+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INSURANCE FOR PRE EXISTING CONDITION LIKE PREGNANCY

TOOTB

Jan 24, 2016
There is - but you have to purchased the insurance at least 10 months before you deliver the baby - in other words, you must purchase the insurance before you get pregnance.
This thread is probably old, but still relevant as I find myself in a similar situation.
Which insurance providers do provide such coverage. Any you could recommend? I was searching and came across Arbetov Insurance. Has anyone had experience with their services?

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
This thread is probably old, but still relevant as I find myself in a similar situation.
Which insurance providers do provide such coverage. Any you could recommend? I was searching and came across Arbetov Insurance. Has anyone had experience with their services?
Coverage availability would depend on whether or not person to be insured is pregnant. If she is, then she can only get pregnancy complications coverage (a benefit under a medical emergency insurance policy for visitors to Canada from Manulife). Pregnancy complications coverage is valid for up to the 31st week of insured's pregnancy period and would only cover treatment expenses of bleedings, abdominal pain, pre-mature birth and miscarriage. The final 9 weeks of pregnancy are not covered (delivery is also not covered).

If the applicant is not pregnant, then, like scylla mentioned earlier, the expected date of delivery must be 10 months or more AFTER insurance coverage period has begun. Coverage limit for maternity care including pregnancy complications, pre-natal care and delivery is $10,000. Insured person is reimbursed up to 80% of the expenses for maternity care (within $10,000 limit). Such coverage is offered under Allianz's inpatriates to Canada plan.

Arbetov Insurance is a medical insurance broker, not an insurer, just FYI.

MSVJACK

Jun 7, 2018
i will be going on November and will be staying at my relatives place.

i also heard that pregnancy is covered from the forum, but did not read it from an official source. i tried looking for it in the internet, but failed to find something that says pregnancy is covered. so i sent as email to the Ministry of Health and Wellness in Alberta asking about the coverage and the answer was as follows:

"Thank you for your inquiry.
All of the procedures and anesthetics involved in a routine labor and delivery or C-section are covered under Alberta Health and Wellness for Alberta residents. The only service surrounding the situation that is not covered is a routine circumcision for a new born male. You can contact our Claims Inquiry Line toll free at 310-0000-780-422-1600 or 780 422-1600 in the Edmonton area."

"Transportation by any means is not part of the Canada Health Act so it is not included in your health care benefits coverage. It is for this reason that citizens are encouraged to purchase extended plans like Alberta Blue Cross to cover those costs outside of standard health care benefits. If third party insurance is not an option for payment you would be responsible.
Prescription drugs are not covered by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan."

"If you have further questions please contact:
Ministry of Alberta Health And Wellness
Edmonton: 780-427-1432
Other areas in Alberta (toll-free): dial 310-0000 followed by 780-427-1432
Outside Alberta: 780-427-1432
Email: Health.AHCIPMail@gov.ab.ca"

I hope this helps and best of luck

regards,
Darbi
Hi Darbi, Please let me know what was happened next, does they (AHCIP) covered all your wife's hospital expenses. I'm also in a similar situation, please advise.

slochinexpert626

Oct 30, 2018
Glad I came across this feed. My fiance is currently residing in Michigan, and I in Southwestern Ontario (Detroit-Windsor).
We have yet to start her sponsorship process into Canada, but our underlying concern is unplanned pregnancy when we are married in June 2019. We practice NFP methodology, and in the event that we are blessed with a child (even when not planned) she would not be covered by my OHIP.

I've ruled out having the baby in America, since we have no coverage there, and since we can apply for the child's american citizenship at a later time.

Right now, from what I have read, we potentially have three options:
1) We can opt for getting a midwife, which is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (Praying for no birth complications, or else the bill is on us or hopefully through my company insurance, ie: hospital fees, etc) My fiance is currently opposed to the mid-wife method... which I agree, giving birth at your house with no anesthetics is not something I would want;
2) We can get Pregnancy Insurance through Arbetov Insurance and pay around $1300 (including tax) and have peace of mind, unless the entire pregnancy goes over $10k coverage; or
This I'm not sure of, and is my question 3) Travel to our neighboring province to our left, Manitoba and be covered by their Health Insurance?

Would the third option work for us
I mean, after all this research, it seems that the $1300 will be spent on the plane ticket there and back ($1000 for two people), as well as, time and effort being in Manitoba vs Ontario.

I wish that I was the American and she was the Canadian so that we wouldn't have to go through all of this, or if my OHIP covered a "genuine" marriage's child birth, since the child is equally both of ours. It's just interesting that after the child is born, he/she will have OHIP, I have OHIP, but my then wife, won't... seems like a flaw in the system to me...

Hopefully this helps anyone else out as well!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Glad I came across this feed. My fiance is currently residing in Michigan, and I in Southwestern Ontario (Detroit-Windsor).
We have yet to start her sponsorship process into Canada, but our underlying concern is unplanned pregnancy when we are married in June 2019. We practice NFP methodology, and in the event that we are blessed with a child (even when not planned) she would not be covered by my OHIP.

I've ruled out having the baby in America, since we have no coverage there, and since we can apply for the child's american citizenship at a later time.

Right now, from what I have read, we potentially have three options:
1) We can opt for getting a midwife, which is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (Praying for no birth complications, or else the bill is on us) My fiance is currently opposed to the mid-wife method... which I agree, giving birth at your house with no anesthetics is not something I would want;
2) We can get Pregnancy Insurance through Arbetov Insurance and pay around $1300 (including tax) and have peace of mind, unless the entire pregnancy goes over $10k coverage; or
This I'm not sure of, and is my question 3) Travel to our neighboring province to our left, Manitoba and be covered by their Health Insurance?

Would the third option work for us
I mean, after all this research, it seems that the $1300 will be spent on the plane ticket there and back ($1000 for two people), as well as, time and effort being in Manitoba vs Ontario.

I wish that I was the American and she was the Canadian so that we wouldn't have to go through all of this, or if my OHIP covered a "genuine" marriage's child birth, since the child is equally both of ours. It's just interesting that after the child is born, he/she will have OHIP, I have OHIP, but my then wife, won't... seems like a flaw in the system to me...

Hopefully this helps anyone else out as well!
1) This is not a great option since midwives are in short supply and you might not be able to find one.
2) This is your best / only realistic option. Make sure you read the fine print to see what the exclusions are. Also, this insurance typically has to be purchased before pregnancy.
3) This is not an option. It will be seen as trying to cheat the health care system and you'll end up with a bill that's larger than if you had just paid out of pocket.

Child gets OHIP coverage because they are a Canadian citizen by virtue of being born in Canada. Your wife does not get coverage as a visitor (non-citizen, non-PR). No flaw - perfectly logical.

Reactions: slochinexpert626

slochinexpert626

Oct 30, 2018
1) This is not a great option since midwives are in short supply and you might not be able to find one.
2) This is your best / only realistic option. Make sure you read the fine print to see what the exclusions are. Also, this insurance typically has to be purchased before pregnancy.
3) This is not an option. It will be seen as trying to cheat the health care system and you'll end up with a bill that's larger than if you had just paid out of pocket.

Child gets OHIP coverage because they are a Canadian citizen by virtue of being born in Canada. Your wife does not get coverage as a visitor (non-citizen, non-PR). No flaw - perfectly logical.
Thanks for the prompt response Scylla, it seems that you are very well versed and knowledgeable! And thank you for saying that 'that' would be cheating the system (Which is not our goal/ intent at all). I was about to post this on another thread, but I wonder if you may have the answers?

Regarding my fiance's sponsorship process into Canada, our main concern is Pregnancy (As stated above). But I have a few more questions...
1) Do you receive OHIP upon successful sponsorship? Or is there still a waiting period on top of the 3 months after receiving PR? The reason why we are in this whole ordeal (Happily, and willingly) is because we practice NFP, and will not use any contraceptives to prevent pregnancy. We also believe in the Catholic Church’s teachings from the Catechism on Cohabitation. Which is our second question, we are getting married in less than 8 months (So Excited!), in June 2019 and will not have “Marriage status” until then. 2) Will applying now, under Conjugal Relationship Status effect our Sponsorship success rate? Would our Religious reasons as to why we cannot cohabitate and have a Common-Law relationship be viable? Giving proof and evidence, including letters from our Credible Marriage Preparation program? Or Should we wait until we are married in June next year to send in the paperwork with "Status: Married"?

3) Should we apply Inland vs Outland? I've heard both are 12 month processes now... but when we are married we will travel into USA 3-4 times per month, and apparently there is a risk of her denial into Canada and losing sponsorship process. I travel 3-4 times to USA per week right now, and she travels into Canada once every 2-3 months.

4) Would her not going to work or school affect her sponsorship success chances? As I will be the primary breadwinner, and she will be working on her music career and business (Both online, and no earnings in Canada). Would this somehow show that she is not a "contributing future citizen"?

5) I have heard/ read that Canadian sponsoring American is typically approved in 4-6 months, what could we do to smooth out this process and succeed in 4-6 months? Is this worth involving and hiring a lawyer?

Thank you so much in advance! I appreciate it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the prompt response Scylla, it seems that you are very well versed and knowledgeable! And thank you for saying that 'that' would be cheating the system (Which is not our goal/ intent at all). I was about to post this on another thread, but I wonder if you may have the answers?

Regarding my fiance's sponsorship process into Canada, our main concern is Pregnancy (As stated above). But I have a few more questions...
1) Do you receive OHIP upon successful sponsorship? Or is there still a waiting period on top of the 3 months after receiving PR? The reason why we are in this whole ordeal (Happily, and willingly) is because we practice NFP, and will not use any contraceptives to prevent pregnancy. We also believe in the Catholic Church’s teachings from the Catechism on Cohabitation. Which is our second question, we are getting married in less than 8 months (So Excited!), in June 2019 and will not have “Marriage status” until then. 2) Will applying now, under Conjugal Relationship Status effect our Sponsorship success rate? Would our Religious reasons as to why we cannot cohabitate and have a Common-Law relationship be viable? Giving proof and evidence, including letters from our Credible Marriage Preparation program? Or Should we wait until we are married in June next year to send in the paperwork with "Status: Married"?

3) Should we apply Inland vs Outland? I've heard both are 12 month processes now... but when we are married we will travel into USA 3-4 times per month, and apparently there is a risk of her denial into Canada and losing sponsorship process. I travel 3-4 times to USA per week right now, and she travels into Canada once every 2-3 months.

4) Would her not going to work or school affect her sponsorship success chances? As I will be the primary breadwinner, and she will be working on her music career and business (Both online, and no earnings in Canada). Would this somehow show that she is not a "contributing future citizen"?

5) I have heard/ read that Canadian sponsoring American is typically approved in 4-6 months, what could we do to smooth out this process and succeed in 4-6 months? Is this worth involving and hiring a lawyer?

If you can't afford the cost of a birth (a c-section will be over 10K) and the cost of prenatal care and a vaginal birth will likely be close or over 10K and refuse to use contraception you have a simple choice...abstinence. I would be very careful and read through any insurance policy. If you are not using any form of birth control and purchase insurance right before your wedding I'd anticipate a thorough review of your case. If your wife is an American citizen she has the option to buy health insurance in the US or she may be able to qualify for medicaid. Childbirth and prenatal care is covered in some form for US citizens. Your application for sponsorship plus the OHIP waiting period of 3 months will likely lead to a lack of coverage if you get pregnant soon after marriage. If you decide to not prevent pregnancy for your entire marriage there will be many sacrifices including perhaps living apart to qualify for healthcare insurance and working multiple jobs in order to afford a large family. Best of luck!

Reactions: slochinexpert626

slochinexpert626

Oct 30, 2018
If you can't afford the cost of a birth (a c-section will be over 10K) and the cost of prenatal care and a vaginal birth will likely be close or over 10K and refuse to use contraception you have a simple choice...abstinence. I would be very careful and read through any insurance policy. If you are not using any form of birth control and purchase insurance right before your wedding I'd anticipate a thorough review of your case. If your wife is an American citizen she has the option to buy health insurance in the US or she may be able to qualify for medicaid. Childbirth and prenatal care is covered in some form for US citizens. Your application for sponsorship plus the OHIP waiting period of 3 months will likely lead to a lack of coverage if you get pregnant soon after marriage. If you decide to not prevent pregnancy for your entire marriage there will be many sacrifices including perhaps living apart to qualify for healthcare insurance and working multiple jobs in order to afford a large family. Best of luck!
Thanks Canuck78 for the reply! And yes, the costs and everything are actually not my concern, I am able to provide, and if blessed, we are ready for a big family! The reason why I'm going into this research is because, as a dutiful and proud Canadian, paying my taxes, serving the military, and always involving myself with the betterment of my city, if we have an OHIP system in place, and I don't need to spend the $20K+ then why not?

I had a question that came up from another thread I was reading, After reviewing timelines of sponsorship it shows "PPR" which I believe is "Passport Requested." My fiance has been travelling into Canada with her Enhanced Driver's License, does she need to get a Passport to qualify for Sponsorship?

Thanks again in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Canuck78 for the reply! And yes, the costs and everything are actually not my concern, I am able to provide, and if blessed, we are ready for a big family! The reason why I'm going into this research is because, as a dutiful and proud Canadian, paying my taxes, serving the military, and always involving myself with the betterment of my city, if we have an OHIP system in place, and I don't need to spend the $20K+ then why not?

I had a question that came up from another thread I was reading, After reviewing timelines of sponsorship it shows "PPR" which I believe is "Passport Requested." My fiance has been travelling into Canada with her Enhanced Driver's License, does she need to get a Passport to qualify for Sponsorship?

Thanks again in advance!
Passport is mandatory to apply for PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. 3 months from becoming a PR.

2. Zero chance of conjugal. There are no legal or immigration barriers preventing you from marrying or becoming common-law. Your religious beliefs are a personal choice.

3. As stated in the application, apply outland if you plan to leave during the process.

4. No effect.

5. Submit a complete app. No point in hiring a lawyer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks again in advance!
Yes passport is mandatory. The point is that you have been paying the taxes not your future wife. While you have contributed to society, I'm sure you have benefitted from various services, infrastructure etc. as a Canadian. When your wife finally become a Canadian PR (plus 3 months) she will also start contributing to Canada and will be able to benefit in return. You are well educated on the implications of getting pregnant without having Canadian PR or citizenship so you need plan accordingly whether it be abstain, plan for your wife to receive prenatal care plus birth in the US or you pay. You mentioned that there is the option of a midwife. Some midwifes seem to take on a few clients a year pro bono who don't have health coverage. They are doing this because they believe women need to be supported during pregnancy. If you can afford to pay please don't take advantage of their kindness. They deserve to be compensated for their time and expertise.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Thanks again in advance!
There will be no "PPR" phase in her application, simply because it's not needed. There is no visa required, and therefore no need to send off the passport to receive one.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Hi, is there any insurance that covers pregnancy check-up's and delivery? My health insurance from my homecountry only covers for europe and my travel insurance only for emergencies :-[
thank you
As far as I know, there is a single medical insurance plan for visitors to Canada that covers deliver - Allianz Global Assistance Inpatriates to Canada insurance plan - this pregnancy insurance plan has a waiting period of 2 months after the effective date of the policy commences.

slochinexpert626

Oct 30, 2018
up-front medical for spousal sponsorship before submitting application

Hi everyone, looking for a clarification for my fiancé's medical that we have booked this Friday (In Toronto).

We had called yesterday to confirm that her Enhanced Driver's License would be acceptable as they were asking for her Passport, but her passport is still being processed (Following what Canuck78 said above about it being mandatory). It was quite a process, but I spoke to the manager of the medical exam centre and they said that the Enhanced Driver's License is acceptable, but they do not accept regular drivers license. The EDL, let's my fiancé cross back and forth from the border... Anyway, to the main question!

Today I received a call from the same office, but different manager to reschedule (kind of unprofessional to schedule last minute, now we have to leave Detroit-Windsor at 5am to get there for 9am vs our 11am appointment) However, the manager informed me that she "believes" that we should wait to do her Medical until we are requested by CIC. If anyone is following our story, we are getting married in June and are waiting to submit a Married- Spousal sponsorship and not a Conjugal-Spousal sponsorship (as scylla on our other post) The managers concern is, there is no option for the form to input "spousal sponsorship" as there is only 3 options to choose: Student, Worker, or Visitor.

She said that I should wait to have it requested, but is it not mandatory anyway? And would doing it before we submit our application in June- and sending it with our application not speed up the process?

If the answer is that we need to wait until we are requested for one, that would be pretty "silly" as it is the exact same medical no matter if you're a student, Worker, or Visitor. And to that point, I argue the fact that my Fiancé is a Visitor and that that would be the box that she checks off for the medical... If not, we'll have to wait until June, then wait for the response, schedule another appointment with the medical centre and then take time to travel to toronto again for the appointment... Hopefully doing the up-front medical before a spousal sponsorship before submitting application is fine!!

Thank you so much in advance everyone!!

slochinexpert626

Oct 30, 2018
There will be no "PPR" phase in her application, simply because it's not needed. There is no visa required, and therefore no need to send off the passport to receive one.
Whoa, it seems that I either havent seen this comment or did not fully grasp what you said back in late October.

We just applied for her Passport two weeks ago simply to the fact that we've been told it is mandatory!

What you're saying is that she didn't need a passport because she doesn't need a visa?

When she becomes PR, when will she be able to apply for a canadian passport?
Can she hold two passports at the same time?... I feel like we just spent unnecessary money then... Guess we should definitely make use of it though and travel outside of North America for our honeymoon!

Thanks in advance!