SA: 27-10-2015
Passport Req..
AIP: 17-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 17-01-2016
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
Bublikova said:
Oh, honestly we didn't know about that! But we already sent inland app, can we change it now?
What is the difference between them (except time processing)?
Yes, you can change it by canceling current application and submitting outland instead. Outland applications are usually (depends on citizenship) are processed quicker than the inland ones. Also with an inland application there is always risk of not being allowed to reenter Canada (as it is advised to stay in Canada through out the whole process). However, for outland, you would need to travel for the interview to Canadian embassy of your home country, if it is required. So, basically, both routs are not perfect..

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
Hi,

I'm new here so hopefully posting on the right forum.

I recently sent off an Inland spousal sponsorship application, I have new 3 year work visa for Canada already and have lived here for 8 years. But I have just received an offer for a one year post-doc position in Switzerland (not my home country). I don't want this to throw off my application. My spouse will stay in Canada and I will continue to pay rent and expenses for her out of our Canadian bank account and I will also be able to visit frequently. I haven't personally found any information about the restrictions of having to stay in Canada (I have a work visa already so I can come back in) but have been told just cancel the inland application to do the outland route. I really don't want to do this because of all of the work involved in getting the inland application together, it would be a shame to have to start over.

I will be back full time in Canada by the time the application is processed (which takes approx 26 months). So I guess my question is, has anyone experienced similar circumstances and what should/can I do?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nick360 said:
Hi,

I'm new here so hopefully posting on the right forum.

I recently sent off an Inland spousal sponsorship application, I have new 3 year work visa for Canada already and have lived here for 8 years. But I have just received an offer for a one year post-doc position in Switzerland (not my home country). I don't want this to throw off my application. My spouse will stay in Canada and I will continue to pay rent and expenses for her out of our Canadian bank account and I will also be able to visit frequently. I haven't personally found any information about the restrictions of having to stay in Canada (I have a work visa already so I can come back in) but have been told just cancel the inland application to do the outland route. I really don't want to do this because of all of the work involved in getting the inland application together, it would be a shame to have to start over.

I will be back full time in Canada by the time the application is processed (which takes approx 26 months). So I guess my question is, has anyone experienced similar circumstances and what should/can I do?
An Inland application requires that both the sponsor and applicant live in Canada. You really have no choice but to withdraw the Inland application and start over with an Outland one. If you have just recently sent the Inland application, you can re-use the same receipt, since nothing would have even started with your Inland processing.

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
Ponga said:
An Inland application requires that both the sponsor and applicant live in Canada. You really have no choice but to withdraw the Inland application and start over with an Outland one. If you have just recently sent the Inland application, you can re-use the same receipt, since nothing would have even started with your Inland processing.
Ok thanks for your reply, I guess it makes sense, it's just that we would still be living together when the application is actually being processed so it seems weird to apply for an outland application when that only applies to this one year and not to any other year (including when the application is sent and processed). Plus during that year we will still both do our taxes together, both be on the tenancy agreement and pay rent etc. But yes, I think I just have to face having to write the application again.

Is there anyway to receive the cancelled application? It might seem odd, but it would be incredibly useful to have all of the statutory declarations and photos back to use for the outland application if necessary. It's even still in the mail! They won't physically receive it until the 19th. The job offer really was bad timing.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nick360 said:
Ok thanks for your reply, I guess it makes sense, it's just that we would still be living together when the application is actually being processed so it seems weird to apply for an outland application when that only applies to this one year and not to any other year (including when the application is sent and processed). Plus during that year we will still both do our taxes together, both be on the tenancy agreement and pay rent etc. But yes, I think I just have to face having to write the application again.

Is there anyway to receive the cancelled application? It might seem odd, but it would be incredibly useful to have all of the statutory declarations and photos back to use for the outland application if necessary. It's even still in the mail! They won't physically receive it until the 19th. The job offer really was bad timing.
Try starting here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=732&top=14

No idea how long it's going to take, since as you said, they haven't even received it yet.

Can you contact the courier to have it intercepted and returned? Unless you simply put postage on it and threw it in the mailbox (yikes!), there might be a way to catch it before it reaches CIC.

Good luck!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's also highly likely, depending on your country of citizenship, that the Outland application will be faster anyway.

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
Ponga said:
Try starting here:

No idea how long it's going to take, since as you said, they haven't even received it yet.

Can you contact the courier to have it intercepted and returned? Unless you simply put postage on it and threw it in the mailbox (yikes!), there might be a way to catch it before it reaches CIC.

Good luck!
Ok yes, thank you for your help, I sent it via courier but they say they have to send it to the addressee who can refuse to accept it to get it returned but I doubt i'll get to CIC in time for that to happen.

May I ask if you know what the 'rules' are to be considered living together? I just can't find this information anywhere and it may seem like a silly question but is there a time limit that you can be away from each other?

I'm not in a hurry to get PR status, just want it before my work visa runs out in 2019.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nick360 said:
Ok yes, thank you for your help, I sent it via courier but they say they have to send it to the addressee who can refuse to accept it to get it returned but I doubt i'll get to CIC in time for that to happen.

May I ask if you know what the 'rules' are to be considered living together? I just can't find this information anywhere and it may seem like a silly question but is there a time limit that you can be away from each other?

I'm not in a hurry to get PR status, just want it before my work visa runs out in 2019.
You'll find it in the Inland Guide...somewhere.
Found it:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

Whom may I sponsor using this application package?

You may sponsor your spouse or common‑law partner if he or she meets the following requirements:

* lives with you in Canada,

Clearly, you would no longer be living with her in Canada, correct?

Suffice to say that it is an absolute requirement that both people live together IN Canada, hence the Inland part of the Inland application. ;)

Short trips apart and/or outside of Canada (such as a couple of weeks) are usually not a problem. Since CIC will have access to your border crossing details, they will undoubtedly know if you breach the condition.

Bublikova

Apr 12, 2016
lighty_j said:
Yes, you can change it by canceling current application and submitting outland instead. Outland applications are usually (depends on citizenship) are processed quicker than the inland ones. Also with an inland application there is always risk of not being allowed to reenter Canada (as it is advised to stay in Canada through out the whole process). However, for outland, you would need to travel for the interview to Canadian embassy of your home country, if it is required. So, basically, both routs are not perfect..
Thank you for explanation! Considering everything you wrote, we probably will leave our inland app still, we are not going to travel in coming years, so that's not a problem.
I was just wondering if anybody got refusals on OWP? Cause I will be already on implied status that time. So I was just wondering, if I can apply for post grad permit and use the same receipts after I get an official transcript from my college in two weeks, to play it safe. Did anyone do that?

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
Ponga said:
You'll find it in the Inland Guide...somewhere.
Found it:

Whom may I sponsor using this application package?

You may sponsor your spouse or common‑law partner if he or she meets the following requirements:

* lives with you in Canada,

Clearly, you would no longer be living with her in Canada, correct?

Suffice to say that it is an absolute requirement that both people live together IN Canada, hence the Inland part of the Inland application. ;)

Short trips apart and/or outside of Canada (such as a couple of weeks) are usually not a problem. Since CIC will have access to your border crossing details, they will undoubtedly know if you breach the condition.
Hmm yes, I wish that this was more clear because I feel like I could argue that yes, in fact I do still live with my spouse in Canada on a permanent basis, however, I have a short-term job that will take me elsewhere for some time - I have even organized with the institution in Switzerland that I can work from Canada for several months of that year so that I can be with my spouse. But maybe i'm just refusing to accept the facts....

I have looked at filling out the outland application and I would need to fill out the Western Europe forms because that is where I would be living for one year, but I am actually from NZ, I don't have any other connections with Europe so this seems disingenuous. Also if they require an interview where would this be set up? In Switzerland because that is where I lived for part of the time when I was waiting for them to process the application? or NZ because that is where I am originally from but haven't lived for the past 8 years?

It just feels messy to me, like i'm trying to cheat the system, but i'm not!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nick360 said:
But maybe i'm just refusing to accept the facts....
I think so. ;)

Here's a link to a thread that might be of interest:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sydney-office-anyone-have-info-or-experience-in-processing-time-etc-t72793.0.html

You'll find a dedicated FB page for Aussie's/Kiwi's, along with a link to the spreadsheet for the Sydney Visa Office processing times. While the chances of an interview may be small, there IS a chance that an applicant will be called for an interview...which would mean traveling to Sydney.

Bottom line is that you really can't leave the Inland application in-place, if you take the job in Switzerland.

Blossom318

Star Member
Mar 26, 2014
Hi All...

Question for those who received SA, AIP & DM... .did you receive it via email or regular snail mail?

This waiting is starting to take its toll..

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Blossom318 said:
Hi All...

Question for those who received SA, AIP & DM... .did you receive it via email or regular snail mail?

This waiting is starting to take its toll..

Thanks!
Email, which, when it comes to CIC, is really the same as snail mail, right?! ;)

Keep checking your respective junk folders.

Hortie

Apr 10, 2016
Hi all, my wife applied for PR in December 2014 at which time she didn't apply for an OWP. When PR is given does the OWP come with it or would she then have to apply or can she just apply now and shorten the waiting time for it?

lighty_j

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Sep-2014
AOR Received.
20-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
25-08-2015
Interview........
SA: 27-10-2015
Passport Req..
AIP: 17-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 17-01-2016
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
Hortie said:
Hi all, my wife applied for PR in December 2014 at which time she didn't apply for an OWP. When PR is given does the OWP come with it or would she then have to apply or can she just apply now and shorten the waiting time for it?
When you wife is granted permanent residency, there is no need for a work permit anymore, she is allowed to work automatically. I applied in Sep 2014 and have become a PR about 2 months ago. I think, you should be already close to getting residency, so no need to apply for WP now.