+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship, health insurance options/pregnacy, biometrics for open work permit approval

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
Hey everyone, I have applied for my PR through spousal sponsorship. I am originally from Washington and when my husband and I got married in july 2019 I came to canada as a visitor. I applied for my PR and open work permits in december. The open work permit originally only had an 89 day processing time. I should have heard about my work permit in march. However because of the Covid19 stuff everything has been closed. I got a reminder stating I would have to get my biometrics taken, but i havent recieved a request for me to go get rhat done yet. Im assuming it was an automated email they sent out as a reminder that you may need to get biometrics taken. However, i know all the VACs where biometrics are taken are currently closed. Has anyone been going through the same process waiting for their open work permit. Its frustrating because i applied for my visas a week after the rule was put in place on december 3rd that everyone applying from within canada would need to have biometrics taken.

Any info would be great on that.

Also, ive been here since last august and my husband and I have both been extremely scared of me getting pregnant and its really waying on pur relationship. My original plan was to travel to washington for medical if i needed it. But now that th has closed that isnt possible.
Anyone also have any information on this? I am not trying to get pregnant. I know it would be 100% easier to just wait until my PR is approved but everything being so delayed by covid19 now is becoming extremely difficult to plan for these things in the long run. Im frustrated at the situation extremely.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There's a lot to unpack here and I'm not sure what your precise question is.

You can't do biometrics without the instruction letter. Very few people have gotten them. They're not open anyways.

Health insurance in your case depends on the province you're in.

Pregnancy can be avoided by birth control.

bian07

May 19, 2017
Hey everyone, I have applied for my PR through spousal sponsorship. I am originally from Washington and when my husband and I got married in july 2019 I came to canada as a visitor. I applied for my PR and open work permits in december. The open work permit originally only had an 89 day processing time. I should have heard about my work permit in march. However because of the Covid19 stuff everything has been closed. I got a reminder stating I would have to get my biometrics taken, but i havent recieved a request for me to go get rhat done yet. Im assuming it was an automated email they sent out as a reminder that you may need to get biometrics taken. However, i know all the VACs where biometrics are taken are currently closed. Has anyone been going through the same process waiting for their open work permit. Its frustrating because i applied for my visas a week after the rule was put in place on december 3rd that everyone applying from within canada would need to have biometrics taken.

Also, ive been here since last august and my husband and I have both been extremely scared of me getting pregnant and its really waying on pur relationship. My original plan was to travel to washington for medical if i needed it. But now that th has closed that isnt possible.
Anyone also have any information on this? I am not trying to get pregnant. I know it would be 100% easier to just wait until my PR is approved but everything being so delayed by covid19 now is becoming extremely difficult to plan for these things in the long run. Im frustrated at the situation extremely.
The owp for spousal sponsorship took about 4 to 5 months before covid, you would've not gotten it in march anyway. The processing times shown on the website for owp's do not refer to the spousal sponsorship ones.

You will need your biometrics done once you receive a request and the nearest office where you can take them has opened again.

I also dont see how it's important for the sponsorship that you dont want to get pregnant right now, just use birth control?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Which province are you living in?

As said above, the 89 day processing time you saw online doesn't apply to OWPs through spousal sponsorship. 4-5 months is normal for OWPs.

edenfair

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not the topic creator, but really how does one even get a prescription for BC (such as the pill) on visitor status? I went to an emerg because that was the first suggestion I read...they told me it would be $700 to see me, so I left. Went to a Porcupine Health Unit and they said I need to have the prescription already. There are no walk-in clinics within a 5 hour drive of where I live. I tried to transfer my existing prescription from the US, but they refused to do it.

At this point I've accepted I won't have BC until I get OHIP, since there doesn't seem to be a readily available solution, at least in my own case.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I'm not the topic creator, but really how does one even get a prescription for BC (such as the pill) on visitor status? I went to an emerg because that was the first suggestion I read...they told me it would be $700 to see me, so I left. Went to a Porcupine Health Unit and they said I need to have the prescription already. There are no walk-in clinics within a 5 hour drive of where I live. I tried to transfer my existing prescription from the US, but they refused to do it.

At this point I've accepted I won't have BC until I get OHIP, since there doesn't seem to be a readily available solution, at least in my own case.
Have you tried community health centers?

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/system/services/chc/

Free check ups for those with no OHIP yet. I went to one when I had a bad flu, this was back in 2017 when I first landed, but they helped me.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
First, I was on a BC that was perscribed for me for the last 8 years down in Washington. I had my perscription transfered to lyndenwhen i moved to canada so that i could drive over the border and pick it up. Now that I cant do that and since i dont have health care, I am being put in a position to use less reliable options. Of course I am not trying to get pregnant...but it could accidentally happen still, i hope everyone understands that not all BC is 100%. So i was asking for suggestions on the situation... incase there was anything i was missing. I am based in BC. I cant get health insurance until I am on an open work permit.

Secondly, I have a friend who I met when I moved here who is in the same situation as me and applied for the exact same visas as me. She applied in November for her visas and got her open work permit in February. She experienced a shorter than 89 day processing time. When I called IRCC customer service I was told it had an 89 day processing time originally and that they were sorry I was experiencing delays due to Covid19.

I was asking about biometrics because I wanted to see if anyone had recieved a biometrics request lately and how they were handling that, since the biometrics offices are closed.

At this plint im assuming VAC's arent going to open any time soon. Its frustrating because I may be forced to move back to Washington for the remainder of this pandemic (im not sure how that would effect my visa?). I have been here pretty much in isolation since last August. Im developing mental health issues being alone too much. I honestly am just stressed out and anxious about this unknown amount of time that I am having to wait to even just ask simple processing time questions about my visa because at this point they just cant tell you anything. (This was not the year i planned for it to be.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
First, I was on a BC that was perscribed for me for the last 8 years down in Washington. I had my perscription transfered to lyndenwhen i moved to canada so that i could drive over the border and pick it up. Now that I cant do that and since i dont have health care, I am being put in a position to use less reliable options. Of course I am not trying to get pregnant...but it could accidentally happen still, i hope everyone understands that not all BC is 100%. So i was asking for suggestions on the situation... incase there was anything i was missing. I am based in BC. I cant get health insurance until I am on an open work permit.

Secondly, I have a friend who I met when I moved here who is in the same situation as me and applied for the exact same visas as me. She applied in November for her visas and got her open work permit in February. She experienced a shorter than 89 day processing time. When I called IRCC customer service I was told it had an 89 day processing time originally and that they were sorry I was experiencing delays due to Covid19.

I was asking about biometrics because I wanted to see if anyone had recieved a biometrics request lately and how they were handling that, since the biometrics offices are closed.

At this plint im assuming VAC's arent going to open any time soon. Its frustrating because I may be forced to move back to Washington for the remainder of this pandemic (im not sure how that would effect my visa?). I have been here pretty much in isolation since last August. Im developing mental health issues being alone too much. I honestly am just stressed out and anxious about this unknown amount of time that I am having to wait to even just ask simple processing time questions about my visa because at this point they just cant tell you anything. (This was not the year i planned for it to be.)
The 89 day processing time shown online definitely does not apply to OWPs through spousal sponsorship - it applies to other classes of work permit applied for within Canada. Don't believe anything the IRCC call centre tells you. Sadly they give out massively wrong information constantly and they gave you bad information. Your friend received the OWP quickly because pre-COVID the processing time for OWPs attached to spousal sponsorship applications was 3-4 months and some even faster. It's more in the range of 4-5 months (or even more) now due COVID-19. In case you still don't believe us, here's the confirmation of the 4-5 month processing time on IRCC's web site:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

I am not familiar enough with BC's health care rules to know if you can get coverage. I'm sure someone else will comment.

You want to avoid moving back to the U.S. If you do this, it will cancel your inland spousal sponsorship application since inland requires you to be living in Canada together with your partner. Alternatively, I guess you could consider withdrawing the inland spousal sponsorship application and applying outland. Then it won't matter if you leave Canada. However if you do this, no OWP.

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
Ohkay so was
The 89 day processing time shown online definitely does not apply to OWPs through spousal sponsorship - it applies to other classes of work permit applied for within Canada. Don't believe anything the IRCC call centre tells you. Sadly they give out massively wrong information constantly and they gave you bad information. Your friend received the OWP quickly because pre-COVID the processing time for OWPs attached to spousal sponsorship applications was 3-4 months and some even faster. It's more in the range of 4-5 months (or even more) now due COVID-19. In case you still don't believe us, here's the confirmation of the 4-5 month processing time on IRCC's web site:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

I am not familiar enough with BC's health care rules to know if you can get coverage. I'm sure someone else will comment.

You want to avoid moving back to the U.S. If you do this, it will cancel your inland spousal sponsorship application since inland requires you to be living in Canada together with your partner. Alternatively, I guess you could consider withdrawing the inland spousal sponsorship application and applying outland. Then it won't matter if you leave Canada. However if you do this, no OWP.
Was it a 4-5 month processing time before covid? Its been over 5 months for me... so either way I have been waiting longer than i should have which I excpected due to covid19 delays. I just wasn't sure that they were even processing OWP for us at this time because theres no biometrics offices currently open..?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ohkay so was

Was it a 4-5 month processing time before covid? Its been over 5 months for me... so either way I have been waiting longer than i should have which I excpected due to covid19 delays. I just wasn't sure that they were even processing OWP for us at this time because theres no biometrics offices currently open..?
Yes, it was 4-5 months pre-COVID-19. So slower now unfortunately.

Krystajo

Aug 18, 2017
Yes, it was 4-5 months pre-COVID-19. So slower now unfortunately.
Well, I hate that. Its so frustrating to be trapped here with no one and nothing.

If anyone has any reccomendations on how to survive this, that would be great. My mental health is really taking a hit lately.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well, I hate that. Its so frustrating to be trapped here with no one and nothing.

If anyone has any reccomendations on how to survive this, that would be great. My mental health is really taking a hit lately.
Well, I guess one way to look at this is that you are here together with your spouse. That's positive. (At least I think it is.)

If you read through this forum, you'll see tons of stories of people who have been separated from their spouses / children for months now due to COVID-19 travel restrictions and canceled flights - and have no idea when they will see them again. I can't imagine how stressful that would be.

So at least you are together. That's a good thing.

Good luck. Hope the OWP comes soon.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

“ No one and nothing “ ?
Aren’t you here with your husband ?

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020

Hi--I'm in a somewhat similar situation and can address everything except for Biometrics, as I haven't received any request or communication on those (I did submit before the new biometrics law went into place, though).

My husband (sponsor) and I married in July 2019 also. Inland PR & OWP applications received October 30, 2019. AOR received December 24th. Request for revised IMM 5669e received March 3, 2020. Revised IMM 5669e uploaded March 7. No communication on PR application since then. I have not heard much regarding my OWP application either, and I have even escalated it to my MP office's attention after 5 months of waiting and 2 webform inquiries. IRCC told me & MP that my application was being reviewed and to basically not request any more status updates, as they were working on the most urgent immigration cases as a priority during the pandemic. It's now been 8 months and have no idea when my OWP will be approved. Many of my fellow October Inland applicants received theirs in January and February, so to say I'm frustrated is putting it mildly. Because the OWP wasn't approved before my Visitor status expired, I had to submit an application to extend my stay as a Visitor. That is currently pending along with my other 2 applications. I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but nothing - especially IRCC's timelines - is predictable during the pandemic. Unfortunately it's more like a waiting game situation. And as someone else stated, the estimated processing times for OWPs doesn't apply for spousal OWPs. The website is misleading.

As for the birth control issue, I agree with the person that recommended the community health centers. If you live in or by a big city, there will certainly be somewhere you can go. Also try Googling women's clinics or sexual health clinics in your area. Many will take you if you can just show proof that you're a resident of Canada, with or without OHIP. They can provide exams and birth control options at very low cost with minimal hassle.

Good luck and hope this all helps!

Caly

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
I'm a common-law applicant and I went to a walk-in clinic with my American birth control pills and said I had no health insurance and needed refills. Paid out of pocket for the visit, bloodwork, and prescriptions in Ontario. Fairly reasonably priced.

Reactions: Krystajo