+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland landing at CIC office. Experts please comment!

einstein_pr

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Hi,

I am choosing between landing at the border (most likely Niagara) vs completing landing formalities at CIC's office (in Etobicoke). I got my passport request and I will land in few weeks. I don't have a time crunch and hence at the liberty to pick my option.

I didn't come across a thread listing pros and cons. I hope experts can comment.

Based on what I know:
1) Any minor errors in COPR (dates etc.) can be fixed right away at CIC's office. Not possible during landing at the border. Amendment process takes months.
2) SIN can be applied right there at CIC's office. Again not possible during landing at the border.
3) Need an appointment to visit CIC's office. Not an ideal option for folks who have a time crunch to land.
4) Although flagpoling is considered administrative refusal, you can totally avoid it if you want to land inland.
5) Any pointers regarding customs declaration? Are there any differences here? Do we have the option of declaring "Goods to follow" etc. when we land inland at CIC office? If not, what are one's options if we want to declare any assets that we own in home country?
6) Any difference in timeline for getting the PR card?

Thanks for your help. This is a fantastic forum and I applaud everyone's contribution. God speed friends.

lhyyym

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the same boat. My question: if we make an appointment to land at CIC office, could we land immediately or have to wait for a long time like 1 months after calling?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
einstein_pr said:
1) Any minor errors in COPR (dates etc.) can be fixed right away at CIC's office. Not possible during landing at the border. Amendment process takes months.
2) SIN can be applied right there at CIC's office. Again not possible during landing at the border.
3) Need an appointment to visit CIC's office. Not an ideal option for folks who have a time crunch to land.
4) Although flagpoling is considered administrative refusal, you can totally avoid it if you want to land inland.
5) Any pointers regarding customs declaration? Are there any differences here? Do we have the option of declaring "Goods to follow" etc. when we land inland at CIC office? If not, what are one's options if we want to declare any assets that we own in home country?
6) Any difference in timeline for getting the PR card?
Hi

1. Incorrect. CBSA can correct minor COPR errors during landing.
2. Incorrect. One can only apply for a SIN at a Service Canada office.
3. Yes, it can sometimes take months to get an appointment.
4. An admin refusal means nothing. US CBP states that it is not a real refusal and doesn't need to be declared as such.
5. Yes, there are differences. Outland, it can be processed there and then. Inland, I believe that one must take the forms to a Customs office to be processed.
6. None.

ind-it009

Star Member
Dec 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/16/2014
AOR Received.
06/30/2014
Med's Request
upfront
Passport Req..
06/29/2015
LANDED..........
07/22/2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

1. Incorrect. CBSA can correct minor COPR errors during landing.
2. Incorrect. One can only apply for a SIN at a Service Canada office.
3. Yes, it can sometimes take months to get an appointment.
4. An admin refusal means nothing. US CBP states that it is not a real refusal and doesn't need to be declared as such.
5. Yes, there are differences. Outland, it can be processed there and then. Inland, I believe that one must take the forms to a Customs office to be processed.
6. None.
Hi,
I am planning to do landing next week by Car. What are the documents to be carried with us and what are the questions they will ask and what are the steps to be followed while landing.
Please let me know.

Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lhyyym said:
I am in the same boat. My question: if we make an appointment to land at CIC office, could we land immediately or have to wait for a long time like 1 months after calling?
You have to wait for an appointment - it could take a month or two depending on the location.