Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 9, 2012
Med's Request
December 5, 2012
Med's Done....
December 10,2012
hi,

wanted to ask, if any of you got appointment dates already? especially for those who got DM's last April?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canadaeh1234 said:
hi,

wanted to ask, if any of you got appointment dates already? especially for those who got DM's last April?
We haven't gotten appointment date letter yet and ours was march 28. Called CIC about it today and was told that we were suppose to receive letter by now. They will contact local office to make an appointment.

Screech339

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
Loops said:
Hi there!
As far as I know, you do get implied status, I was in thee same exact situation, I was working and explained the situation to my employer, they were nice enought to seat with me and together did a condference call to CIC, they did explained to them that as long as I have send my OWP application I will get implied status and continue working normally. They actually told me that I will have to keep on working on the same company because if I change employers, by law they will need a copy of my valid work permit and a valid SIN to register me as a new employee.

I come also from a visa exempt country and my working visa was as well part of my studies and I never got a problem by working while on implied status. I sent the application for OWP along with all my docs for the sponsorship and it was approved right after my AIP ,I did sent everything waaaaay before my actual visa expired and got the OWP just a few weeks after it expired so I didnt really have any issue since I work under implied status only 2 or 3 weeks.

Hope it helps!! :)
That does help a lot and alleviates a ton of stress for me, so thank you and appreciate it. I called CIC today as well and they said I can continue working with the same employer, I will call again to verify as well. I am getting mixed info on this as well so not sure. But good to know you have been in the same situation as me!

Thanks,

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hockeyfan said:
That does help a lot and alleviates a ton of stress for me, so thank you and appreciate it. I called CIC today as well and they said I can continue working with the same employer, I will call again to verify as well. I am getting mixed info on this as well so not sure. But good to know you have been in the same situation as me!

Thanks,
@ hockeyguy

Glad to know that you are okay working under implied status. I would have thought otherwise. I would have thought that implied status actually implied "legal stay" in Canada. Not to "implied legal continue working despite work visa expired". Anyway good to know more info on the subject matter.

As for getting mixed messages, that is an unfortuate reality. We were reading different answers from agents at local offices saying you must have PR card to apply for SIN, others say you can with COPR, in which the latter is correct. I think this mixed messages we are getting is due to lack of training and/or experience of the agents involved. Some may even be wilful ignorant of the fact and doesn't want to comply with conformity of the rules. One could say that one must process a PR card to apply for SIN, knowing full well a COPR will suffice or been shown documents stating otherwise to them.

But generally mixed messages, I think, are largely due to lack of information knowledge on the agent's part. If all the agents handling the calls are fully trained and trained/reviewed often, we would be getting consistent, more informed answers every time.

Screech339

Nigea

Star Member
Jun 17, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/12/2012
AOR Received.
29/01/2013
File Transfer...
DM Oct. 31
Med's Done....
23/11/2012
LANDED..........
10/12/2013
I think the people at the call center are just that. People hired to handle calls and just read from a script

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Nigea said:
I think the people at the call center are just that. People hired to handle calls and just read from a script
Yes. Imagined most of them are just call handlers to respond what's on their computer screen. I would wonder if the "new employee" would be more knowledgable as he/she would have had recent training and thus remember more on the subject matters. Whereas an employee who has been there a while, probably lost a few knowledgeable info after a long time on the job and may not be bothered to keep up to speed on the changes or subject matter.

Screech339

jiggyzealous

Jan 22, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 26, 2012
AOR Received.
December 21, 2012
Med's Done....
August 17, 2012
Interview........
God waived it for us
LANDED..........
Praying for this year
Call centre agents receive no training whatsoever. Call CIC ten times a day see of you'll not get 10 different answers; even if you speak with the same agent those ten times. For a country that depends largely on immigration the right people should be interacting with prospective immigrants, because that's where the perception of the country's attitudes toward us begin. It's no different than customer to service provider relationship in a profit making entity

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
That sounds troublesome, I have heard the CIC call center agents are not very reliable though. So, it's a tough situation for me, not really quite sure what to do. It would be about 6 weeks past expiry of PGWP, when I should get AIP and OWP, so not very long.

Has anyone else had in experience in terms of working with a post graduate work permit and it expiring before you get AIP and an OWP? Have you continued to work?

Let me know!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hockeyfan said:
That sounds troublesome, I have heard the CIC call center agents are not very reliable though. So, it's a tough situation for me, not really quite sure what to do. It would be about 6 weeks past expiry of PGWP, when I should get AIP and OWP, so not very long.

Has anyone else had in experience in terms of working with a post graduate work permit and it expiring before you get AIP and an OWP? Have you continued to work?

Let me know!
@ hockeyguy

Honestly don't think you are able to continue working on a post graduate work permit after it expires. Don't think the "implied status" would fall in this part of the work permit. It is a different work permit from a regular work visa or open work permit. It is a special work permit for graduates to work in Canada so they can gain Canadian work experience, valuable in applying for PR or WÓrk permit under Canadian experience program.

In my opinion when you finish education, you are only a post graduate. Thus the pgwp will allow to work for 3 years. After your 3 years are up, you are no longer considered post graduate. You are then a foreign national with a canadian work experience. I read one guy had to stop working once his pgwp expired even though he had implied status under sponsorship.

Screech339

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
screech339 said:
@ hockeyguy

Honestly don't think you are able to continue working on a post graduate work permit after it expires. Don't think the "implied status" would fall in this part of the work permit. It is a different work permit from a regular work visa or open work permit. It is a special work permit for graduates to work in Canada so they can gain Canadian work experience, valuable in applying for PR or WÓrk permit under Canadian experience program.

In my opinion when you finish education, you are only a post graduate. Thus the pgwp will allow to work for 3 years. After your 3 years are up, you are no longer considered post graduate. You are then a foreign national with a canadian work experience. I read one guy had to stop working once his pgwp expired even though he had implied status under sponsorship.

Screech339
Yeah, I am fairly confused to be honest. I called CIC again and the agent said I could keep working. They said because post graduate work permit is a type of open work permit, which it is because I can work for anyone in Canada. So technically, it is a open work permit that I have and so can be renewed and thus I can continue working.

I might need to consult someone, I live in BC, does anyone know someone qualified who I can get free advice from?

Thanks!

boredhousewife

Apr 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-04-2012
IELTS Request
AIP: 10-09-2012
File Transfer...
DM: 06-26-13
LANDED..........
08-14-13
Wow, i just happened on the inland applicants 2010 topic, and there are people there who just got landed this month even though their files hadn't been transferred to any local office :eek:. I am going to stop being impatient and instead be thankful that I at least received AIP faster than expected.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hockeyfan said:
Yeah, I am fairly confused to be honest. I called CIC again and the agent said I could keep working. They said because post graduate work permit is a type of open work permit, which it is because I can work for anyone in Canada. So technically, it is a open work permit that I have and so can be renewed and thus I can continue working.

I might need to consult someone, I live in BC, does anyone know someone qualified who I can get free advice from?

Thanks!
I guess you can renew your pgwp. I only found this university website that contains details on how to renew/extend pgwp.

http://sites.stfx.ca/student_life/post_grad_work_permit_renewal

It is not an offical government website as I couldn't find link that says you can renew/extend pgwp

Screech339

i.imran

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 jan 2012
AOR Received.
5 may 2012
Med's Request
20 sept 2012
I m jan 2012 applicant ,my husband got remedical request today by email....
Jus to update u guys.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hockeyfan said:

Thanks!
If you go to cic website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf , you can find under "categories of work with validity periods which may not be exceeded. Capture 11.2 on page 99 of 190. You will find post-graduate employment - validity - can be used only once; total employment up to a maximum of 3 years.

It appears that according to that, you can extend your pgwp up to a maximum of 3 years no more. If you currently have 3 year pgwp and it soons expires, you cannot renew it or extend it. This is as close to official government policy on post graduate work permit I can find.

Screech339

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
screech339 said:
If you go to cic website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf , you can find under "categories of work with validity periods which may not be exceeded. Capture 11.2 on page 99 of 190. You will find post-graduate employment - validity - can be used only once; total employment up to a maximum of 3 years.

It appears that according to that, you can extend your pgwp up to a maximum of 3 years no more. If you currently have 3 year pgwp and it soons expires, you cannot renew it or extend it. This is as close to official government policy on post graduate work permit I can find.

Screech339
Thanks Screech, you have been really helpful in this matter and I really appreciate the time you took to answer some of my questions. I am still fairly confused, and am not sure what to do next. I guess apply for an LMO through my work if possible and get a new work permit and see where this all takes me.