OWP: sent separately on June 1, 2015

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoyG said:
Hi Sophie,
I'm a temporary resident in Canada right now on post graduation work permit, which is going to expire on Aug 8, 2015. I have filed my inland sponsorship application on Feb 15, 2015 and received the AOR on April 20,2015. I did not send an OWP application with my PR application, rather sent a separate OWP on June 1,2015.
Now my question is:
1) Do you receive a confirmation from CIC after they receive your OWP application? Since i haven't received anything so far?
2) i read somewhere in this forum that you're supposed to sent two different fees for the OWP. Is that true? Because i only paid $155 for the work permit extension. I'm pretty sure when i called the immigration call centre, they said this is the only fee I need to pay?

I'm really hoping to receive my OWP on time :( Please advise.

Thanks in advance
1. No

2. You needed to pay $255, which includes the new $100 fee that was added, due to the change last December...and unfortunately your OWP application is very likely to be returned. This will mean that you will be out of status and would then need to apply for Restoration of Status before November 8th...and pay the additional fee for that.

Good luck!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
JoyG said:
Hi Sophie,
I'm a temporary resident in Canada right now on post graduation work permit, which is going to expire on Aug 8, 2015. I have filed my inland sponsorship application on Feb 15, 2015 and received the AOR on April 20,2015. I did not send an OWP application with my PR application, rather sent a separate OWP on June 1,2015.
Now my question is:
1) Do you receive a confirmation from CIC after they receive your OWP application? Since i haven't received anything so far?
2) i read somewhere in this forum that you're supposed to sent two different fees for the OWP. Is that true? Because i only paid $155 for the work permit extension. I'm pretty sure when i called the immigration call centre, they said this is the only fee I need to pay?

I'm really hoping to receive my OWP on time :( Please advise.

Thanks in advance
You won't get any notification that it was received at will be most likely sent back due to insufficient funds. Send an other package with the right fees (you can use your previous receipt of the $155), you can include an explanation letter that you already submitted an app in June (send proof of delivery), but most likely they will just process it in the normal queqe.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophieee said:
You won't get any notification that it was received at will be most likely sent back due to insufficient funds. Send an other package with the right fees (you can use your previous receipt of the $155), you can include an explanation letter that you already submitted an app in June (send proof of delivery), but most likely they will just process it in the normal queqe.
The problem will be that the first OWP Will be opened and returned after August 8th, so when they open the second OWP, the person will already be out of status and wouldn't qualify for the OWP.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Ponga said:
The problem will be that the first OWP Will be opened and returned after August 8th, so when they open the second OWP, the person will already be out of status and wouldn't qualify for the OWP.
I meant that he should send the second package right away without waiting the first one to be sent back. I know that you shouldn't have two similar applications, but we can be pretty sure that by the time anyone will take a look at the second app the first will be already rejected. I think it cannot cause any problem to send it now at it can spare the money and the stress of the restoration of status.

JoyG

Jul 14, 2015
Thanks Sophie and Ponga for the quick replies.
I checked the CIC website immediately after reading your responses and this is what they have to say about insufficient fee:

Incorrect fee payment

Incorrect fee payments may delay processing your application.

Payment issue – No fee included

CIC will return your application.

Note: Processing of your application will only start after you return your application with requested fees.

Payment issue – Insufficient fees included

CIC will inform you of how much to pay and how to pay.

Note: Processing of your application will only continue after you provide the missing fees.

Payment issue – Overpayment

CIC will:

start processing your application, and
send you a refund as soon as possible.
Note: You do not have to request a refund, it will be done automatically.

It's been 45 days since i sent the application. Wouldn't they have contacted me earlier if the application was being sent back anyways?? :(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophieee said:
I meant that he should send the second package right away without waiting the first one to be sent back. I know that you shouldn't have two similar applications, but we can be pretty sure that by the time anyone will take a look at the second app the first will be already rejected. I think it cannot cause any problem to send it now at it can spare the money and the stress of the restoration of status.
If CIC receives the second OWP application by August 8th, it might work. Now comes the $64k question...does the person stop working until they receive the OWP? Remember how many arguments there have been here about PGWP and OWP?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoyG said:
I checked the CIC website immediately after reading your responses and this is what they have to say about insufficient fee:

Incorrect fee payment

Note: Processing of your application will only start after you return your application with requested fees.

Note: Processing of your application will only continue after you provide the missing fees.

CIC will:

It's been 45 days since i sent the application. Wouldn't they have contacted me earlier if the application was being sent back anyways?? :(
This must be a new policy, because several people have had their OWP applications returned because they didn't pay the full amount. Hopefully, it's true, because it's what CIC should have done all along, IMHO. The only potential caveat, would be if the remaining balance was not received by CIC, prior to a person's status expiring.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since CIC doesn't provide an official AOR for an OWP application, it's still risky IMHO. What happens if they say they never received the second OWP?

mirko86

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hello people,i have one question :) Can i take vacation when im in implied status,im still working at the same company.I just want to know is posible by the law.Thanks

Nomad Nicol

Jul 13, 2015
sophieee said:
You have two choices:
1. Apply inland, you will most likely get your OWP in 3-4 months. I'm afraid implied status won't allow you to work if you currently have an IEC, but if you started in January you'll have enough time to get the OWP before your IEC expires. If nothing changes (it always changes...) you can become a PR in one and a half year.
2. Apply outland, you won't be able to apply for OWP, but you can become a PR in 4-9 months. With some luck you can become a PR via outland sooner than you would get your OWP with the inland...

If you decide to go inland with the OWP, use these forms:

The link on the delivery update page has changed, but it was pointing to these forms and all of us used these forms for the pilot program with no problem.
Thank you Sophieee, as tempting as it is to just get the PR asap via the outland procedure, I think the risk of not being able to work for a few months is greater than that of having the OWP and having a long wait to get the PR so it looks like that's our option.

Just thinking as I go here, if I applied for inland and OWP, was granted my OWP and then withdrew my inland and applied for outland would my OWP be cancelled?

Hopefully I'd be given a 2 year OWP but I'll obviously have to keep an eye on an announcement on what they are doing with the pilot scheme.

Finally (for now!) what's the reference point for a conditional PR and will they take into account the time we've been together while the application is processed?

My gf and I began living together in October 2013 so we'd have been common laws for just less than 2 years when we get the application submitted. If it takes 2 years to be approved we'd have then been together for nearly 4 years so it would be a bit of a shame that we'd have to wait another 2 years for it to be unconditional.

EDIT - For the last part I've read something now saying that you aren't in a common law relationship until you've been living together for a year so it would be the conditional I assume.

akikan

Star Member
Jul 15, 2015
Ponga said:
1. No

2. You needed to pay $255, which includes the new $100 fee that was added, due to the change last December...and unfortunately your OWP application is very likely to be returned. This will mean that you will be out of status and would then need to apply for Restoration of Status before November 8th...and pay the additional fee for that.

Good luck!
Hi Ponga

Can i ask you one question regarding the OWP? i sent my OWP one month ago, and i only paid 155$ as well, should i pay the 100$ now or i have to wait they returned my package, and now my status shows decison made, says officer will contact me if my sponsorship is approved or not. So do i still need to pay the 100$? and do they refund me the 155$ back if my case is approved? Thank you much appreciate (but i guess CIC will never do refund lol)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoyG said:

Incorrect fee payment

CIC will:

Actually... I suggest you resubmit the OWP application online? That way they'll definitely get it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akikan said:
Hi Ponga

Can i ask you one question regarding the OWP? i sent my OWP one month ago, and i only paid 155$ as well, should i pay the 100$ now or i have to wait they returned my package, and now my status shows decison made, says officer will contact me if my sponsorship is approved or not. So do i still need to pay the 100$? and do they refund me the 155$ back if my case is approved? Thank you much appreciate (but i guess CIC will never do refund lol)
If you now have DM on your PR application you certainly don't need the OWP anymore. :)

CIC does offer refunds, sometimes, so you should contact CIC and request yours ASAP.

Good luck!