+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiry on work experience requirement for CEC

googler

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
Hi there fellow members

I have a question about work experience requirements for CEC. For an international student holding study permit and off-campus work permit, does the work experience during spring or summer counts? Because the guideline says experience while student is engaged in full-time study is not acceptable, however, there is no coursework during spring or summer and the student is not engaged in full-time study during that time.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Work experience gained on an off-campus work permit does not count. See the instruction guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp#5609E2

Note: Any periods of self-employment, unauthorized work, or periods of employment during which you were engaged in full-time study (e.g. work experience gained on a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit) will not be included when calculating the period of qualifying work experience.

arbutus

Aug 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jun-12
Doc's Request.
28-Mar-13
AOR Received.
31-Jul-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
9-Apr-13
Med's Done....
10-Apr-13
Furthermore, the same page states that "If you are a student and graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, you can gain the work experience required for CEC through the Post-Graduate Work Permit". Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to use your work experience acquired before graduation to meet CEC criteria at this time.

vicky_india

Feb 11, 2013
Hi Friends, need some expert advise.I have 9 months and 10 days of full time work Exp. in Canada . I am a IT professional and was working at onsite .Daily working hours was 8 hours.which makes it 40 hours per week.If I am calculating no.of hours required I am getting the required no. Of hours (i.e. eqivalent to 6 hours per day for a year).I am still working for the same Canadian client from offshore.

Request u all frds to give Ur valuable opinion.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vicky_india said:
Hi Friends, need some expert advise.I have 9 months and 10 days of full time work Exp. in Canada . I am a IT professional and was working at onsite .Daily working hours was 8 hours.which makes it 40 hours per week.If I am calculating no.of hours required I am getting the required no. Of hours (i.e. eqivalent to 6 hours per day for a year).I am still working for the same Canadian client from offshore.

Request u all frds to give Ur valuable opinion.
I didn't see a question in there, but if you're asking whether you can meet the requirements on hours only, the answer is no. You have to have worked at least 1 year, full-time, in Canada.

donutbear

Jan 24, 2013
hi there

i have a question on the computation of the work experience for CEC. i work as a teacher so we have spring break and winter break, do breaks or leaves count in the computation of the work experience?

arbutus

Aug 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jun-12
Doc's Request.
28-Mar-13
AOR Received.
31-Jul-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
9-Apr-13
Med's Done....
10-Apr-13
I think scheduled, paid breaks do count, but an unpaid leave of absence doesn't.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I agree with arbutus. Spring break / fall break are probably part of your contract. Summer break is a different matter...

vicky_india

Feb 11, 2013
jes_ON said:
I didn't see a question in there, but if you're asking whether you can meet the requirements on hours only, the answer is no. You have to have worked at least 1 year, full-time, in Canada.

[Thanks a lot for your advise. I am still looking for a second opinion if any of us here has the similar cases. It would be great if they share their case with similar circumctances.

If we go through the eligibiity criterion, it is mentioned like "1 year of full time or equivalent in part time.Full time has been referred as 6 hours of work per day" They have not elaborated what parttime means. The no. of hours or required experience can be gained little earlier than 1 year also. Please share your opinion. Thanks a lot. ]

vicky_india

Feb 11, 2013
Thanks a lot for your advise. I am still looking for a second opinion if any of us here has the similar cases. It would be great if they share their case with similar circumctances.

If we go through the eligibiity criterion, it is mentioned like "1 year of full time or equivalent in part time.Full time has been referred as 6 hours of work per day" They have not elaborated what parttime means. The no. of hours or required experience can be gained little earlier than 1 year also. Please share your opinion. Thanks a lot.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vicky_india said:
Thanks a lot for your advise. I am still looking for a second opinion if any of us here has the similar cases. It would be great if they share their case with similar circumctances.

If we go through the eligibiity criterion, it is mentioned like "1 year of full time or equivalent in part time.Full time has been referred as 6 hours of work per day" They have not elaborated what parttime means. The no. of hours or required experience can be gained little earlier than 1 year also. Please share your opinion. Thanks a lot.
Like Jes said - you don't qualify. You need a full year of work experience.

Also, the time you spend working for the Canadian client from an offshore location doesn't count. You must be working from Canada.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vicky_india said:

Not just an opinion, it's in the OP 25-A, p. 6, section 6.3, "Full-time work."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25A-eng.pdf

Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least one year; work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience.

Part-time is fewer than 30 hours per week. By definition, it will take more than 1 year working part-time to meet the "full-time equivalent" (unless you are simultaneously working 2 part-time jobs).