+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student: Public vs Private Institutions

olaKaf89

Star Member
May 24, 2021
International students coming to Canada, please do your research and make sure the school you are applying to is a recognized and registered institution. A lot of private schools are usually one or the other; Toronto Film School for example is registered but not recognized according to the CICIC website. This can lead to ineligibility for a post graduate work permit and even PR refusal. Please do your due diligence. In my opinion, it's better to seek admissions in public universities, you can guarantee getting a PGWP upon graduating.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
International students coming to Canada, please do your research and make sure the school you are applying to is a recognized and registered institution. A lot of private schools are usually one or the other; Toronto Film School for example is registered but not recognized according to the CICIC website. This can lead to ineligibility for a post graduate work permit and even PR refusal. Please do your due diligence. In my opinion, it's better to seek admissions in public universities, you can guarantee getting a PGWP upon graduating.
Absolutely agree with this. In addition to the risk of PGWP eligibility, private schools also generally offer a lower qualify of education and have bad reputations with employers in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123 and olaKaf89

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
when it comes to film schools. it is better to go for public colleges or universities but they won't offer you the best education that leads you to the film industry. for example vancouver film school is one of the best film schools in the world. yet it is not eligible for pgwp. in the other side. it will lead you to a successful career in the film industry, especially the top-tier one in Vancouver and Hollywood. most of their grads working in the best production companies in the world. since professionals from the industry teach there and take / hire students after gradation. if you have skills and talent with money to invest. i would say go for it. most of my filmmaker friends who went there got all high paying jobs in Vancouver and Toronto. no need for pgwp.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
when it comes to film schools. it is better to go for public colleges or universities but they won't offer you the best education that leads you to the film industry. for example vancouver film school is one of the best film schools in the world. yet it is not eligible for pgwp. in the other side. it will lead you to a successful career in the film industry, especially the top-tier one in Vancouver and Hollywood. most of their grads working in the best production companies in the world. since professionals from the industry teach there and take / hire students after gradation. if you have skills and talent with money to invest. i would say go for it. most of my filmmaker friends who went there got all high paying jobs in Vancouver and Toronto. no need for pgwp.
I think that's a rare exception. I am surprised the VFS is not on the list. It's very well known locally and internationally.

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
I think that's a rare exception. I am surprised the VFS is not on the list. It's very well known locally and internationally.
honestly i want to go there but there fees are so crazy + no option for PGWP. 45k for international and 35k for locals. but they offer the best of the best in the world. almost all of their grads work in the best production companies in north America and hollywood. but it comes with high risk that if you are not talented to make it to the top then you will have to leave the country after spending all of papa's money :DD