+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student application from inside canada

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Riya Patel said:
Hi i received IMM5740 from CIC and in this letter they require my passport. I don't understand what that mean?
When applicant receives this form, it probably means that a positive decision has been made on your application and your original passport is required to finalise the process. This normally happens if the applicant requires TRV. So you forward your original passport to the CIC office handling your application. You indicated this on your online application during the questionnaire.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
No (Jan 11, 2017 Decision Made on ECAS)
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Hi dok, thanks for your response.
after june 1st they have released the new regulations, but still I couldn't find any list of countries regarding to this. So, I am even more confused. I went to an immigration lawyer and he couldn't find the list as well. :(

dok said:
The above roles refer to students who went to Canada on a visitors' visa because their program/course was less than 6 months required to apply for study permit. Now according to the new rules, such students from certain countries on short courses holding visitors visa could apply for study permit inside Canada. I think if your country doesn't fall into it, then you can't really apply from inside. If you've a long term plan to continue your studies, it's always advisable to apply for study permit instead of visitors visa by providing SOP even if your course is less than 6 months.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Hi Regina, thanks for your answer.

Until after they released the new regulation on june 1st, there is no list of countries also.
so ya, maybe you are true.

I came in Canada with a visitor visa (non visa exempt countries). So I actually finished a short english course, and I passed the minimum requirement to go into an academic program in a designated university. Hopefully my application will be accepted.

Again thanks.

Regina said:
Unfortunately on there are nothing about any "lists of elligible countries".
May be you mean visa-exempt countries? Do not think it refers to them either.
I think it is nothing about "countries" at all. It is about some conditions (listed in the quote) of ANY of foreign students.

Para 3 says :students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.

This could be an option BUT it is not clear if you need to get conditional acceptance letter from the uni first? Or you just could go with TRV (or without it if you are visa-exempt) hoping that at POE you will be granted 6 months stay and then enroll into university and take a short term course.

You see it is still a misrepresentation if you ask TVR for a VISIT with a real but secret :) intention to go to school. I do not think CIC incourages it.
Maybe it is still possible if you get a permission for 6 months stay at POE, and start your pre-requisite course not in the next day after you have crossed the border? Nothing is clear right now but it definitely does not allow ANY visitor to apply for SP from within Canada.

study789

Dec 12, 2014
Riya Patel said:
Hi i received IMM5740 from CIC and in this letter they require my passport. I don't understand what that mean?
Hi,Riya Patel,
Have you got your study permit within Canada ? I want to know what is the information in your acceptance letter to meet CIC requirement in point three? thx in advance.

study789

Dec 12, 2014
richardlin said:
Hi Riya Patel,

This has been being my concern also. As I am in the same situation as you, Now I am a visitor in Canada and I want to get an SP.

I am planning to apply within the new regulations.

However, I am now really afraid if my country wont be on the list of certain foreign nationals.
The new regulations page before (cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-02-12.asp) doesnt have that "certain foreign nationals" phrase. But I think, even my country is not on the list, I can still apply. Because now I am taking a short-term course that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution (point number 3).

Do you think so? What do you think Regina?

Thank you
Hi,Richardlin
How is your application going ? I also meet same case as you. Could you kindly tell me your processing? Thx in advance~

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Sorry for my late response.

I hope somebody can still find my experience useful.

So I got my SP while I am in Canada, but I apply "outside" by sending my application by mail to the Canadian Embassy in LA, USA.

study789 said:
Hi,Richardlin
How is your application going ? I also meet same case as you. Could you kindly tell me your processing? Thx in advance~

honey_quim08

Oct 6, 2014
Hi Richardlin,

So this means that even if you took a short english course you still need to apply the student permit outside Canada right? Anyways, what are the documents you submitted to Canadian Embassy in LA? How long is the processing? Is there an interview?

Thanks in advance. Your experience is very helpful :)

richardlin said:
Sorry for my late response.

I hope somebody can still find my experience useful.

So I got my SP while I am in Canada, but I apply "outside" by sending my application by mail to the Canadian Embassy in LA, USA.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
You are right, so if it's not necessary you shouldn't take any English course! I applied through this company/organization called CVAC (Canada Visa Application Centre), they are officially appointed by the Canadian Embassy to process visa application.

Go to this link: https://www.csc-cvac.com/en-us/selfservice/cvac_docs_forms_checklists
You can find what documents are required. You can also email or call them, they were very helpful for me.

It took me about 3 months, and there was no interview.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application!

honey_quim08 said:
Hi Richardlin,

So this means that even if you took a short english course you still need to apply the student permit outside Canada right? Anyways, what are the documents you submitted to Canadian Embassy in LA? How long is the processing? Is there an interview?

Thanks in advance. Your experience is very helpful :)