+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

INLAND APPLICATIONS 2014

xandt

Star Member
May 12, 2014
vik999 said:
Can someone tell, if I can apply for Temporary SIN on the receipt of AOR under family sponsorship. CIC hasn't started processing..
I am presently on Visitor Visa to Canada.
The idea is to open Bank Account, Credit Card etc once SIN number is available.

Please Tell
You don't need SIN to open bank account and have credit card. Anyone can open bank account with valid ID, not necessarily ID issued in Canada. Banks don't care what your status is here. You are responsible for and tax issue that might incur to you either in Canada or in your legal country of residence. As for credit card, it depends on your credit record. For visitors, it is not likely there's any credit record in Canada. But if you have enough fund in your bank account as warranty, the bank is happy to issue you credit card, probably with very low credit limit to begin with.

Vlad1234

Aug 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 February
Doc's Request.
Send with application
ottawahd said:
In Ontario, she will be under domestic tuition fee from the moment you get married. She will also be a member of UHIP (equivalent to OHIPbut its 50$/month) if she becomes a tudent. My wife is paying domestic tuition fee (I am the sponsor). I Don't know about other provinces. If you live in Ontario and need more info please let me know.
So your wife didn't get anything yet from CIC and she is member of UHIP?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
vik999 said:
Can someone tell, if I can apply for Temporary SIN on the receipt of AOR under family sponsorship. CIC hasn't started processing..
I am presently on Visitor Visa to Canada.
The idea is to open Bank Account, Credit Card etc once SIN number is available.

Please Tell
I had some trouble with opening a bank account, they didn't accept my passport and Hungarian papers. After I got my visitor extension my husband was able to add me to his account (it's issued by the government, so they accept it as primary ID and I used my passport as secondary ID). Once I had the joint bank account I could apply for a prepaid/secured credit card, I was told that this is the first step to build credit, and after approx. one year I will be able to have a regular credit card.

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
sophieee said:
I had some trouble with opening a bank account, they didn't accept my passport and Hungarian papers. After I got my visitor extension my husband was able to add me to his account (it's issued by the government, so they accept it as primary ID and I used my passport as secondary ID). Once I had the joint bank account I could apply for a prepaid/secured credit card, I was told that this is the first step to build credit, and after approx. one year I will be able to have a regular credit card.
[/quote
Didnt you had stamp into ur passport after you arrived? You should have asked why they didnt accepted it! This is the first time I hear some1 was refused opening bank account.
I opened mine while I was in visitor visa, two month later applied for credit card but was refused.. 6 Month later the bank pre approve me for credit card which was issued for $1500. couple of months later I applied and obtain two more credit cards.
I think sometimes wrong people or non experienced in positions could have a great affect, if we dont know our rights and obligation; we will lose a lot.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Smsm81 said:
Didnt you had stamp into ur passport after you arrived? You should have asked why they didnt accepted it! This is the first time I hear some1 was refused opening bank account.
I opened mine while I was in visitor visa, two month later applied for credit card but was refused.. 6 Month later the bank pre approve me for credit card which was issued for $1500. couple of months later I applied and obtain two more credit cards.
I think sometimes wrong people or non experienced in positions could have a great affect, if we dont know our rights and obligation; we will lose a lot.
I got a stamp, but I'm from a visa exempt country, so I didn't have anything else, and they said that's not enough. I was told that if I were from a non visa exempt country and would have a visa, preferable one with picture, than they could help me, but not without that. We tried 3 different banks, always asked for supervisor, but everywhere got the same answer. I was also told that it was easier a few years ago.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sophieee said:
I got a stamp, but I'm from a visa exempt country, so I didn't have anything else, and they said that's not enough. I was told that if I were from a non visa exempt country and would have a visa, preferable one with picture, than they could help me, but not without that. We tried 3 different banks, always asked for supervisor, but everywhere got the same answer. I was also told that it was easier a few years ago.
A lot of banks don't make it easy to open an account while PR is in process. They won't open bank account without PR card in hand. Some may go further to say they need SIN as well. Not sure if this is required as I was able to open my kids account without submitting their SIN.

Screech339

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
the only way i know a bank will allow a non- canadian citizen or pr to open an account is if they are married to a canadian and they are added as a secondary account holder to their spouses' account. Perhaps as suggested above, those with valid visas can do so with proof they are there for an extended period of time. we needed to show our marriage certificate in order for me to be added. TD would not just give me my own account with just my US passport, and i know other banks are the same because i tried. My guess is if someone is successful in opening an account in Canada without the help of a spouse it is because they have a valid visa for entry and have some sort of residence in Canada other than visitor.

CMLR

Jun 19, 2014
I was able to get on my husbands account with no problem. However they limited me a bit for the first 6 months. I was limited on how much I could withdraw through the ATM in a day but that was really the only limit that could ever have been an issue and I could not draw off his line of credit which we never used. It has now been 6 months and really I never had an issue with the limitations. I do not think I could have gotten my own account so easily.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
All this looks crazy to me. Not only didn't I have any problems opening an account, no questions asked, (no marriage certificated etc, just my passport and home ID) with Scotiabank on the first day I arrived here but so did a friend of mine who came as a visitor and wanted to transfer his money due to the poor economy of my home country *and* they also gave him a $1000 credit card. They gave me a $500 one, seemed a bit random lol

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Monkeyfish said:
Yet so many billionaires are able to stash money here in Canadian banks to avoid taxes. No questions asked.
yeah, i don't get it either. perhaps it depends on the bank and how much money a person has? wouldn't surpise me at all if someone with millions of dollars is able to convince a bank to open an account.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
rhcohen2014 said:
yeah, i don't get it either. perhaps it depends on the bank and how much money a person has? wouldn't surpise me at all if someone with millions of dollars is able to convince a bank to open an account.
Banks will want millionaires / billionaires to put their money in their bank. This allow the bank to give out loans to everyone else. The more money they have in the bank, the more they can loan out.

But to say to avoid taxes, that is not true. Any interests generated from the millions / billions in the bank has to be reported as income to CRA.

xandt

Star Member
May 12, 2014
It might depends on the situation (which I don't know what). I had my bank account here and had credit card issued to me when I came here as a visitor. And I only put in a couple of thousand dollars in the account. I'm also from visa exempt country so there is no visa required for me to come in as visitor. When I asked other banks if non-resident foreigners can open bank account, they said that would be fine.

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
When I opened my account I didn't put anything in at first, so it was basically with zero funds. My friend put around 20k so again not a huge amount, without any hassle. What did surprise me was his credit card though which had twice my limit and he was a visitor, that was weird indeed.