioned at customs, I have gotten rid of information that is private but the rest is as it was written:

(Organisation name) is a not for profit organization, with charitable status located in Langley, British Columbia, Canada. Our society is dedicated to public education and the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife.

(My name) will be volunteering with our organization from (Dates I shall be arriving and returning). The volunteer position to be undertaken includes the following duties:

Feeding neonate, adult and juvenile animals
Cleaning animal closures, doing laundry, and cleaning the triage centre
Administrating medications, first aid, and wound care
Participating in building projects and maintenance
Assisting with rescues and releases of wildlife
Properly restraining and capturing wildlife

The volunteer will not be remunerated and her volunteer work does not compete with or replace opportunities for Canadians/ permanent residents in the Canadian labor market. (My name) is joining our organization to pursue her interests, contribute to a worthwhile cause and learn about Canada. We look forward to this cultural exchange.
As mentioned, you will have to assess this yourself.

(The final paragraph is tricky as well. It is not up to them to decide that, but of CIC. But international volunteering can be "authorized" by CIC, so you may want to look into that).

Good luck.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The building projects and maintainance looks like one that could be tricky to overcome. That, to me, would be taking work away from Canadians.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This sounds like a job someone would often/typically be paid to do. You may find it a hard sell at the border to convince CBSA that this is something you can engage in on a tourist visa. Just because others have done it before unfortunately doesn't mean it was done legally. Also, possible you may just be waved in without any issues.

I would give it a try - with the understanding CBSA may say no.