+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal Sponsorship - December 2018

CassandraJE

Jun 19, 2018
Category........
FAM
Hi there,

Am after bit of advice, my ETA status/visitor status ends on the 6th of April, I'm wondering whether I should apply for a visitor extension? Just In case something goes wrong with the OWP application? Or am I fine just waiting for the OWP to come through? Just getting a little worried as still haven't had any correspondence about either PR application or OWP, nor a medical request and I see that most people from early to mid December have had there's requested or done already.
This is my timeline thus far:
Application Sent: December 6th
Application received: December 10th
AOR received: February 14th
AOR linked: February 14th
OWP Linked: February 27th
MR: Not yet

Thankyou! :)

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
Hi there,

Am after bit of advice, my ETA status/visitor status ends on the 6th of April, I'm wondering whether I should apply for a visitor extension? Just In case something goes wrong with the OWP application? Or am I fine just waiting for the OWP to come through? Just getting a little worried as still haven't had any correspondence about either PR application or OWP, nor a medical request and I see that most people from early to mid December have had there's requested or done already.
This is my timeline thus far:
Application Sent: December 6th
Application received: December 10th
AOR received: February 14th
AOR linked: February 14th
OWP Linked: February 27th
MR: Not yet

Thankyou! :)
Given your timeline, I'd sit tight and wait a bit longer. You can apply for the visitor extension right up to the last minute before your status expires. You may very well get your OWP approval right before the visitor extension expires. Or you may go on implied status for a few days. It's highly unlikely your OWP will be refused.

Edit: If you do decide to extend your visitor, that's totally understandable. It's a rather inexpensive ($100) peace of mind until the OWP is approved. But again, you have plenty of time to file the extension if you choose to go that route.

Reactions: PowerfulCanada

CassandraJE

Jun 19, 2018
Category........
FAM
Given your timeline, I'd sit tight and wait a bit longer. You can apply for the visitor extension right up to the last minute before your status expires. You may very well get your OWP approval right before the visitor extension expires. Or you may go on implied status for a few days. It's highly unlikely your OWP will be refused.

Edit: If you do decide to extend your visitor, that's totally understandable. It's a rather inexpensive ($100) peace of mind until the OWP is approved. But again, you have plenty of time to file the extension if you choose to go that route.
Thankyou

ashiq716

Mar 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I am new in this thread and I need a little help trying to link my Open Work Permit with no luck after 2 days of "daily 5 attempts" (I was successfully able to link my AOR). If someone can help me with the exact set of steps then it will be very helpful.

My timeline:

Application Sent: December 24th, 2018
Application received: December 27th, 2018
AOR received: February 26th, 2019
AOR linked: March 1st, 2019
OWP Linked: unable to
Medical Examination: March 5th, 2019 (Appointment taken).

Moreover, I had an additional question that does CIC send any email regarding the Receipt of Open Work Permit application?

PowerfulCanada

Jan 28, 2019
Updating:

As expected, our Work Permit was approved today! \o/

We didn't receive any e-mail yet, but as some people noted here, it will probably take one day until we get it

Question: did anyone try to get a SIN with this status change? We are not sure how to show to Service Canada that we are allowed to have a SIN since we don't have any hard copy of the document yet. Any clues?

Someone asked about Medical and OWP.
The clinic didn't submit our case to IRCC, so it is really an independent process.

Good weekend to all

PowerfulCanada

Jan 28, 2019
Hi everyone, I am new in this thread and I need a little help trying to link my Open Work Permit with no luck after 2 days of "daily 5 attempts" (I was successfully able to link my AOR). If someone can help me with the exact set of steps then it will be very helpful.

My timeline:

Moreover, I had an additional question that does CIC send any email regarding the Receipt of Open Work Permit application?
Let me see if I understood. You were able to link your application for PR, but unable to link your WP? If this is the case, don't worry too much. It took me 2 days to get it linked after I linked the PR. It think it's just their process.

In any case, we didn't receive any communication about the work permit from the IRCC before linking it.

Good luck

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Updating:

As expected, our Work Permit was approved today! \o/

We didn't receive any e-mail yet, but as some people noted here, it will probably take one day until we get it

Question: did anyone try to get a SIN with this status change? We are not sure how to show to Service Canada that we are allowed to have a SIN since we don't have any hard copy of the document yet. Any clues?

Someone asked about Medical and OWP.
The clinic didn't submit our case to IRCC, so it is really an independent process.

Good weekend to all
Congrats!

You need the actual work permit that will be mailed to you to get a SIN. The letter that will be uploaded to GCKey soon clearly states that it’s only a notification and can’t be used as a valid permit or visa. Someone in the November thread still tried to get a SIN with it and wasn’t successful. So, a little bit longer to wait until you can get it!

77nn

Jan 30, 2019

My timeline:

They will send you an e-mail about 24-48 hours after your OWP has been approved on the GCKey.

PowerfulCanada

Jan 28, 2019
Congrats!

You need the actual work permit that will be mailed to you to get a SIN. The letter that will be uploaded to GCKey soon clearly states that it’s only a notification and can’t be used as a valid permit or visa. Someone in the November thread still tried to get a SIN with it and wasn’t successful. So, a little bit longer to wait until you can get it!
Oh, that's a bit of a bummer.

But thank you for sharing ;-)

ashiq716

Mar 1, 2019
Let me see if I understood. You were able to link your application for PR, but unable to link your WP? If this is the case, don't worry too much. It took me 2 days to get it linked after I linked the PR. It think it's just their process.

In any case, we didn't receive any communication about the work permit from the IRCC before linking it.

Good luck
Yes, you got the situation perfectly. I will give couple of more days and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: PowerfulCanada

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
I guess there is no specific system for OWP approval? Some are getting status changes online and others aren't seeing any change?

lndunn

May 1, 2016
Update for me:

Application Received : 27 Dec 2018
Returned: 02 Mar 2018

(They say we missed a form, but I could have sworn we had everything. Going to try and get it back out on Monday, we're in Saskatchewan.)

It doesn't look like my passport photos were returned, does anyone know if you have to submit new ones? (The envelope my documents were in was shredded to hell, so passport photos may have fallen out)

Secondary edit: Has anyone switched from inland to outland? With this rejection and subsequent processing times, I'm wondering if it would be better for me to just file outland, as I'm an American and while I know technically the processing times are the same, anecdotally people have reported outland processes faster.

Last edited: