+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship, health insurance options/pregnacy, biometrics for open work permit approval

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
Well, I guess one way to look at this is that you are here together with your spouse. That's positive. (At least I think it is.)

If you read through this forum, you'll see tons of stories of people who have been separated from their spouses / children for months now due to COVID-19 travel restrictions and canceled flights - and have no idea when they will see them again. I can't imagine how stressful that would be.

So at least you are together. That's a good thing.

Good luck. Hope the OWP comes soon.
Totally, i agree thag would be a very difficult time. My spouse works 12- 16hour days and i barely see him. Honestly, ive been comsidering moving back to Washington and starting the application process over. The situation is making me re evaluate a lot. I wouldnt have moved here/ got married when we did if we knew this is how this year was going to play out. I have high anxiety and severe depression already so i knew this year was going to be rough without covid19 playing a factor. I had the idea of being able to go see my family on the weekends and being able to maintain my health coverage in the states. This situation is just extremely difficult. I know theres others going through a more difficult time than me. But its still hard to live with the unknown timeline of events when youre depressed or suicidl for any reason. I rely on my family to keep me going and I cant see them. So i understand on a level what they are going through.
Hi--I'm in a somewhat similar situation and can address everything except for Biometrics, as I haven't received any request or communication on those (I did submit before the new biometrics law went into place, though).

My husband (sponsor) and I married in July 2019 also. Inland PR & OWP applications received October 30, 2019. AOR received December 24th. Request for revised IMM 5669e received March 3, 2020. Revised IMM 5669e uploaded March 7. No communication on PR application since then. I have not heard much regarding my OWP application either, and I have even escalated it to my MP office's attention after 5 months of waiting and 2 webform inquiries. IRCC told me & MP that my application was being reviewed and to basically not request any more status updates, as they were working on the most urgent immigration cases as a priority during the pandemic. It's now been 8 months and have no idea when my OWP will be approved. Many of my fellow October Inland applicants received theirs in January and February, so to say I'm frustrated is putting it mildly. Because the OWP wasn't approved before my Visitor status expired, I had to submit an application to extend my stay as a Visitor. That is currently pending along with my other 2 applications. I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but nothing - especially IRCC's timelines - is predictable during the pandemic. Unfortunately it's more like a waiting game situation. And as someone else stated, the estimated processing times for OWPs doesn't apply for spousal OWPs. The website is misleading.

As for the birth control issue, I agree with the person that recommended the community health centers. If you live in or by a big city, there will certainly be somewhere you can go. Also try Googling women's clinics or sexual health clinics in your area. Many will take you if you can just show proof that you're a resident of Canada, with or without OHIP. They can provide exams and birth control options at very low cost with minimal hassle.

Good luck and hope this all helps!
What is OHIP?
This helped extremely. I will look into the community health center closest to me.
I am sorry you are also in this position.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
Hi--I'm in a somewhat similar situation and can address everything except for Biometrics, as I haven't received any request or communication on those (I did submit before the new biometrics law went into place, though).

My husband (sponsor) and I married in July 2019 also. Inland PR & OWP applications received October 30, 2019. AOR received December 24th. Request for revised IMM 5669e received March 3, 2020. Revised IMM 5669e uploaded March 7. No communication on PR application since then. I have not heard much regarding my OWP application either, and I have even escalated it to my MP office's attention after 5 months of waiting and 2 webform inquiries. IRCC told me & MP that my application was being reviewed and to basically not request any more status updates, as they were working on the most urgent immigration cases as a priority during the pandemic. It's now been 8 months and have no idea when my OWP will be approved. Many of my fellow October Inland applicants received theirs in January and February, so to say I'm frustrated is putting it mildly. Because the OWP wasn't approved before my Visitor status expired, I had to submit an application to extend my stay as a Visitor. That is currently pending along with my other 2 applications. I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but nothing - especially IRCC's timelines - is predictable during the pandemic. Unfortunately it's more like a waiting game situation. And as someone else stated, the estimated processing times for OWPs doesn't apply for spousal OWPs. The website is misleading.

As for the birth control issue, I agree with the person that recommended the community health centers. If you live in or by a big city, there will certainly be somewhere you can go. Also try Googling women's clinics or sexual health clinics in your area. Many will take you if you can just show proof that you're a resident of Canada, with or without OHIP. They can provide exams and birth control options at very low cost with minimal hassle.

Good luck and hope this all helps!
Also whats an AOR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Totally, i agree thag would be a very difficult time. My spouse works 12- 16hour days and i barely see him. Honestly, ive been comsidering moving back to Washington and starting the application process over. The situation is making me re evaluate a lot. I wouldnt have moved here/ got married when we did if we knew this is how this year was going to play out. I have high anxiety and severe depression already so i knew this year was going to be rough without covid19 playing a factor. I had the idea of being able to go see my family on the weekends and being able to maintain my health coverage in the states. This situation is just extremely difficult. I know theres others going through a more difficult time than me. But its still hard to live with the unknown timeline of events when youre depressed or suicidl for any reason. I rely on my family to keep me going and I cant see them. So i understand on a level what they are going through.

What is OHIP?
This helped extremely. I will look into the community health center closest to me.
OHIP is thr health card in Ontario.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

What is OHIP?
You may not have been able to keep you american health insurance only visiting on the weekends because many require you to be US residents although there are some plans that cater to those who travel a lot. Yl

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
You may not have been able to keep you american health insurance only visiting on the weekends because many require you to be US residents although there are some plans that cater to those who travel a lot. Yl
I am a washington "resident". Im not a resident in canada... im here as a visitor i dont believe i have residency here? They asked me when i crossed the border if i still had a "home" in washington when i would cross. I do and most of my stuff is down in washington still. I was given a work visa because we explained the situation to the border as i would like to be able to come and stay with .y husband while my PR is processing. I was told the last time i crossed the border before covid19 that I have "implied status". I have a car up here in canada that is still registered in washington as well. I had it worked out for me to still be able to recieve my health insurance as I was traveling across the border every weekend.

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Also whats an AOR?
Sorry, AOR = Acknowlegement of Receipt.

It is the email IRCC sends after examining your PR application, has determined that it is complete, and they will start the processing.

Reactions: Krystajo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a washington "resident". Im not a resident in canada... im here as a visitor i dont believe i have residency here? They asked me when i crossed the border if i still had a "home" in washington when i would cross. I do and most of my stuff is down in washington still. I was given a work visa because we explained the situation to the border as i would like to be able to come and stay with .y husband while my PR is processing. I was told the last time i crossed the border before covid19 that I have "implied status". I have a car up here in canada that is still registered in washington as well. I had it worked out for me to still be able to recieve my health insurance as I was traveling across the border every weekend.
Would be very careful about your car insurance. After a certain amount of time out of the US and with no ties to Washington (Job or housing in your name) your insurance company could deny coverage. Would call and confirm that in your situation you still have coverage.

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
You said you are from BC?

If your husband is a Canadian citizen or PR with MSP you can be added to his plan provided you have a PR application in progress and you paid all the fees. All you need to do is send in the MSP form and the receipt from IRRC for the PR fees.

I'll post the links to the MSP site tomorrow when I'm not replying from a phone :).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You said you are from BC?

If your husband is a Canadian citizen or PR with MSP you can be added to his plan provided you have a PR application in progress and you paid all the fees. All you need to do is send in the MSP form and the receipt from IRRC for the PR fees.

I'll post the links to the MSP site tomorrow when I'm not replying from a phone :).
She has MSP now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just in case others are reading this. Once you leave Canada you lose your implied status so the advice you were given was wrong and you were lucky that CBSA didn’t make a big deal when you were crossing regularly to the US after submitting your sponsorship and OWP applications. Others have faced a lot of resistance and told to either remain in Canada or apply outland. Some have even been refused entry. Once applying inland one should minimize travel outside Canada.

kushsunny

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
My finance is travelling to Canada in July/Aug. from India (with travel exemptions to get married with me). When she will land her visitor visa will be valid for 4 months. my questions are below.

1) can we apply her spouse PR and Open Work Permit after marriage if her visitor visa is valid for only 4 months?
2) along with spouse PR and OWP can I apply her new visitor visa?

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
My finance is travelling to Canada in July/Aug. from India (with travel exemptions to get married with me). When she will land her visitor visa will be valid for 4 months. my questions are below.

1) can we apply her spouse PR and Open Work Permit after marriage if her visitor visa is valid for only 4 months?
2) along with spouse PR and OWP can I apply her new visitor visa?
1) you have to apply for spousal pr and owp before her visa expires not after. this is very important. when applying for the owp you get put on whats called implied status. Basicaly meaning she will keep her visitor status until they make a decision on the owp. However, most recommend to apply for extension of visitor status while the application is on going. if you do not apply for extension and the owp gets sent back at any time she will be considered out of status. which may delay the application even further then the delays going on right now.

2) Answered within my first answer however to reiterate yes you can apply for those at the same time. it is usually recommended by most. if you recieve owp before extension application is decided on they will make arrangments for a refund of some sort.

kushsunny

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
1) you have to apply for spousal pr and owp before her visa expires not after. this is very important. when applying for the owp you get put on whats called implied status. Basicaly meaning she will keep her visitor status until they make a decision on the owp. However, most recommend to apply for extension of visitor status while the application is on going. if you do not apply for extension and the owp gets sent back at any time she will be considered out of status. which may delay the application even further then the delays going on right now.

2) Answered within my first answer however to reiterate yes you can apply for those at the same time. it is usually recommended by most. if you recieve owp before extension application is decided on they will make arrangments for a refund of some sort.
Thank you so much for valuable input…. So I understand I put her inland spouse pr, owp and new visitor visa application together…. and meanwhile till result/visa of application is coming during that time If her current visitor visa expired then still she can stay in Canada on implied status… is it right understanding? Your response will be highly appreciated.

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Thank you so much for valuable input…. So I understand I put her inland spouse pr, owp and new visitor visa application together…. and meanwhile till result/visa of application is coming during that time If her current visitor visa expired then still she can stay in Canada on implied status… is it right understanding? Your response will be highly appreciated.
yes. you can apply for visa extension online. but send both pr and owp by mail