Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Whoa, it seems that I either havent seen this comment or did not fully grasp what you said back in late October.

We just applied for her Passport two weeks ago simply to the fact that we've been told it is mandatory!

What you're saying is that she didn't need a passport because she doesn't need a visa?

When she becomes PR, when will she be able to apply for a canadian passport?
Can she hold two passports at the same time?... I feel like we just spent unnecessary money then... Guess we should definitely make use of it though and travel outside of North America for our honeymoon!

Thanks in advance!
Pretty sure she will need a valid passport anyway.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks Zardoz, makes me feel better lol.

Do you have any information regarding Up-front medical for spousal sponsorshipbefore submitting application?

I posted the question in the above thread
The medical is mandatory and I believe that IRCC now prefer you to wait until they request you to do the examination.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#gather

Do your medical exam
All of your family members (who are not already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) need to pass a medical exam, even if they aren’t applying to come to Canada with you. Failure to declare and have family members examined will affect your application, and your ability to sponsor them in the future.

If you have a dependent child who is a minor and you have joint or sole custody, that child is considered a dependant. The child will need a medical exam even if they live with the other parent and won’t be coming with you to Canada.

We’ll send you and each family member a request to complete a medical exam at an appropriate time in processing. This request will include instructions about what to do.

If you have linked your application to an online account, you will receive your instructions in your account immediately after we issue them.

Note: Don’t be concerned if you don’t receive a request to complete medical exams immediately after applying. Because medical results can expire, we might not ask you to do your medical exam right away. This is to reduce the chance that a new medical exam will be required later.

The request to complete a medical exam will provide instructions about what to do.

Once you get a request for a medical exam, you must:

• Print the IMM 1017 form and the instructions for each person.
  • Make sure to bring the form to the exam for each person.
Do the medical exam within 30 days of medical instructions being issued to you.

Note: If you’ve already completed an immigration medical exam, you must provide details in the “medical examination” section of your document checklist. Depending on when the exam was done, you may have to do it again. If you haven’t completed a medical exam or need to do a new one, we’ll send you instructions.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even you are doing an upfront medical 4 months before you getting married is very early. Medicals expire in 1 year and you could be asked to do it again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
up-front medical for spousal sponsorship before submitting application

Hi everyone, looking for a clarification for my fiancé's medical that we have booked this Friday (In Toronto).

We had called yesterday to confirm that her Enhanced Driver's License would be acceptable as they were asking for her Passport, but her passport is still being processed (Following what Canuck78 said above about it being mandatory). It was quite a process, but I spoke to the manager of the medical exam centre and they said that the Enhanced Driver's License is acceptable, but they do not accept regular drivers license. The EDL, let's my fiancé cross back and forth from the border... Anyway, to the main question!

Today I received a call from the same office, but different manager to reschedule (kind of unprofessional to schedule last minute, now we have to leave Detroit-Windsor at 5am to get there for 9am vs our 11am appointment) However, the manager informed me that she "believes" that we should wait to do her Medical until we are requested by CIC. If anyone is following our story, we are getting married in June and are waiting to submit a Married- Spousal sponsorship and not a Conjugal-Spousal sponsorship (as scylla on our other post) The managers concern is, there is no option for the form to input "spousal sponsorship" as there is only 3 options to choose: Student, Worker, or Visitor.

She said that I should wait to have it requested, but is it not mandatory anyway? And would doing it before we submit our application in June- and sending it with our application not speed up the process?

If the answer is that we need to wait until we are requested for one, that would be pretty "silly" as it is the exact same medical no matter if you're a student, Worker, or Visitor. And to that point, I argue the fact that my Fiancé is a Visitor and that that would be the box that she checks off for the medical... If not, we'll have to wait until June, then wait for the response, schedule another appointment with the medical centre and then take time to travel to toronto again for the appointment... Hopefully doing the up-front medical before a spousal sponsorship before submitting application is fine!!

Thank you so much in advance everyone!!
No upfront medical for spousal sponsorship. It is stated in the guide to wait for the medical request.

Whoa, it seems that I either havent seen this comment or did not fully grasp what you said back in late October.

We just applied for her Passport two weeks ago simply to the fact that we've been told it is mandatory!

What you're saying is that she didn't need a passport because she doesn't need a visa?

When she becomes PR, when will she be able to apply for a canadian passport?
Can she hold two passports at the same time?... I feel like we just spent unnecessary money then... Guess we should definitely make use of it though and travel outside of North America for our honeymoon!

Thanks in advance!
The fact that your partner doesn't need a visa does not preclude her from needing a passport. The passport is mandatory and PR will not be granted without it.

She cannot apply for a Canadian passport until becoming a Canadian citizen.

Reactions: canuck78

slochinexpert626

Oct 30, 2018
I'm really appreciative of everyone's response!
I am leaning more so to cancel the Friday appointment and bite the cost of it, however, is there any push back (jeopardize our sponsorship success rate) from doing the medical anyway? And sending it in?

We're going to be doing a second medical regardless, and we're already travelling there. Thank you all for your patience.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm really appreciative of everyone's response!
I am leaning more so to cancel the Friday appointment and bite the cost of it, however, is there any push back (jeopardize our sponsorship success rate) from doing the medical anyway? And sending it in?

We're going to be doing a second medical regardless, and we're already travelling there. Thank you all for your patience.
Tell the office you misunderstood and ask for a refund. If they refuse, tell them you will be filing a complaint with IRCC, as the office provided you with incorrect information about upfront medicals for spousal applicants. Panel Physicians do not want to lose their designation, as immigration medicals are a cash cow, so a complaint threat usually works.

Zero pushback.

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
in case of late pregnancy i suggest u guys land in alberta or in mantiboa . as u will be covered from the very first day of landing.
Hello, I am in Québec and also I don't have health insurance but am pregnant.
My husband is canadian, but sadly his health insurance does not cover his family.
Can we also go to Alberta or Manitoba and be covered?
Thanks.

Punam Devi

Apr 4, 2019
I punam devi came to canada in British Columbia june 2018 with my husband.my husband have two years work permit of farm worker.i have only visitor status to stay with my husband.i am three months pregnant .i am dependent on my husband.so government will cobered my pregnancy in medical service plan or not .i am.not sure.or what is another option for me to covered my pre existing pregnancy

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I punam devi came to canada in British Columbia june 2018 with my husband.my husband have two years work permit of farm worker.i have only visitor status to stay with my husband.i am three months pregnant .i am dependent on my husband.so government will cobered my pregnancy in medical service plan or not .i am.not sure.or what is another option for me to covered my pre existing pregnancy
No medical coverage on a travel visa in BC. Actually pretty rare for farm workers to bring spouses or have continuous employment for the full year. Most only have permits during growing season.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As said above, no coverage. You will be required to pay all costs. If there are complications, the bill could be quite large. If you can't afford that, you should return home to give birth.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A couple from Australia are paying off a million dollar bill for their premature birth in Canada while they were on vacation. Just basic care and uncomplicated vaginal delivery can easily reach over $10,000.

Akash_16

May 7, 2018
yes ramosorevitno, you are fully covered in Alberta and Minitoba!!

personally my wife was planning to land and deliver baby in Ontario, but realized later on that it will cost about CAD 10,000. so we changed plans to Calgary where coverage starts from day 1.

Darbi
Hi,

Can you please confirm if you were able to deliver the baby in Calgary with first day coverage ? Did you pay anything for it or all was covered pls help as we are also in a similar situation.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Can you please confirm if you were able to deliver the baby in Calgary with first day coverage ? Did you pay anything for it or all was covered pls help as we are also in a similar situation.
Just keep in mind, that if you want to go to one of the above provinces, Alberta, Manitoba, the requirement is that you set up camp there, aka, live there. If you go there to primarily to have your baby, then leave to another province, you more than likely will be sent a bill. The provinces EXPECT that if you are going to use their social infrastructure , then you will stay for the required period and contribute to the provinces tax base. Anything less than that is abuse of the healthcare system. ACHIP is not ambivalent , they are well aware people do this
So if you go there, have a baby, and return to for lets say Ontario, expect a bill of the same amount, that you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Last edited: