Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
Be careful with volunteering, though, because as a visitor, you're not allowed to do anything that impacts the labor force. I agree, volunteering is a great opportunity! Just look into it before you do it :)

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
msbozick said:
Be careful with volunteering, though, because as a visitor, you're not allowed to do anything that impacts the labor force. I agree, volunteering is a great opportunity! Just look into it before you do it :)
Yeh, I know, but thanks for laying emphasis on it.
This is the best description I found about volunteering:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/work-volunteer.asp

atticusfinch

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
15.05.2014 (after 105 days!)
Med's Done....
Sent with app
As long as the volunteering role you are doing isn't taking the place of someone who would be paid for that role normally, you should be fine.

Also.. (I've previously mentioned this but for those newbies here..) to keep myself busy, I've been language learning (French as I'm in Quebec) and doing some MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course) with Coursera, EdX, etc .. Some of you on the forum might be interested if you aren't familiar with them. They're free & provided/taught by major universities across the globe (e.g. Yale, Stanford, MIT, London, Paris, Tsinghua, etc etc..) . Just Google/Wikipedia 'MOOC' and you should find plenty of links.

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
atticusfinch said:
As long as the volunteering role you are doing isn't taking the place of someone who would be paid for that role normally, you should be fine.

Also.. (I've previously mentioned this but for those newbies here..) to keep myself busy, I've been language learning (French as I'm in Quebec) and doing some MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course) with Coursera, EdX, etc .. Some of you on the forum might be interested if you aren't familiar with them. They're free & provided/taught by major universities across the globe (e.g. Yale, Stanford, MIT, London, Paris, Tsinghua, etc etc..) . Just Google/Wikipedia 'MOOC' and you should find plenty of links.
Where did you study French? Did you paid for it or for free?

Jumps2013

Jun 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2014
AOR Received.
06-08-2014
Med's Done....
02-01-2015
Does anyone know if you can send a OWP after filing for your PR. I was so confused with the process when applications were moved to CPP-M that we neglected to file. My wife does have another 8 months on her work permit but that might now be enough. We filed in March 2014 not sure if we will have AIP by than. On the 2013 Google time line you can see some people did an OWP after the fact.

Also can you file a medical after the fact. She is pregnant so we never did an up front medical. Being that the medical can be done electronically I would think we could do an e medical at anytime and tag it to her client ID. I was thinking of doing the medical a month or so after her giving birth.

Thanks

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
Jumps2013 said:
Does anyone know if you can send a OWP after filing for your PR. I was so confused with the process when applications were moved to CPP-M that we neglected to file. My wife does have another 8 months on her work permit but that might now be enough. We filed in March 2014 not sure if we will have AIP by than. On the 2013 Google time line you can see some people did an OWP after the fact.

Also can you file a medical after the fact. She is pregnant so we never did an up front medical. Being that the medical can be done electronically I would think we could do an e medical at anytime and tag it to her client ID. I was thinking of doing the medical a month or so after her giving birth.

Thanks
I can't comment on sending the OWP application but I know that it's ok to perform the medical at any time, I'm also pregnant (sent my application in early February), I called CIC and they said that I can do the medical and send it in at any point.
Good luck!

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
Yes, you can file but you can't file it now. The earliest you can file is 3 months before the expiration of the current work permit you wife has. As for the medicals, you can do it anytime. I'd say that you should send the medicals now. It *might* help speed up the process. Good luck!

Jumps2013 said:

Thanks

jayjay27

May 1, 2014
Hi everyone!

I am just here here and I feel great to have found a forum like this. This is really of help to everyone. My husband and I got married here in Canada last month and he has been here for 3 months as a visitor. We're planning to submit the inland spousal sponsorship in June. His validity of stay as a visitor is until July. My questions are:

1. Do we need to apply for an extension as a visitor or do we apply for an open work permit?
2. If we decide to submit the inland spousal sponsorship at the same time with the open work permit, where do we mail the documents?

Any help is very much appreciated :)

Pina Colada

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
atticusfinch said:

That's surely something meaningful for you ! As visitors waiting for PR, we really need to do something to keep us busy.
Thanks for the info. Let me google MOOC & find some more details.

atticusfinch

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Smsm81 said:
Where did you study French? Did you paid for it or for free?
I'm 'self-studying' and also going to classes. There are plenty of locations giving the 'free' government classes, but it was hard to find one to accept me (as I don't have an AOR). Fortunately through friends we found one, plus I had some evidence of an immigration app & 'residence' here. For 3hours, 4 days a week for 12 weeks it's $20 total as it's run by volunteers/government supported. Send me a private msg if you are in Montreal & I can send you the details.

atticusfinch

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Pina Colada said:
That's surely something meaningful for you ! As visitors waiting for PR, we really need to do something to keep us busy.
Thanks for the info. Let me google MOOC & find some more details.
DEFINITELY check them out! I just finished 2 courses with coursera.com. They were interesting, informative, fun...and free. You can get certificates too if you think they'll help with job apps later along the line etc.

atticusfinch

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Sent with app
jayjay27 said:
Hi everyone!

I am just here here and I feel great to have found a forum like this. This is really of help to everyone. My husband and I got married here in Canada last month and he has been here for 3 months as a visitor. We're planning to submit the inland spousal sponsorship in June. His validity of stay as a visitor is until July. My questions are:

1. Do we need to apply for an extension as a visitor or do we apply for an open work permit?
2. If we decide to submit the inland spousal sponsorship at the same time with the open work permit, where do we mail the documents?

Any help is very much appreciated :)
Welcome!

If you send an OWP with your app, before his visa expires, he will have implied status. No need to send an extension. Some people do, but we didn't as we were told it was pointless & many people don't realise they have implied status. We sent the OWP application in a marked envelope in the same pack with the full visa application to Mississauga.

jayjay27

May 1, 2014
atticusfinch said:
Welcome!

If you send an OWP with your app, before his visa expires, he will have implied status. No need to send an extension. Some people do, but we didn't as we were told it was pointless & many people don't realise they have implied status. We sent the OWP application in a marked envelope in the same pack with the full visa application to Mississauga.
Thanks atticusfinch! Makes sense to me now. All the best on your application.

dassine2013

Feb 21, 2014
atticusfinch said:
Welcome!

I mailed separately my spousal sponsorship application (January 10) and my OWP (January 30). A CIC call center agent advised me to send an explanatory letter so that both applications will be processed together. He also told me that my OWP was entered in their system and gave me a ''temporary''file number of my sponsorship application.I sent the first letter to CTD Vegreville on february 25. I was told they could not find it. I sent a second letter to CTD Missaussauga two days ago. Do you think that the fact I submitted my applications separately would cause me any problem? Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dassine2013 said:
I mailed separately my spousal sponsorship application (January 10) and my OWP (January 30). A CIC call center agent advised me to send an explanatory letter so that both applications will be processed together. He also told me that my OWP was entered in their system and gave me a ''temporary''file number of my sponsorship application.I sent the first letter to CTD Vegreville on february 25. I was told they could not find it. I sent a second letter to CTD Missaussauga two days ago. Do you think that the fact I submitted my applications separately would cause me any problem? Thanks
Huh? You were told to include a letter asking that your OWP be processed together with your Spousal Sponsorship application?

If your OWP is processed even one day before you reach AIP, it will be denied. AIP is the only thing that qualifies you for an OWP with your Inland Spousal Sponsorship application. They should have told you to write (in big bold letters across the top of the OWP) `OWP SUBMITTED WITH IN-CANADA SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP APPLICATION. PROCESS AFTER AIP'.

Hopefully, they have already figured it out, but...who knows.

Since you did not send them together at the same time, this may not give you implied status, if that was one of the reasons for submitting your OWP.

Good luck!