20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
GustavesF said:
It's like a police officer at a road-check asking you if you've ever consumed alcohol in your life, because if you have then you're arrested for DUI.
Police can and do ask this typical question. "Have you had anything to drink?" According to your logic, you can reply back yes and police do not have to do any future investigation like giving you a breath test, even though, you drank "IN THE PAST" earlier in the day. So does police have any authority to investigate future if you said yes to the question, to determine whether you obeyed the traffic law?

If you say YES, then same logic applies to CIC. CIC can investigate it further if warranted. This no difference from CIC asking the "Have you left Canada" question.

I am only trying to be the devil's advocate. Trying to show you the other side of the coin from CIC's perspective.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Another way is that by asking about leaving Canada, you were suppose to be residing in canada the whole time. Canada doesn't track people leaving Canada, only entering canada.
Yes they do. The second phase of the BTB (Beyond the Border) program captured exit data from all foreign nationals.

The final phase now tracks entry/exit of all travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:
Yes they do. The second phase of the BTB (Beyond the Border) program captured exit data from all foreign nationals.

The final phase now tracks entry/exit of all travellers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
I do believe that BTB is in process BUT don't believe it is fully implemented. I don't think airlines are still not passing on passenger manifest to CBSA. Until someone recently (within the last month) ordered CBSA travel records that showed exit records out of Canada to other countries other than US, I see it to believe it. With Obama not cooperating with Harper, I wouldn't be surprised if it is still dragged out like his Keystone decision.

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
GustavesF said:
One could, in theory, have taken a 1-week vacation to Guam before entering Canada, committed a few crimes, and started Canadian immigration, and their intrepid detective at the landing interview would be none the wiser.
You make an interesting point. :D
Fun fact: Guam is not a country, but a US Territory. The FBI has an office in Maite, Guam.

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
Police can and do ask this typical question. "Have you had anything to drink?" According to your logic, you can reply back yes and police do not have to do any future investigation like giving you a breath test, even though, you drank "IN THE PAST" earlier in the day. So does police have any authority to investigate future if you said yes to the question, to determine whether you obeyed the traffic law?

If you say YES, then same logic applies to CIC. CIC can investigate it further if warranted. This no difference from CIC asking the "Have you left Canada" question.

I am only trying to be the devil's advocate. Trying to show you the other side of the coin from CIC's perspective.
The reason I provided an example is because it differs from the typical example.
The difference between my example and a typical example is the fact that there's a threat hinging on a broad, non-incriminating affirmation.
A cop wouldn't ask if you've ever drank before and threaten arrest if you ever had. They'd ask if you were drinking.

If you admit to leaving Canada, ever, what exactly is the consequence the interviewer was threatening?
Do they bother asking the followup question: "were you away longer than 6 months?", or do they shift right into "wait an extra year" mode.

CIC has no perspective or logic.
These are the same super-sleuths who use the "non-Chinese marrying Chinese = red-flag" handbook.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
GustavesF said:
The reason I provided an example is because it differs from the typical example.
The difference between my example and a typical example is the fact that there's a threat hinging on a broad, non-incriminating affirmation.
A cop wouldn't ask if you've ever drank before and threaten arrest if you ever had. They'd ask if you were drinking.

If you admit to leaving Canada, ever, what exactly is the consequence the interviewer was threatening?
Do they bother asking the followup question: "were you away longer than 6 months?", or do they shift right into "wait an extra year" mode.

CIC has no perspective or logic.
These are the same super-sleuths who use the "non-Chinese marrying Chinese = red-flag" handbook.
Yes. I would expect CIC to ask a follow up question like "how long were you out of Canada?" if you answered yes. If you answered a couple a weeks, you passed. If you answered a couple of months, maybe it may be worth for CIC to investigate further to see if you violated the "reside in Canada" rule for inland sponsorship.

No difference from a police asking a follow up question of "how long ago did you drink? Or "how much did you drink?" if you answer yes to "have you had any drinks?"

While the question is unusual to ask, those who left Canada for a couple of weeks vacation, have nothing to worry about. Those who left longer are pushing the envelope of "staying in Canada rule" are the ones who would worry about that question.

Using your police analogy.

You admitted to drinking 1 bottle of beer to police. You are likely to pass depending on how long ago you drank the beer before driving. The closer you drank one beer before driving the greater the risk of failing breath test. (2 weeks outside Canada)

You admitted to drinking 2 or more bottle of beer to police. You are risking yourself to failing the breath blow test (more than 1 month outside Canada)

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
While the question is unusual to ask, those who left Canada for a couple of weeks vacation, have nothing to worry about. Those who left longer are pushing the envelope of "staying in Canada rule" are the ones who would worry about that question.
The statement from FB is: "As for if she had left Canada, we didn't ask specifically but the agent said it would have been bad if we had".
Sounds like a bit of a threat to me. Not the threat of an extra question, but some unknown consequence.

So, was that agent just having a little joke, or not?
Apparently the call center agents are making up a story about investigating potential crimes committed abroad.

Regardless, none of this is called for.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
GustavesF said:
The statement from FB is: "As for if she had left Canada, we didn't ask specifically but the agent said it would have been bad if we had".
Notice the statement only said this "if she had LEFT Canada...." without any further statement or following up of returning to Canada. That to me, implied left Canada without returning.

So yes it would have been BAD if they had LEFT Canada. If the person has asked or clarified it more by saying "had we left Canada on vacation" or "had we left Canada briefly", I would expect a response from agent to be different. The way that line is presented as is, implied LEFT Canada with no indication of returning.

I think the more appropriate question to ask is "Have you ever left Canada briefly?". This would imply leaving Canada with the intention of returning to honour "stay in Canada" rule. This would cover vacations or day trips to US. This would not cover those who stayed longer than usual to qualify as staying in Canada during processing.

Maciej

May 6, 2014
Terrace
Category........
Visa Office......
Missisuaga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2014
Doc's Request.
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
10-04-2014
Along with email quoted below, our ecas status changed to Decision Made, like always I'm little confused with emails from CIC :)
Is "appointment for finalization" an interview we have to go to or we actually made it to the end of that epic cic journey??
Thanks.

"Dear XXXXXXXX:

This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or

Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.

We are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been completed. The

Canada Immigration Centre in Vancouver will contact you to arrange an appointment for the

finalization of your permanent resident application."

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Maciej said:
Along with email quoted below, our ecas status changed to Decision Made, like always I'm little confused with emails from CIC :)
Is "appointment for finalization" an interview we have to go to or we actually made it to the end of that epic cic journey??
Thanks.

"Dear XXXXXXXX:

This refers to the Application for Permanent Residence you made under the Spouse or

We are pleased to advise you that processing of your application has been completed. The

Canada Immigration Centre in Vancouver will contact you to arrange an appointment for the

Congrats on getting DM. This is your normal standardized letter given to everyone who has a DM. Expect a landing appointment letter from your local CIC office in vancouver.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Maciej said:
Thanks.

"Dear XXXXXXXX:

Congratulations!!!

Maciej

May 6, 2014
Terrace
Category........
Visa Office......
Missisuaga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2014
Doc's Request.
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
10-04-2014
Thank You !!!
I still cant believe, that we made it.
Good luck to everyone

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Maciej said:
Thanks.

"Dear XXXXXXXX:

Looks like they don't need your second police check anymore... Congrats! :)

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Maciej said:
Thank You !!!
I still cant believe, that we made it.
Good luck to everyone
That's amazing!

Gratulacje! ;D

GustavesF

Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
screech339 said:
Notice the statement only said this "if she had LEFT Canada...." without any further statement or following up of returning to Canada. That to me, implied left Canada without returning.
Why are you splitting hairs on this? CIC doesn't need someone to vouch for the management of their sinking ship, they already have full power and authority over thousands of lives.
The interview is in Canada, so if the person admits to leaving Canada there's absolutely no way this could be taken to mean "I left Canada and did not return".
In fact, if the question is "have you ever left Canada" it quite clearly means "did you cross any international borders", which doesn't warrant a threat of unknown consequences.

As it stands there appears to be some kind of threat, that's the part I don't like and I'm not going to warm up to it.

If this was the case of one agent being a joker, then fine, but when the call center stooges back it up with some ridiculous reasoning I can't quite just dismiss it.