Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
Hi.

Today they ask us for proof of cohabitation for our Inland sponsorship process. We lived together for 7 months with my husband's grandparents and we did not have a rental agreement, but in our application we added a letter from her grandfather explaining that she did not charge us a rent and that we both lived with her. My husband is the one who is in charge of paying for the services, since he is the one who works while I am taking the French classes. When we moved, the contract was in the name of my husband, I only signed in a part where it is required to inform me of changes in it because I am married to him, but I have no responsibility for the payment.

I do not have a bank account in Canada yet, I am looking at different banks to open one now, we just received the letter that will allow me to apply for the RAMQ and with that I would have an identification with my name on it, What other documents can we upload to check that we are living together?

Thank you very much for your support.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi.

Today they ask us for proof of cohabitation for our Inland sponsorship process. We lived together for 7 months with my husband's grandparents and we did not have a rental agreement, but in our application we added a letter from her grandfather explaining that she did not charge us a rent and that we both lived with her. My husband is the one who is in charge of paying for the services, since he is the one who works while I am taking the French classes. When we moved, the contract was in the name of my husband, I only signed in a part where it is required to inform me of changes in it because I am married to him, but I have no responsibility for the payment.

I do not have a bank account in Canada yet, I am looking at different banks to open one now, we just received the letter that will allow me to apply for the RAMQ and with that I would have an identification with my name on it, What other documents can we upload to check that we are living together?

It sounds like you need to provide more evidence to cover the period that you lived together prior to submitting the application. What do you have besides the letter from your husband's grandparents that proves you were living together for a full year before you submitted the application? You mention no bank account. Any joint credit cards? What about cell phone bills? You'll need to provide evidence that goes back a full year.

Can you confirm the exact wording in the letter (you should quote it here) to make it clear if they are asking about the one year before you submitted the application or if they want evidence covering the period after you submitted the application? My guess is that they are focused on the period before you submitted the application in which case a new bank account and RAMQ doesn't help.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
It sounds like you need to provide more evidence to cover the period that you lived together prior to submitting the application. What do you have besides the letter from your husband's grandparents that proves you were living together for a full year before you submitted the application? You mention no bank account. Any joint credit cards? What about cell phone bills? You'll need to provide evidence that goes back a full year.

Can you confirm the exact wording in the letter (you should quote it here) to make it clear if they are asking about the one year before you submitted the application or if they want evidence covering the period after you submitted the application? My guess is that they are focused on the period before you submitted the application in which case a new bank account and RAMQ doesn't help.
The OP refers to her "husband" a number of times which makes this a spousal app not common law. Is there a burden of proof that they have lived together for any specific time frame, with that being the case or are they questioning whether they have been living together at all?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The OP refers to her "husband" a number of times which makes this a spousal app not common law. Is there a burden of proof that they have lived together for any specific time frame, with that being the case or are they questioning whether they have been living together at all?
Ah - got it.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

PaoTalamantesh

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
This is the document we got

Indeed, we are married. We got married in Mexico July 2019, and we sent our wedding certificate with our application with the respective translation. We lived together for 3 years in Mexico, but always with Family therefore we do not have any lease contracts. I think he got his address changed for his bank account and even got a card replacement during that time, but I am not sure if the proof is of the time before we applied for sponsorship or the time during the application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Indeed, we are married. We got married in Mexico July 2019, and we sent our wedding certificate with our application with the respective translation. We lived together for 3 years in Mexico, but always with Family therefore we do not have any lease contracts. I think he got his address changed for his bank account and even got a card replacement during that time, but I am not sure if the proof is of the time before we applied for sponsorship or the time during the application.
OK - so in that case you need to provide evidence of cohabitation from the time you submitted the application until now. Any new evidence (i.e. new bank account set up now. RAMQ, etc.) most likely won't be of any help. You need to focus on evidence that already exists which proves you are living together and have been since you applied.

Does your French school have you registered at a specific address? Can you get evidence of that and how far back does this go? Do you get any deliveries or mail to your joint address?

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hi.

You had work permit and SIN number, both has sent to the same address where you live.
You should try to join bank account with him. It shows name and address
Try to have Driver License which includes your address
What about your phone bill? Do you have a phone number?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

They are questioning whether the 2 of you are living together at all. It is too late to try and apply for a joint bank account or other things given the deadline to reply to them and that wouldn't be legitimate anyways because they want you to show proof that you have been living together in Canada. Hopefully you have things that others have mentioned above as proof, anything showing your mailing address the same as his. Drivers Licence, school registration, cell phone bills etc. They are not asking for his address, they want you to prove you have been living at the same address as him.

PaoTalamantesh

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
They are questioning whether the 2 of you are living together at all. It is too late to try and apply for a joint bank account or other things given the deadline to reply to them and that wouldn't be legitimate anyways because they want you to show proof that you have been living together in Canada. Hopefully you have things that others have mentioned above as proof, anything showing your mailing address the same as his. Drivers Licence, school registration, cell phone bills etc. They are not asking for his address, they want you to prove you have been living at the same address as him.
From when we lived in his grandfather's house, I have an email that the translator sent me and I also have an Amazon package that was sent to that address in my name. We receive the immigration mail at his grandfather's house, since there is always someone at home.

We changed our address in July, and in the lease my name appears only in a section where they clarify that they must inform me of changes in the lease because I am his wife. At the school they gave me a letter that includes my full address where they clarify that I have been a student since November 2020.

Will this be sufficient proof of what they ask of us? Or do you recommend us to include letters from neighbors?

PaoTalamantesh

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
You had work permit and SIN number, both has sent to the same address where you live.
You should try to join bank account with him. It shows name and address
Try to have Driver License which includes your address
What about your phone bill? Do you have a phone number?
My SIN and my work permit have his grandfather's address. We have documents in my husband's name that prove that he also lived at that address, such as his tax return.

From our new address I have documents from my school, we have the new records from his bank and the rental agreement.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
My SIN and my work permit have his grandfather's address. We have documents in my husband's name that prove that he also lived at that address, such as his tax return.

From our new address I have documents from my school, we have the new records from his bank and the rental agreement.
Yes that is perfect send those!

Reactions: gallagher11

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020

When you have rental agreement, you should have rent payment month by month.
Don't forget, they need things in timeline such month by month, rather than documents from school, because those documents you received only once time. But you should send everything you have to them. There's no second chance.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes

Also try sending Uber eats stuff too! That stuff gets delivered to you and lists all your past receipts/orders in the app.

PaoTalamantesh

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Quebec
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
28-12-2019
Also try sending Uber eats stuff too! That stuff gets delivered to you and lists all your past receipts/orders in the app.
We do not use Uber or home delivery services, but we have some prescriptions with our address and our names for some medications and contraceptives with the date we bought them, will it be possible to use this as proof too?

I have a habit of keeping receipts and prescriptions for at least a year in case I need them for reference.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
We do not use Uber or home delivery services, but we have some prescriptions with our address and our names for some medications and contraceptives with the date we bought them, will it be possible to use this as proof too?

I have a habit of keeping receipts and prescriptions for at least a year in case I need them for reference.
Anything with your address is going to help you. I would also write a long detailed explanation letter explaining the situation. I have seen many that were desperate for proof receive AIP after just simply explaining the situation. Search your email sometimes things get emailed that list your address like invoices etc.