+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internet and Cell phone plans

Aug 28, 2021
Hey everyone I am an international student who just moved in to a new place but I did not realize that the place did not come with an internet plan. I was a bit worried but I managed to find a good deal at Rogers through a personal connection. I got a much better deal than what was available on their site. If anyone else is in the same shoes as me just let me know and I can try to get you the same deals. I am also pretty sure you can break the contract without any penalty.

For my plan internet I am paying $60 for 500 mbps. They also have $75 plan where the first 3 and half months are free.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey everyone I am an international student who just moved in to a new place but I did not realize that the place did not come with an internet plan. I was a bit worried but I managed to find a good deal at Rogers through a personal connection. I got a much better deal than what was available on their site. If anyone else is in the same shoes as me just let me know and I can try to get you the same deals. I am also pretty sure you can break the contract without any penalty.

For my plan internet I am paying $60 for 500 mbps. They also have $75 plan where the first 3 and half months are free.
Would specify this sounds like a student plan only available to those who can prove they are students. Trying to create brand loyalty.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's not just for students. Anyone can sign up. The person just asked me to fill out this form and then someone from Rogers contacted me. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mGoUiQBDBOP2IHW-TniYr5tC9lBuZYQPpvdU-e9vmw8/viewform?edit_requested=true
$60/ months likely with additional fees and taxes for unlimited internet through rogers? That seems to good to be true for the general population. In general telecommunication companies charge students less in the hopes that charging them less as a student leads to them sticking with the same company when they get out of their student life

Aug 28, 2021
$60/ months likely with additional fees and taxes for unlimited internet through rogers? That seems to good to be true for the general population. In general telecommunication companies charge students less in the hopes that charging them less as a student leads to them sticking with the same company when they get out of their student life
No additional fees. The contract is for 3 years but can be broken after 1 year without a penalty.

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
I wanted to ask the same question. I looked at provider sites but it is so confusing. To me $60 is kind of expensive, but I guess these are the prices in Canada. Over here I pay $12/month for unlimited 1GBS, $9 for digital cable over 100 channels and $12 for 2 mobile phone plans with unlimited national minutes and 1000 international minutes (but limited to selected countries).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I wanted to ask the same question. I looked at provider sites but it is so confusing. To me $60 is kind of expensive, but I guess these are the prices in Canada. Over here I pay $12/month for unlimited 1GBS, $9 for digital cable over 100 channels and $12 for 2 mobile phone plans with unlimited national minutes and 1000 international minutes (but limited to selected countries).
Telecom prices are extremely high in most of Canada due to lack of competition. $60 for unlimited unlimited internet is very inexpensive. Make sure to negotiate or look for limited deals. There are a few provinces that are lucky enough to have an extra competitor in the market.

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
I found this report about internet prices in the world :
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=33
In Europe there aren't many providers (there ma be even only 2 in one location) but their competition is real. It seems to me that telecom is rather a cartel. Why doesn't government do anything about this? I did see they force them to have a cheap plan for TV at $25, but Internet is much more important and in 2021 everybody should afford unlimited internet access.

Thomas T

Oct 19, 2020
There are different student plans available . I have been using unlimited plan with 200Mbps speed at the rate of $600/month

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I found this report about internet prices in the world :
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=33
In Europe there aren't many providers (there ma be even only 2 in one location) but their competition is real. It seems to me that telecom is rather a cartel. Why doesn't government do anything about this? I did see they force them to have a cheap plan for TV at $25, but Internet is much more important and in 2021 everybody should afford unlimited internet access.
Too complicated to get into Canada’s telecom issues. You don’t really have a choice you will need to pay significantly more then you’re used to.

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
Paying 6 times more for internet is not as bad as paying 20 times more for auto insurance. But the big ticket item is the housing, that's gonna be painful. You're right, I'll have no choice but to pay the price. Whining about how expensive is life in Canada won't do me any good; the only way to beat this is to make enough money to cover my expensive and have something more left.