21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
MyMaple said:
hi there guys.. hope you are well and happy new year to you all

short background-- APPLIED PR AND SOWP WITH A LAWYER
IM A BRITISH BANGLADESHI, BORN IN BANGLADESH AND NATURALIZED IN THE UK. CAME TO CANADA JULY 2016 AND MARRIED LONG TERM GF AND CANADIAN CITIZEN OCT 2016. APPLIED IN NOV 16TH 2016.

BRITISH GETS 6MONTHS VISA UPON ENTRY AND THAT RUNS OUT MID JAN 2017

MY QUERIES:
LAWYER SAID NO NEED TO APPLY FOR VISIT VISA EXTENTION ONCE IT RUNS OUT IN JAN... IS HE RIGHT?
LAWYER SENT ME AN EMAIL WITH A FILE NUMBER, WHICH IS BASICALLY A LETTER BY CI SAYING THAT THEY HAVE RECEIVED THE APPLICATION... IS THIS THE 1ST AOR OR 2ND AOR?
HOW LONG FOR WORK PERMIT TO COME?
LAWYER HASNT YET GIVEN ME ANY LETTER FROM CI SAYING THAT THEY HAVE RECEIVED APPLICATION FOR SOWP!!!

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE .. OH BTW NO CRIMINAL RECORDS AND SECOND MARRIAGES FOR BOTH OF US
1. It is best to keep your visitor visa valid until you receive your OWP, if for any reason the OWP is returned and your status expires, you'd need to wait for First stage approval (unless you are successful in applying for a restoration of status--has to be done within 90 days of the status expiring)
2. That is 1st AOR. you may or may not receive 2nd AOR. 1st AOR is usually sent to the Sponsor. 2nd would go to the applicant.
3. take approx 4 months for OWP to arrive.
4. You will not get an AOR for the OWP. If you got AOR for the application you know they have it (if sent together).

MyMaple

Dec 31, 2016
simpsol22 said:
1. It is best to keep your visitor visa valid until you receive your OWP, if for any reason the OWP is returned and your status expires, you'd need to wait for First stage approval (unless you are successful in applying for a restoration of status--has to be done within 90 days of the status expiring)
2. That is 1st AOR. you may or may not receive 2nd AOR. 1st AOR is usually sent to the Sponsor. 2nd would go to the applicant.
3. take approx 4 months for OWP to arrive.
4. You will not get an AOR for the OWP. If you got AOR for the application you know they have it (if sent together).
thank you very very much , that was very helpful... i understand that i would need to talk to my lawyer about restoration of status just incase if owp is refused. thanks a lot

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
MyMaple said:
thank you very very much , that was very helpful... i understand that i would need to talk to my lawyer about restoration of status just incase if owp is refused. thanks a lot
You would only need the restoration of status if you let your current status expire...otherwise it's just extending your status. you could risk seeing if you get the OWP. They only seem to return it if you didn't pay the full $255 or didn't sign a form.
If you applied Nov. 16th...you should have the OWP around March 16th....depending when your visa expires...you'd still have a little time to restore if something went wrong with the OWP.

MyMaple

Dec 31, 2016
i entered canada using my british passport, so i had six months from july 2016 and it expires 11th jan 2017.
my lawyer initially said that i would need to get an extention before it expires, however he changed his mind later and gave me the following reply :

"Normally when a visitor applies for a work permit in Canada it does not result in the visitor having implied status when the visitor status runs out and the person is still waiting for a work permit. That was why we planned to submit an extension to the visitor status. But I came across the attached policy from Immigration, which states that when a spouse in Canada class applicant applies for a work permit together with the permanent residence application, this work permit application is considered to be a request to extend the temporary residence status and no separate application to extend status is required. As your permanent residence and work permit applications were filed together and are in process, we don’t need to extend the visitor status".

hence didnt go ahead with extention

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
MyMaple said:
i entered canada using my british passport, so i had six months from july 2016 and it expires 11th jan 2017.
my lawyer initially said that i would need to get an extention before it expires, however he changed his mind later and gave me the following reply :

"Normally when a visitor applies for a work permit in Canada it does not result in the visitor having implied status when the visitor status runs out and the person is still waiting for a work permit. That was why we planned to submit an extension to the visitor status. But I came across the attached policy from Immigration, which states that when a spouse in Canada class applicant applies for a work permit together with the permanent residence application, this work permit application is considered to be a request to extend the temporary residence status and no separate application to extend status is required. As your permanent residence and work permit applications were filed together and are in process, we don’t need to extend the visitor status".

hence didnt go ahead with extention
That is true, but if that work permit is returned for any reason, then the status is gone and would need to be restored before resending the app. Just something to keep in mind. A lot of people don't realize it. But again, you'll have a little time, if you decide to go ahead and wait to see if the permit arrives. Just count 90 days out from the date your visa expires and then subtract a couple of weeks. Keep that date in mind while waiting for your OWP.

MyMaple

Dec 31, 2016
simpsol22 said:
That is true, but if that work permit is returned for any reason, then the status is gone and would need to be restored before resending the app. Just something to keep in mind. A lot of people don't realize it. But again, you'll have a little time, if you decide to go ahead and wait to see if the permit arrives. Just count 90 days out from the date your visa expires and then subtract a couple of weeks. Keep that date in mind while waiting for your OWP.
ok i got it.. i think finally understood.

so 90 days from 11th jan will be 10th approx of April. if Sowp is refused before that then i will apply for a restoration

and lets say its the 1st of April and i didnt hear anything from CI about SOWP- i will have to apply for restoraration

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
MyMaple said:
ok i got it.. i think finally understood.

so 90 days from 11th jan will be 10th approx of April. if Sowp is refused before that then i will apply for a restoration

and lets say its the 1st of April and i didnt hear anything from CI about SOWP- i will have to apply for restoraration
No, do not apply to restore your status until you are out of status.

The work permit takes ~4mos (as I mentioned in the other thread you asked this question in). At 4mos, call CIC to ask why you do not have it. Then worry about restoring your status.

If you were in status when you applied, there is a 99.9% chance it will be approved. It's a slightly different Work Permit than any of the others. This one is how they allow people to remain in Canada while they process the inland applications. Therefore, status and admissibility are really the only problems. Seeing how you already have passed the CBSA, you likely do not have the latter, so just wait and relax. And don't cross post ;).

If you were not in status, they will defer the OWP until after they have approved you for applying for a PR under the in Canada class. This is known as AIP or approval in principle.

malikhashmi

Star Member
Nov 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30 July, 2015
AOR Received.
15 March, 2016
Med's Request
22 November, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November, 2016
Not sure if everyone noticed but CIC updated their website. The processing time for all applications post Dec 2016 will be 12 months and 80% applications pre Dec 2016 will be completed by Dec 2017.

fingers crossed....DM, SA and AIP all done. Now waiting for final decision and landing. Last correspondence from CIC was on 4th Jan 2017.

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
malikhashmi said:
Not sure if everyone noticed but CIC updated their website. The processing time for all applications post Dec 2016 will be 12 months and 80% applications pre Dec 2016 will be completed by Dec 2017.

fingers crossed....DM, SA and AIP all done. Now waiting for final decision and landing. Last correspondence from CIC was on 4th Jan 2017.
well that is quite lame of them

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
malikhashmi said:

I'm actually not sure where you got that from. Here is what the current processing times states:

IRCC stated that, the new application processing times of 12 months would be for 80% of the cases (as the other 20% are more complex and may require more time).

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
My ecas has finally updated to decision made! Just waiting to hear from Calgary now!!

malikhashmi

Star Member
Nov 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30 July, 2015
AOR Received.
15 March, 2016
Med's Request
22 November, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November, 2016
Congrats! finally.....lets see what happens next

km9203 said:
My ecas has finally updated to decision made! Just waiting to hear from Calgary now!!

malikhashmi

Star Member
Nov 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30 July, 2015
AOR Received.
15 March, 2016
Med's Request
22 November, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November, 2016
Couldnt see the image that you posted but you're right its 80% for applicants post dec 2017.

my point really was that CIC has updated their system and to keep folks updated (made you look!:)

profiler said:
I'm actually not sure where you got that from. Here is what the current processing times states:

IRCC stated that, the new application processing times of 12 months would be for 80% of the cases (as the other 20% are more complex and may require more time).

sestrenkapsixa

Aug 24, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2015
Guys I just received email with Landing Interview Information! (you can check my message history - Application filed Aug 2015, SA and AIP - Dec 2016, DM - Jan 6, 2017).
I'm excited, time to go through this forum and see what's the flow of the interview!

Kristin2015

Jan 9, 2017
good afternoon
I arrived in Canada with a visitor's visa 8 months ago, but when my husband and I arrive, we send them the application so that he can sponsor me along with a work permit application, I have the work permit right now and we are waiting for my permanent residence.

The question is the following, we are thinking of going on vacation but we do not know if I have to do some procedure to change the category of my visa or with which I have and the work permit that expires until 2018 I will be able to enter Canada