+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International students with 2 years work exp and no ITA-- what are your plans?

omarimam

Apr 11, 2016
Ottawa-Ontario
NOC Code......
jsingh17 said:
Well, they are issuing OINP (Human Capital stream) to outland applicants so I guess it shouldn't be an issue.

The eligibility criteria for OINP (Human Capital):
- At least one year work experience in NOC level 0, A or B occupation
- Have a bachelor' degree (Canadian or ECA for a foreign degree)
- Language requirement: at least CLB7
- Score >400 points on CRS
- Proof of funds
- Intention to stay in Ontario

EDIT:

Once the OINP reopens, if you meet the eligibility criteria you will automatically receive a PT notification in your EE profile which you must accept before you can apply for OINP.
Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
ssiddharthsuresh said:
Pretty much spot on. I have been in Canada since 2011 and according to my crappy math it counts to 5 years in CANADA. Did my Masters here and was found over-qualified for most jobs. It was hard to get a skilled job with my degree in Chemical Engineering but somehow managed to accumulate 1 year through a couple of contract based positions, and finally here I am waiting for an invitation from the federal government that has been nice to everyone else except international students. Don't know if I should be excited for the upcoming changes since whenever there are new changes to the system it kinda messes up my situation every time and I have to start all over again. Hopefully this time it is either that I receive an invitation before the new reforms get implemented or the new changes get added onto the current system without changing everything.
If there would be some new policies introduced in the near future, which I don't believe there will be, it should not change the fundamental structure of the CRS system and the eligibility and requirement for CEC applicants.

I'm not an optimistic person, generally speaking, but I still see lots of hopes. I'm only having a CRS of 441 and will be 466 in Feb 2017. My work permit expires in Feb 2018, so I only have 14 months left. But I still see lots of potentials for myself to get an ITA in the near future. The new immigrants quota for 2017 has come out and the IRCC is aiming to invite like 10,000 more people under EE next year than they did in 2016, so there's great possibility that the point will drop to around 460 soon. You are in a better position than I am now, except that I don't know how long do you have left on your work permit. So hang in there dude you could get it very soon.

Speaking of whether or not the IRCC really overlooked the needs and potentials of International Graduates (IG) and whether or not the current CRS system is more favorable to overseas workers with no Canadian background, I say 'No' to both questions. In my opinion, there are several factors in the CRS system actually allow international students to outearn their overseas cohorts.

1. Age: IGs are usually at their prime ages to receive fully mark under this factor.

2. Offical language: IGs usually have much better English or French than overseas foreign nationals; some IGs have much better language skills than other IGs.

3. Canadian work experience: the most important one, needless to explain, which most of the overseas people don't have.

With the points granted by the combination of all three factors above, on average an outstanding IG (like yourself) can have as many as 200 more points than a regular overseas worker could have.

No need to mention that how many provinces' PNP programs prefer to nominate local international graduates over overseas people! Foreign work experience really doesn't matter that much. In addition, out of those overseas workers who got a positive LMIA (a.k.a 600 points) from employers they don't personally know, how many of them go the LMIA through online recruitment due to their excellent overseas work experience? I guess not even 10%. Most of them found some ways to connect with employers or recruiters who are profit-driven, and they may have paid them as much as 50k to 100k to buy a pre-approved nameless LMIA that matches their primary occupation (I know people who succeeded with that). These same kind of resources are also available to IGs. It's just that we don't want to get our PR status with deceptive means. We have our pride. That's why we are hanging in there in the pool and waiting so long to be invited honestly. Believe me, if an IG is really desperate, nothing can stop him or her. Never underestimate our powers.

jsingh17

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikko008 said:
Similar situation here!441 now and will get 466 in February 2017. It's always interesting to play around with the CRS system. Although I'm surprised to see a point of 442 lol. I thought it's either 441 (if you are single, between 20 to 29 years old, have a bachelor degree, one year CAN experience, One English bands is CLB 9 and others are CLB 10, no others, which is my situation) or 444 (if you are single, between 20 to 29 years old, have a bachelor degree, one year CAN experience, All English bands CLB 10, no others). I'm very curious ;D
Exactly similar scenario man! sitting at 441 and will bump up to 466 around Feb as well. We will receive an ITA in the same draw, if we ever do lol

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
jsingh17 said:
Exactly similar scenario man! sitting at 441 and will bump up to 466 around Feb as well. We will receive an ITA in the same draw, if we ever do lol
We will soon dude! Which province are you in??

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was an international grad with two years of skilled work experience and no ITA last year. Was stuck at 447... :-\ In my case, I was only a few credits away from finishing a bachelor's degree from a university in my country of origin, so I enrolled and obtained that degree, which gave me the option to claim points for two or more academic credentials under EE. I got an ITA on April 6th and landed for PR Nov 1st.

My suggestion to anyone in this predicament:
Study your realistic options for improving your score and act upon them. It's hard, but I suggest not to stay in canada under visitor or implied status waiting for the opportunity of points coming down. Go back to your country of origin if you have to, but there you can find ways of improving your score, like going back to school or getting a year of foreign work experience.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed. It does not matter whether you live in Canada but all that matter is what you can do to get bonus points. It will be useless to live in Canada if you do not have any status in order to apply for jobs/education.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GARJ said:
I was an international grad with two years of skilled work experience and no ITA last year. Was stuck at 447... :-\ In my case, I was only a few credits away from finishing a bachelor's degree from a university in my country of origin, so I enrolled and obtained that degree, which gave me the option to claim points for two or more academic credentials under EE. I got an ITA on April 6th and landed for PR Nov 1st.

My suggestion to anyone in this predicament:
Study your realistic options for improving your score and act upon them. It's hard, but I suggest not to stay in canada under visitor or implied status waiting for the opportunity of points coming down. Go back to your country of origin if you have to, but there you can find ways of improving your score, like going back to school or getting a year of foreign work experience.
Implied status is useless; I don't even know why it exists given that no employer would hire you, except may be for low-skilled. That rule exists in order to trap people making them spending money in the country whilst living there.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Elrud said:
Implied status is useless; I don't even know why it exists given that no employer would hire you, except may be for low-skilled. That rule exists in order to trap people making them spending money in the country whilst living there.
Uhm, there are no mounties holding guns at people and force them to stay and spend money here with implied status. We are adults in Canada, a free country, not a maid in Saudia Arabia who has her visa confiscated. You can leave whenever you want, just that some people choose to stay.

Elrud

Jun 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:
Uhm, there are no mounties holding guns at people and force them to stay and spend money here with implied status. We are adults in Canada, a free country, not a maid in Saudia Arabia who has her visa confiscated. You can leave whenever you want, just that some people choose to stay.
Some people choose to stay because they are influenced by this rule. It should have been made clear with more info that although you are allowed to stay, it is unlikely you would be able to economically improve your living (unlikely employer would hire you in high skilled jobs and not even allowed to undertake further studies under this status)

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Elrud said:
Some people choose to stay because they are influenced by this rule. It should have been made clear with more info that although you are allowed to stay, it is unlikely you would be able to economically improve your living (unlikely employer would hire you in high skilled jobs and not even allowed to undertake further studies under this status)
All EE applicants are adults who have at least a post-sec degree, so they are fully aware of the situation, the pros and cons. If they are not capable of doing that, I think moving to a new country is not the best ting for them. Or they have their own personal reasons to stay.