+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International students with 2 years work exp and no ITA-- what are your plans?

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
I have completed my undergrad(+internship) in Canada and now have 2+ years of post grad work experience. Yet I cannot make the cut to get an ITA.

By now there should be thousands of you like me out there. In this job market, it is not easy to get exactly 3 years of work experience out of a 3 year work permit. Job hunting alone can cost a few months out of that. So I was just curious, what are you guys planning to do?

The way I see it, I inevitably will have to apply for a bridge work permit, just so i can squeeze out 3 years of work out of this. That too will only give me a year of headroom and will depend on certain circumstances.

One of my friend was forced to start a masters degree because he couldn't get enough work experience. (He worked in the petroleum/energy sector, so it was hard after he got laid off). He had to pay for the masters out of his pocket.

Some of my other friends faced the worst. Because of insufficient work experience, they had to leave Canada after their post grad work permit expired. I'm sure they could have managed to extend their work permit, but without a employer backing you up at that point, it would have been tough.

This post is not gonna solve anything, and I'm just venting out here. But overall I was just curious on what people think and what their plans are.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went back home and received an ITA a few weeks ago.

So it worked out for me ;)

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all, the minister said there will be changes to EE and international graduates will have greatest acces to PR. I dont know if it is true or not I ve been told not to believe in any polititian s promise, but that s the only ray of hope inter. Grads have so far. There are thousands of people waitiing for an ita and also waiting for a job offer or a nomination, the system is not fair and people already expressed their complains and a few days ago minister said in a conference that changes in EE will be announced in up coming weeks :( sorry man

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
DelPiero07 said:
I went back home and received an ITA a few weeks ago.

So it worked out for me ;)
Glad it worked out for you. I suppose many others were in your situation too.

But this is frustrating. I'm trying to build a career here and working in a very reputable position. It's not easy to drop all this and go back.

While we may get a PR sooner or later, time and age is not on our side. I'm due for a promotion at work and management would obviously want to avoid giving it to the 'wrong' guy.

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tsf14 said:

But this is frustrating. I'm trying to build a career here and working in a very reputable position. It's not easy to drop all this and go back.

While we may get a PR sooner or later, time and age is not on our side. I'm due for a promotion at work and management would obviously want to avoid giving it to the 'wrong' guy.
:( dont know what to say.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tsf14 said:

Apply for PNP?

msudershan2

Star Member
Apr 8, 2016
Bangalore
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-11-2016
Doc's Request.
No Document Request Came
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
27-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
06-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-11-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
13-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2017
LANDED..........
25-09-2017
I was on same boat when in the UK. UK didn't want to encourage PR beyond 2010 when I completed my master! I did my BSc and MSc in the UK. However here I am in India got my ITA few weeks back! I will suggest you to get either Masters or Get Foreign Work Ex! But calculating your score could easily come to 469 (With CLB 10 IELTS). Its only span of weeks when cut off will be 460/450 (As what people are saying on this forum)

jsingh17

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sitting at 441. My score will bump up to 466 in a couple of months when I complete my second year at work. Hopefully, by that time the cutoff score will drop below 466!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
pnp is the only way out

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
jsingh17 said:
I am sitting at 441. My score will bump up to 466 in a couple of months when I complete my second year at work. Hopefully, by that time the cutoff score will drop below 466!
same boat!!
I am at 442 and in Jan i will be at 467 with 2 yr work exp.
When are you going to get 2 yr exp. ?

I am just hoping, after few months there should not be too many applicant with PNP or LIMA, that will take the draw up again.

jsingh17

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nick~Nick said:
same boat!!
I am at 442 and in Jan i will be at 467 with 2 yr work exp.
When are you going to get 2 yr exp. ?

I am just hoping, after few months there should not be too many applicant with PNP or LIMA, that will take the draw up again.
End of Jan 2017. I think, by that time, Ontario will be done issuing PNP's so the cutoff score should drop to around 450. Unless, CRS scoring changes.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
omarimam said:
One is only allowed to apply for PNP within 2 years of graduation! thats why he is frustrated.

Best of luck to all of us!

Thanks
SINP-EE, OINP-EE, MPNP for MB experience, PEI, NBPNP