+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2015

vangurl890

Jun 19, 2015
Hi everyone! I am somewhat new to this forum. I have done an inland application to sponsor my husband October 7, 2015. Today is the first time we have heard anything from CIC and it wasn't what I expected. We received an email stating "This refers to your application for a WORK PERMIT received 10/07/2015. No action is being taken to process your request for the following reasons: As a foreign National in Canada you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit until such time as you receive confirmation that your application for Permanent Residence will be processed from within Canada. Your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit all be issued to you."

Has anyone else received anything like this? I don't understand why they say as a foreign National in Canada you are not eligible. I thought the new rules were while you are in Canada waiting to receive your PR card they have started allowing people to work with an OWP (if granted).

Any comments greatly appreciated!!! :)

GlenL

Oct 16, 2015
vangurl890 said:
Hi everyone! I am somewhat new to this forum. I have done an inland application to sponsor my husband October 7, 2015. Today is the first time we have heard anything from CIC and it wasn't what I expected. We received an email stating "This refers to your application for a WORK PERMIT received 10/07/2015. No action is being taken to process your request for the following reasons: As a foreign National in Canada you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit until such time as you receive confirmation that your application for Permanent Residence will be processed from within Canada. Your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit all be issued to you."

Has anyone else received anything like this? I don't understand why they say as a foreign National in Canada you are not eligible. I thought the new rules were while you are in Canada waiting to receive your PR card they have started allowing people to work with an OWP (if granted).

How did you apply? With the documents in the same envelope as your PR application, and mail it to Mississauga? Or a separate mailing of your OWP application to Vegreville?

wssun

Sep 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
03-03-2014
Med's Request
07-02-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Passport Req..
26-03-2015
LANDED..........
17-04-2015
Anyone from November received AOR yet???

vangurl890

Jun 19, 2015
GlenL How did you apply? With the documents in the same envelope as your PR application, and mail it to Mississauga? Or a separate mailing of your OWP application to Vegreville?

I applied with all my documents in the same envelope and sent it to Mississauga.

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
vangurl890 said:
GlenL How did you apply? With the documents in the same envelope as your PR application, and mail it to Mississauga? Or a separate mailing of your OWP application to Vegreville?

I applied with all my documents in the same envelope and sent it to Mississauga.
We applied with all of our docs in same envelope too.

GlenL

Oct 16, 2015
vangurl890 said:

Well that's very surprising then. My immediate thought, some rookie representative made a mistake. It should be obvious to the Vegreville agents, who receive your OWP application FROM the Mississauga agents, that your PR application has begun in some way. My wife did the same thing as you, sending both in the same envelope (which is the proper method) and she received her OWP. Even before receiving an AOR regarding her PR application (she still hasn't). The letter is a little cryptic at the end, do you just wait now and they will send your OWP later, or...?

In my opinion, I suggest ordering GCMS notes, and see if you can tell on which date there was any reference to your PR application. After that, armed with a little knowledge, call the contact centre and see the best course of action from here. Perhaps some of the more senior members of this forum have another suggestion, but that's mine. Good luck!

Glen

vangurl890

Jun 19, 2015
GlenL said:
Well that's very surprising then. My immediate thought, some rookie representative made a mistake. It should be obvious to the Vegreville agents, who receive your OWP application FROM the Mississauga agents, that your PR application has begun in some way. My wife did the same thing as you, sending both in the same envelope (which is the proper method) and she received her OWP. Even before receiving an AOR regarding her PR application (she still hasn't). The letter is a little cryptic at the end, do you just wait now and they will send your OWP later, or...?

In my opinion, I suggest ordering GCMS notes, and see if you can tell on which date there was any reference to your PR application. After that, armed with a little knowledge, call the contact centre and see the best course of action from here. Perhaps some of the more senior members of this forum have another suggestion, but that's mine. Good luck!

Glen
Thank you so much for your response Glen. Im thinking of seeing an immigration lawyer at this point. I really don't know what to do or think. We have a lot going on right now. I am having a complicated pregnancy, we are in the process of buying a restaurant and I had assumed at this point we would have had my husbands OWP so we could both be working at the restaurant. We had sent in our original application in July and had it returned in October. Its been a long long wait to say the least. Its very frustrating. :(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vangurl890 said:

Did your husband have legal status on the day that CIC received the Inland application AND the OWP?

brittanyquesada

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2015
AOR Received.
01-15-2016
Med's Done....
06-23-2016
VISA ISSUED...
05-04-2017
LANDED..........
02-20-2017
vangurl890 said:
Thank you so much for your response Glen. Im thinking of seeing an immigration lawyer at this point. I really don't know what to do or think. We have a lot going on right now. I am having a complicated pregnancy, we are in the process of buying a restaurant and I had assumed at this point we would have had my husbands OWP so we could both be working at the restaurant. We had sent in our original application in July and had it returned in October. Its been a long long wait to say the least. Its very frustrating. :(
my only thought why they would possible send this email.. is because the pilot OWP is for only eligible people .. so they have to be inland (which it sounds like you are) and have to be in status so example if they were a visitor which usually gets 6 months to be in canada, and they have to extend it before the date you are supposed to leave you would be out of status if you did not extend. OR from what i've read and it has happened to a lot of people (and sounds like this could of possibly happened to you) is that your husband applied for PR while he was in status and your husband might of been on implied status (so staying after the date of his authorized stay) because he is awaiting approval on a new status (so worker/PR) .. so what happened to a lot of people, their application was returned for whatever reason (not right fee $, missing pages, signatures etc) so they reapplied, but since there application was returned they lost their status.... One can apply for PR while not being in status but OWP pilot is different. Only thing you can do if this is the case is apply for restoration of status (which can only happen 90 days after the day you were supposed to leave) and then apply for OWP if the restoration is approved..

Ms.kaka

Star Member
Jan 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys,

I want to asked how long usually it will take to have Open work permit if you apply your spouse sponsor via inland application. Thx. I am trying to contemplate what is the best method for me to sponsor my wife.

aero_eng

Nov 26, 2015
Visa Office......
CPC-M
App. Filed.......
26-11-2015
AOR Received.
30-05-2016
Med's Request
09-06-2016
Med's Done....
15-06-2016
LANDED..........
07-02-2017
wssun said:
Anyone from November received AOR yet???
November applicant here, received my OWP but no AOR yet.

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
vangurl890 said:

IF the applicant was IN status at time of the application, then my guess as to what happened is this... from reading here, it seems most of the Oct and Nov applications got behind/delayed as far as being entered into their system. Those apps seem to recently been finally starting to show up. My guess is that when someone got the OWP app and then looked to see if there was also a PR app in the system..well nothing showed up (it was still in pile and not entered).

Archenemy

Sep 14, 2015
beans on toast said:
I have claimed on it - however 2 things:
First, i go to a free doctors clinic service (on a Friday morning) if i have any concerns over anything minor-ish. This has no impact on my travel/health insurance
Second, i recently banged my knee up playing soccer and the insurance wouldnt pay for a MRI scan (as it was exploratory and not an 'emergency') although they did pay $500 for the physio treatment.
I took out cover for a 6 month period, so i currently still have coverage, but after this i will see if they increase my premium or has happened in the past they will not covers omething i declare to have had treatment on previously (in this case my knee).
Thanks for sharing beans on toast! :)

jha190

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
Hi All,

So I received my Open Work Permit on Monday it says issued 22/2/2016 (please update the spreadsheet). My passport expires October so I was only issued a permit until October. I have a new passport and although I stated it in my application that I would send proof in before the open work permit is issued I was not given any AOR so I was not able to.

How do I extend my work permit out to the full two years? Do I just send proof of my new passport and a letter of explanation? Or do I have to apply to extend my visa?