+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance Issues in Canada. I desperately need help.

ShivaOm

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
I don't know what to do anymore. I got to Canada last year in November, I have been driving my U.S. car here and intended to export it from the US and import it to Canada and then the pandemic happened. Now I find out that I cannot get car insurance in Canada unless my car is registered here, and I cannot register it here without it being exported from the US and imported here. My insurance will not cover me in Canada for more than 30 days, so I am essentially stuck without insurance for right now. This is my only way to get around right now, my job is not on a bus route. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know if you can still export/import with border closures? I doubt that I will be able to, and another issue is that my car needs to be left in the US for 3 days prior to it being exported from there. But if I even step foot there don't I have to quarantine?

I am SO stressed out.
We have Statefarm insurance and it covers us in Canada as it's both a US and Canadian company.

We went through this whole mess when we got PR in June: whether to permanently export our car into Canada from the US, change license plates, etc., especially with the quarantine. Went to the border office several times and they said not to worry about the import now, and to just keep our US plates. As long as the car is insured you should be fine.

Try calling state farm. Be prepared for the first person you speak to to not know what's going on.

We've had to file claims a couple of times since moving here and it's never been a problem.

Last edited: