+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student application from inside canada

Riya Patel

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Hi

I am on visitor visa in Canada and now i want to apply for study permit. I am confused about up coming new rules. I want to study Post graduate and i have my offer letter form the college also all the require document are ready for visa application. I relay don't know whether i need to apply after 1st June or i should apply immediately.

adi9771

Aug 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
14-02-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-03-2013.
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2013.
LANDED..........
21-04-2013
Riya Patel said:
Hi

I am on visitor visa in Canada and now i want to apply for study permit. I am confused about up coming new rules. I want to study Post graduate and i have my offer letter form the college also all the require document are ready for visa application. I relay don't know whether i need to apply after 1st June or i should apply immediately.
I don't think you can apply for student visa while you are in Canada. you have to go back to your home country for that.

Riya Patel

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I can do that, i have checked with cic. Also my sister applied last year only. She also came on visitor visa and applied her study permit while she was in Canada. the only condition is we need to send application to USA (Los Angels or New york) for visa as per the current rules ( that's call apply from out side Canada) . But as new rules is going to introduce by 1st June and according to that if we are on visitor visa we can apply study permit from inside Canada.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But as new rules is going to introduce by 1st June and according to that if we are on visitor visa we can apply study permit from inside Canada.
No, you (a visitor) cannot. Only those who have been studying in Canada already will be able to do that : like a high school student applying for SP to continue at the University in Canada.

Present Rule :Visitors may not apply for a study permit from within Canada

NEW RULE since June 1, 2104 :
Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or a visiting student at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp
Not "just a visitor".
Concerning how to apply from visitor visa for SP through Los Angelos- why do not you ask your sister?

Riya Patel

Star Member
May 12, 2014
what about my sister she did it, she applied for January 2014 intake and she was through with her visa. i have seen her study permit. even if you will call cic call center they also provide option that if you are in Canada with the valid temporary status (Visitor Visa) we can apply for study permit from out side Canada as per the current rules. and from next month onwards any visitor can apply study permit from inside Canada. please check the cic website.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I gave you a link to the new rules. And a quote from there.

But I can repeat it again:
As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:

minor children studying at the primary or secondary level;
exchange or visiting students; and
students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp
Nothing about visitors.

So IF YOU COULD give an OFFICIAL link from www.cic.gc.ca that visitors will be able to apply for SP from INSIDE of Canada it will be nice of you. :)

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any ideas on applying student visa from closed work permit within canada ?

I came on lmo and now have admit from coll to study.

my work permit was for 2 years and will expire on 30th dec 2014.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
No (Jan 11, 2017 Decision Made on ECAS)
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Hi Riya Patel,

This has been being my concern also. As I am in the same situation as you, Now I am a visitor in Canada and I want to get an SP.

I am planning to apply within the new regulations.

If you are in Canada as a visitor and wish to apply for a study permit to attend a designated learning institution, you may be able to do so from within Canada. As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:

-minor children studying at the primary or secondary level;
-exchange or visiting students; and
-students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.
However, I am now really afraid if my country wont be on the list of certain foreign nationals.
The new regulations page before (cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp) doesnt have that "certain foreign nationals" phrase. But I think, even my country is not on the list, I can still apply. Because now I am taking a short-term course that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution (point number 3).

Do you think so? What do you think Regina?

Thank you

dok

Apr 20, 2014
richardlin said:
However, I am now really afraid if my country wont be on the list of certain foreign nationals.
The new regulations page before (cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp) doesnt have that "certain foreign nationals" phrase. But I think, even my country is not on the list, I can still apply. Because now I am taking a short-term course that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution (point number 3).

Do you think so? What do you think Regina?

Thank you
The above roles refer to students who went to Canada on a visitors' visa because their program/course was less than 6 months required to apply for study permit. Now according to the new rules, such students from certain countries on short courses holding visitors visa could apply for study permit inside Canada. I think if your country doesn't fall into it, then you can't really apply from inside. If you've a long term plan to continue your studies, it's always advisable to apply for study permit instead of visitors visa by providing SOP even if your course is less than 6 months.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately on www.cic.gc.ca there are nothing about any "lists of elligible countries".
May be you mean visa-exempt countries? Do not think it refers to them either.
I think it is nothing about "countries" at all. It is about some conditions (listed in the quote) of ANY of foreign students.

Para 3 says :students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.

This could be an option BUT it is not clear if you need to get conditional acceptance letter from the uni first? Or you just could go with TRV (or without it if you are visa-exempt) hoping that at POE you will be granted 6 months stay and then enroll into university and take a short term course.

You see it is still a misrepresentation if you ask TVR for a VISIT with a real but secret :) intention to go to school. I do not think CIC incourages it.
Maybe it is still possible if you get a permission for 6 months stay at POE, and start your pre-requisite course not in the next day after you have crossed the border? Nothing is clear right now but it definitely does not allow ANY visitor to apply for SP from within Canada.

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
propain said:
Any ideas on applying student visa from closed work permit within canada ?

I came on lmo and now have admit from coll to study.

my work permit was for 2 years and will expire on 30th dec 2014.
You cannot apply for study permit. you have to exit canada and apply study permit then. But you can always call CIC for clarification.

Habil

Feb 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
People are really confused about these coming changes in June.....You can very well apply for the student visa while inside....you dont have to go back home to do so....Not now...but after June 1......

Riya Patel

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Hi i received IMM5740 from CIC and in this letter they require my passport. I don't understand what that mean?