03-12-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2017
Passport Req..
Not Received
LANDED..........
00-07-2018
Hi,

Is it true that once you apply as an inland application, you cannot leave Canada until your application is finalized ?

My wife is visiting me from the USA and intends to travel to USA to see her family. She is already been here for 4+ months. I was planning to put in an application for her next week but I heard that once you submit and inland application, you cannot leave Canada.

If that is true, I might have to apply for her as an outland.

Kindly advise which stream would be better for our case, outland or inland (I was hoping she would get medical insurance while inland)

Thanks

MUNRRA

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hi,

Is it true that once you apply as an inland application, you cannot leave Canada until your application is finalized ?

My wife is visiting me from the USA and intends to travel to USA to see her family. She is already been here for 4+ months. I was planning to put in an application for her next week but I heard that once you submit and inland application, you cannot leave Canada.

If that is true, I might have to apply for her as an outland.

Kindly advise which stream would be better for our case, outland or inland (I was hoping she would get medical insurance while inland)

Thanks
What the government expect is if you submit your application inland, your wife is supposed to stay inCanada while application is process, I've heard some people who have done short trips and they return back (2 weeks), if your wife meet all requirements and eligibility to enter back, there should not be a problem.

However, the other option will be applying outland and she still can visit you back while the application is in process; again if she meets eligibility to enter back to Canada. People say this process is a little bit faster that doing this inland.

In my experience, my wife has been through similar situation, she came from USA, we decided she stay, I included into my private benefits insurance, we also applied for Open Work Permit (if you do this make sure you pay 2 different fees, in total $100 + $155 = $255) and she has staid with me here in Canada with no issues, after 6 month now she is in "Back Ground Check" status, and currently average inLand applicants is 6-7 months; which vary from case to case.

Hope this could help take the better decision on your case.
Good Luck!

salkhan

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
03-12-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2017
Passport Req..
Not Received
LANDED..........
00-07-2018
What the government expect is if you submit your application inland, your wife is supposed to stay inCanada while application is process, I've heard some people who have done short trips and they return back (2 weeks), if your wife meet all requirements and eligibility to enter back, there should not be a problem.

However, the other option will be applying outland and she still can visit you back while the application is in process; again if she meets eligibility to enter back to Canada. People say this process is a little bit faster that doing this inland.

In my experience, my wife has been through similar situation, she came from USA, we decided she stay, I included into my private benefits insurance, we also applied for Open Work Permit (if you do this make sure you pay 2 different fees, in total $100 + $155 = $255) and she has staid with me here in Canada with no issues, after 6 month now she is in "Back Ground Check" status, and currently average inLand applicants is 6-7 months; which vary from case to case.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your response,

I have no idea how long does it take for inland and outland spousal applications to process. I was told by a friend that inland application processing takes about 18-24 months.

Another friend has applied (outland) for her wife since March 2018, she is living outside Canada. His wife's application is still in progress.

Yeah 2 weeks trip would work but once she leaves, does she loose her work permit status?

Cheers,

pranavkapoorr

Star Member
May 7, 2019
Whats your time line ?
RECEIVED 12 DEC
AOR 12 FEB
MR 19 FEB
MD 24 FEB
OWP 1 MAR
ADDITIONAL DOC REQ 16 MAY
ADDITIONAL DOC EMAILED 22 MAY
ADDITIONAL DOC REQ 7 JUN

first time they asked for proof of cohabitation and my wife's notice of tax assessment
today they requested my notice of tax assessment

MUNRRA

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Thanks for your response,

I have no idea how long does it take for inland and outland spousal applications to process. I was told by a friend that inland application processing takes about 18-24 months.

Another friend has applied (outland) for her wife since March 2018, she is living outside Canada. His wife's application is still in progress.

Yeah 2 weeks trip would work but once she leaves, does she loose her work permit status?

Cheers,
Technically Outland and Inland after latest minister of Canada law was approved to process these applications in around 12 months (inland/outland) prior new laws it was delayed when you were inLand it was taking more than 24 months and Outland between 12 to 18 months, so this was a big improvement, I will recommend your friend call goverment of Canada and inquire about his applications is taking more than regular processing time.

In the other hand I don't think she will lose her work permit, short trip is ok but again this will be up to the security border, this person will check elegibility to reenter Canada, if she is ok, she will be allow to get back in Canada.

VancouverIsland

May 2, 2018
RECEIVED 12 DEC
AOR 12 FEB
MR 19 FEB
MD 24 FEB
OWP 1 MAR
ADDITIONAL DOC REQ 16 MAY
ADDITIONAL DOC EMAILED 22 MAY
ADDITIONAL DOC REQ 7 JUN

first time they asked for proof of cohabitation and my wife's notice of tax assessment
today they requested my notice of tax assessment
How did you apply? As married or common law?

Chuckus

Jan 12, 2019
Hi guys,

Applicant December 28, I just got my background check started today. At least it is moving forward.

We’ll see if they need more docs from us or not. Hopefully not!

Thanks!
I’m January 8th applicant my background check started 1 month ago still no update. Do you know how long it takes?

Reactions: doza-canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Good Luck!
Most spouses can not be added to private health benefits unless you have access to the provincial medical system. You have to read the policy carefully and some HR departments are not familiar with the clause or may not be aware that your spouse doesn’t have provincial coverage yet. When a spouse, who is being sponsored, has access to provincial health benefits depends on the province.