+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland Spousal Sponsorship - December 2018

Jaz12

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
My wife got her eligibility passed today.We are December 6th 2018 applicants.

I have a question: When my wife got her open work permit, she also got a new ETA number to go with it. The letter said:

"A study or work permit is not a travel document. To allow you to travel to or re-enter Canada
by air only, we have issued you an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when we issued your
permit extension. Your eTA is linked to the passport that you used to apply for your permit
renewal. You must travel with this same passport. If you get a new passport, you will need to get
a new eTA."

They are clearly saying we can travel now on this new ETA number. Am I reading that right? We are planning on going for two weeks out of Canada in the first week of June. It seems like we can given she has an updated ETA number and the letter says that. We are okay to leave and come back after two weeks right?
How did you get ETA did you apply for visitor visa extension ? I also applied for visitor visa extension but i never got a decision regarding my application.. My wife's OWP states temporary resident status maintained...

Jaz12

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hello Everyone

I have a general question I applied for inland sponsorship application in Dec 2018 and I got my AOR in Feb 15/2019 and my wife completed the medical on Feb 25/2019. OWP was approved on March 2/2019 and my wife got her OWP on March 6/2019 in the mail.

Since the OWP application was getting delayed I applied for visitor visa extension in Feb 2019 since she was here on visitor visa that application was never reviewed by IRCC but they gave her OWP

I have 3 Questions

1. Since my wife got the OWP for 2 years is that means her status has changed from visitor to worker status?

2. At the bottom of the work permit it states “TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). PENDING FC APR

(Does that mean she doesn’t need visitor visa extension and now her status has changed to worker and her temporary resident status is maintained?

I believe FC APR mean Family class application (Sponsorship application) decision still pending

3. What happened with the visitor visa extension application? I never got a decision letter about that application

Can someone help me

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
Hello Everyone

I have a general question I applied for inland sponsorship application in Dec 2018 and I got my AOR in Feb 15/2019 and my wife completed the medical on Feb 25/2019. OWP was approved on March 2/2019 and my wife got her OWP on March 6/2019 in the mail.

Since the OWP application was getting delayed I applied for visitor visa extension in Feb 2019 since she was here on visitor visa that application was never reviewed by IRCC but they gave her OWP

I have 3 Questions

1. Since my wife got the OWP for 2 years is that means her status has changed from visitor to worker status?

2. At the bottom of the work permit it states “TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). PENDING FC APR

(Does that mean she doesn’t need visitor visa extension and now her status has changed to worker and her temporary resident status is maintained?

I believe FC APR mean Family class application (Sponsorship application) decision still pending

3. What happened with the visitor visa extension application? I never got a decision letter about that application

Can someone help me
1. Yes. She now has temporary status as a worker.

2. The bottom of my OWP says "pending a PR". I guess so they know what type of OWP it is and which method you got it through.

3. Submit a withdraw request of the visitor extension via webform. You do not need that anymore. Explain you received the OWP; maybe you will get a refund.

Idarar

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
Yes fingers crossed. The IRCC guy kept pushing that you have to be patient as it will take 12 months.

Around what time shall we expect or PR in our hand so that atleast we can fly outside Canada for a short trip?
As you can see other forms,applicants of september,October are getting interview letters which means if all goes well the whole process will take around 7-8 months but still it depends it could be less than that you never know.

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
It feels so good to have decision Made on one application so far..Thanks
The wait is so hard & long but the result is sweet at the end...good luck to all other applicants who are waiting hope you all get good news soon.
You haven’t got in physical yet?any idea how long does it takes to come by mail?
Hey. I JUST went to the mailbox and have the paper copy of my OWP in my hand! :D

So about 1 week from eligibility passed. I am living outside of Victoria, b.c.

Reactions: Shayna22

Jaz12

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
1. Yes. She now has temporary status as a worker.

2. The bottom of my OWP says "pending a PR". I guess so they know what type of OWP it is and which method you got it through.

3. Submit a withdraw request of the visitor extension via webform. You do not need that anymore. Explain you received the OWP; maybe you will get a refund.
Thanks ... Just wondering can she travel outside Canada ? If she does on what status she can Return to Canada ?

Idarar

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
The issue for inland applicants is that they cannot travel back home while being here on OWP since that document is only to work here legally its not a travel document i understand your frustration ......even my wife wants to travel back home to visit her family but she cant. My question is since she still has a valid visitor visa which is valid until 2022 can she travel and come back to Canada again on a visitor status ? if she does that does she lose her OWP status ? One of my friend who did that got a warning by the CBSA officer but its frustrating for the applicant that they are struck here on OWP with no jobs or not able to travel back home and come back ...Sometimes i feel i should have done a outland application...
While waiting for PR application to get approved It could be a risk to go out of Canada,I read some where on this form that a guy went outside Canada for a short break we was having a OWP but PR application was under progress,he had hard time on re-entering Canada at the airport.this guy said the officer asked them a lot of questions & did a lot of investigation they were so close to get sent back.i would suggest not to travel until she don’t get her PR.
May I know why she not getting job on OWP?

Last edited:

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
Thanks ... Just wondering can she travel outside Canada ? If she does on what status she can Return to Canada ?
As I said in a previous post. You are allowed to travel outside of Canada but must meet requirements to reenter:
"
If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it. "

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

I have not seen people having problems but obviously don't go for more than 2 weeks because the inland requirement is to live in Canada.

Committing a crime while you're out of Canada is a good reason they will deny you, for example.

*edit* no one can guarantee 100% authorization because only citizens and PR are allowed.

I am going on vacation to Hawaii in June and am confident I'll be okay, but I'm also an American citizen

Idarar

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
Hey. I JUST went to the mailbox and have the paper copy of my OWP in my hand! :D

So about 1 week from eligibility passed. I am living outside of Victoria, b.c.
Congrats once again..hopefully beginning of next week I get it too.
So what are the next steps or things we have to do?

NHLNFL

Nov 21, 2018
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
14-12-2018
AOR Received.
13/02/2019
Med's Request
18/02/2019
Med's Done....
25/02/2019
LANDED..........
03-10-2019
Congrats once again..hopefully beginning of next week I get it too.
So what are the next steps or things we have to do?
You will take your copy of OWP to service Canada and apply or renew a SIN. You can look for work but cannot get hired without that SIN number

Jaz12

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
While waiting for PR application to get approved It could be a risk to go out of Canada,I read some where on this form that a guy went outside Canada for a short break we was having a OWP but PR application was under progress,he had hard time on re-entering Canada at the airport.this guy said the officer asked them a lot of questions & did a lot of investigation they were so close to get sent back.i would suggest not to travel until she don’t get her PR.
May I know why she not getting job on OWP?
well some employers doesn't want to hire her since she is on open work visa i think the only job you can get is either work at a store or a small office kind of job. They are asking for PR and she doesn't even get help from new immigrant service since that service is only for PR holder which sucks

Idarar

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
You will take your copy of OWP to service Canada and apply or renew a SIN. You can look for work but cannot get hired without that SIN number
Okay and any idea how long the SIN number will take to come after applying?and can we also apply for health card?

Jaz12

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
As I said in a previous post. You are allowed to travel outside of Canada but must meet requirements to reenter:
"
If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it. "

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

I have not seen people having problems but obviously don't go for more than 2 weeks because the inland requirement is to live in Canada.

Committing a crime while you're out of Canada is a good reason they will deny you, for example.

*edit* no one can guarantee 100% authorization because only citizens and PR are allowed.

I am going on vacation to Hawaii in June and am confident I'll be okay, but I'm also an American citizen
Just wondering can the sponsor request for a multiple entry work visa for 2 years which they can stick in the passport rather than a paper copy which might help the applicant to travel and come back to Canada is it possible ? one of my friend suggested that

Idarar

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
well some employers doesn't want to hire her since she is on open work visa i think the only job you can get is either work at a store or a small office kind of job. They are asking for PR and she doesn't even get help from new immigrant service since that service is only for PR holder which sucks
That’s ridiculous,she have permission to work in Canada don’t know why companies & agencies do that.i hope she get job maybe try in warehouse or distribution centres