+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance Issues in Canada. I desperately need help.

Kboss1991

Nov 9, 2020
I don't know what to do anymore. I got to Canada last year in November, I have been driving my U.S. car here and intended to export it from the US and import it to Canada and then the pandemic happened. Now I find out that I cannot get car insurance in Canada unless my car is registered here, and I cannot register it here without it being exported from the US and imported here. My insurance will not cover me in Canada for more than 30 days, so I am essentially stuck without insurance for right now. This is my only way to get around right now, my job is not on a bus route. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know if you can still export/import with border closures? I doubt that I will be able to, and another issue is that my car needs to be left in the US for 3 days prior to it being exported from there. But if I even step foot there don't I have to quarantine?

I am SO stressed out.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You were supposed to do this within 60 days so before the pandemic happened. Call CBSA as they have lifted the 60 day requirement but you should have done this way before March. So Covid isn’t your excuse.

Kboss1991

Nov 9, 2020
You were supposed to do this within 60 days so before the pandemic happened. Call CBSA as they have lifted the 60 day requirement but you should have done this way before March. So Covid isn’t your excuse.
I don't know what CBSA is, and i also didn't know I even had to do it before coming here or I wouldn't have bought a brand new car before moving to Canada. But thanks for the snarky reply. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: Kboss1991

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your help. I will definitely give them a call ASAP. I see some other posts where people have imported their car to Canada without exporting it from the United States and I am hoping that is an option for me.
Do you own your car? No financing?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Do you have any valid visa to enter US or not? If you have , then you can simply drive your car to US, spend 3 days and complete the export process. If you don’t have valid visa, it is still fine because it is possible to import the car without exporting. Many who missed exporting like you have managed to import it without much issues. CBSA don’t seem to bother about export stamp anyways and it’s more of compliance from US side. There might be challenges importing back the car to US in future if you relocate there, so just don’t attempt it and sell if you ever move out of Canada.

If you stay in GTA, you can take your car to Lewiston cbsa office and tell them you need to complete the import formality for your car and show your goods to follow. If you had listed this car in goods to follow, then you don’t have pay any import duty. If not , you need to pay 6.5% for anything above 10,000.

Your insurance should still be on as far as I know. Insurance companies won’t cancel it by themselves. The rule from geico is that they will cover as long as you are a visitor to Canada (not a resident) . Unless you go and tell them that you permanently moved, they won’t know about it. Just try to avoid getting in to claim situation. Until you return your US plates to dmv, don’t attempt to cancel your US insurance as it would trigger non compliance from your dmv and can get you even more headaches.

Last edited:

Kboss1991

Nov 9, 2020
Do you have any valid visa to enter US or not? If you have , then you can simply drive your car to US, spend 3 days and complete the export process. If you don’t have valid visa, it is still fine because it is possible to import the car without exporting. Many who missed exporting like you have managed to import it without much issues. CBSA don’t seem to bother about export stamp anyways and it’s more of compliance from US side. There might be challenges importing back the car to US in future if you relocate there, so just don’t attempt it and sell if you ever move out of Canada.

If you stay in GTA, you can take your car to Lewiston cbsa office and tell them you need to complete the import formality for your car and show your goods to follow. If you had listed this car in goods to follow, then you don’t have pay any import duty. If not , you need to pay 6.5% for anything above 10,000.

Your insurance should still be on as far as I know. Insurance companies won’t cancel it by themselves. The rule from geico is that they will cover as long as you are a visitor to Canada (not a resident) . Unless you go and tell them that you permanently moved, they won’t know about it. Just try to avoid getting in to claim situation. Until you return your US plates to dmv, don’t attempt to cancel your US insurance as it would trigger non compliance from your dmv and can get you even more headaches.
I can't spend 3 days in the US without qurantining afterwards and I can't miss that much work unfortunately. I am a united states citizen though and on a study permit here in Canada. What do you mean goods to follow? I'm not sure what that is. Sorry, I'm still new to all of this and it's been quite overwhelming.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can't spend 3 days in the US without qurantining afterwards and I can't miss that much work unfortunately. I am a united states citizen though and on a study permit here in Canada. What do you mean goods to follow? I'm not sure what that is. Sorry, I'm still new to all of this and it's been quite overwhelming.
If you go to the US you'll need to quarantine for 14 days.

ShivaOm

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Not necessarily true depending on what type of permit they have.