Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2010
Hey Mexicanito,

We are in the same situation (yay for AIP!). I checked the application times listed by CIC and they say online is 76 days and mail is 66 days for a new employer. For the same employer online is 111 days and online is 76 days. Ours would be for a new employer but I think we`ll do online anyways... i just feel like it should be faster...

My fiancee is out of status now too. I didn`t know that we`d have to pay the extra $200. If I didn`t think we were going to have a bit of a wait since he doesn`t have his federal police certificate, we might just skip the OWP application and wait for PR.

Did you already get your federal police certificate How long did it take to get (sorry, my keyboard is being strange and isn`t doing question marks right now).

Bluesky2010

Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2010
Thanks Jurgen!

sa_ja

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2010
Med's Request
15-09-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
Interview........
-
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
missha said:
Why one needs RCMP?
Everybody does.. CIC do the check directly with RCMP. Applicants don t need to sent it as they have a internal way of doing it ... I am trying to find out how long it takes for CIC to receive it... Anybody knows!!?

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mexicanito said:
Hey guys I have a huge question for you... As most of you know I was lucky enough to get AIP a few weeks ago and after celebrating and everything, we want to send the work permit app, which I guess will take 50 to 60 days right? so Actually two questions, we are planning on applying for the OWP online, which in theory may be faster than actually mailing the app, but you never know with cic... what do you guys think is faster? online or regular mail?

And the second question is, about the fee... so for the OWP there is a 150 cad fee right? but it says there that if we have being out of status for the past 90 days we have to pay additional 200 cad... soooooo... when we sent the app we were pretty ignorant about the whole process and we never extended my stay as an american citizen, so I enter canada in sep 2010 and since march 2011 I would be out of status right? but now that I have the AIP... would I still have to par the 200 for being out of status or I am now considered in implied status...????

Thanks in advance folks... and enjoy your Halloween :D !!!!!
Hi, all the replies you got so far is wrong.

If you are out-of-status and have received AIP, you may now apply for OWP WITHOUT having to restore your status.

Just fill the OWP form and send it with a copy of your AIP letter.

I have done this process and have read tons of similar situation, so just apply for it, YOU DON'T NEED TO RESTORE YOUR STATUS.

Don't apply on-line, it will take forever, do it the regular way.

--
I have been through the same process with same circumstances.
When I received my AIP, I just filled out the OWP form and attached a copy of the letter that my partner and I had received, and explained I was doing the Sponsorship process and that I wanted to apply for an Open Work Permit. A month letter I was issued the visa. With the OWP you will be able to apply for a temporary SIN.

themount

Oct 27, 2011
Application received: 29th November 2010 With Medical, all complete,

Processing: 13th January 2011

We called and just got an automated reply saying we should have a response by Oct 31st 2011, its the first of Nov!

we are outside the 10-11 months. It is a good test of patience for sure

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
My hubby applied for his OWP on paper and sent it by courier. Two months later they had not even started processing it and he was landed. Once landed, you cannot get an OWP, and therefore cannot get the temporary SIN, which can be changed to a permanent SIN upon landing. You must wait for your PR card to get a SIN. He has now been landed for over 2.5 months and still has not received his PR card (they said another 1-2 months) and therefore cannot get his SIN or work.

We were advised by a lawyer to do the paper app, even though online was supposed to be faster. Do whichever way is fastest according to the website so you don't end up in our situation!

A lot of people have been waiting ages for their PR cards, there is a separate thread for that....

Sep 22, 2011
Hi,

I finally received a letter from the Montreal office. I will be landing on the 15th Nov. Yay!

@tplink1357: Hope you will also hear something very soon!

mexicanito

Star Member
Aug 22, 2011
edmonton
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justina said:
My hubby applied for his OWP on paper and sent it by courier. Two months later they had not even started processing it and he was landed. Once landed, you cannot get an OWP, and therefore cannot get the temporary SIN, which can be changed to a permanent SIN upon landing. You must wait for your PR card to get a SIN. He has now been landed for over 2.5 months and still has not received his PR card (they said another 1-2 months) and therefore cannot get his SIN or work.

We were advised by a lawyer to do the paper app, even though online was supposed to be faster. Do whichever way is fastest according to the website so you don't end up in our situation!

A lot of people have been waiting ages for their PR cards, there is a separate thread for that....
Oh man... That's a long time... that was the reason I did not want both stages at the same time, because I need to work ASAP and I thought an OWP would be faster than waiting for the PR card... well we are sending it today on the mail and hopefully is here by the end of december... my wife is pregnant and is due on Feb 22nd so I NEED TO WORK !!!... lol... greeting to everyone...

tplink1357

Aug 19, 2011
Mrs happy tree said:
Hi,

I finally received a letter from the Montreal office. I will be landing on the 15th Nov. Yay!

@ tplink1357: Hope you will also hear something very soon!
Congrats. I hope soon I will receive it soon

Mark_Anna

Nov 23, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
Doc's Request.
07-07-2014
Interview........
19-02-2015 Citizenship test
LANDED..........
30-01-2012
Immigration levels will stay at around 250,000 newcomers a year, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says ahead of unveiling 2012 Immigration Action Plan.

He also said a new law to curb immigration through fraudulent marriages will be brought into effect next year. The new regulation will impose a two-year period of conditional residency on foreign sponsored spouses and a five-year moratorium on their ability to sponsor someone. “If you come in as a sponsored spouse and become a permanent resident and then divorce your Canadian husband or wife, you will not be able to turn around and sponsor someone from overseas,” Kenney said. “This is what every other immigrant receiving country — Australia, New Zealand, Britain and the U.S. do, and the only question is why we didn’t do it a while ago?”

According to Minister Kenney, the new regulation is warranted by what he calls is a revolving door of marriage fraud. “Someone comes in, sometimes they pay a Canadian to sponsor them as a spouse, they immediately get a divorced and then the person who got landed, marries someone overseas, and sponsors them in, and they get paid … we are going to stop the revolving door through a five-year moratorium on the ability of the foreign sponsored spouses to bring someone else through the program.”

Last year, the ministry conducted consultations on the issue. Minister Kenney said a majority of participants recommended a period of conditional residency for sponsored foreign spouses. “In fact most people who participated told us that the conditional period should be five years, instead of just two years.”

Minister Kenney maintained that many Canadians have been victimized by foreign spouses who used them as a tool to come to Canada and have immediately left the marriage or abused the spouse. “The most effective tool is to stop fraudulent marriages from being approved in the first place because they are so hard to deal with once the person is admitted into Canada. We will continue to be very vigilant. It’s difficult … we want to let the legitimate married couples in but keep the fake ones out and that’s what our officers are trained to do.”

CIC receives from China and India a large number of spousal sponsorship applications through fake marriages. Anti-fraud experts working for the Canadian government called migration integrity officers are trained to identify such fraudulent applications. Recently, a large number of applications from China’s Guangzhou province were rejected. “Canadians were being paid up to $60,000 by criminal organizations, to sponsor Chinese citizens they had never met and we started interviewing these applicants and we found out they knew nothing about the spouse and they had no consistent story or proof of relationship.”

However, it is common in India and other South Asian countries marriages are arranged by families and a couple may not know all the details about each other soon after the marriage. When responding to a question from the Canadian Immigrant on how immigration applications from such marriages are handled by the officers, Minister Kenney said: “We believe that arranged marriages are legitimate, if they are for the purpose of marriage and not for the purpose of immigration. And our officers are specifically trained to make that assessment

what about recent keep waiting files?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Hello there everyone! Sorry I have been away. I just got word that I can finally start training for my job next week. FINALLY!! :p

Anyway, I have a few questions if you all don't mind and could give some input. Hubby and I were talking some about our financial set up with our current banks (Scotia and RBC) and I noticed that most banks have "newcomer" programs. I was hoping to take advantage of this but can you do this if you are on a joint account with a bank already? If not, do you know what would be the best option for me to at least establish credit here as an immigrant? I would prefer unsecured if possible but I doubt it is. Any advice you have on banks at all would be great. Thanks. :)

Serendipity

Star Member
Sep 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Love_Young said:
Hello there everyone! Sorry I have been away. I just got word that I can finally start training for my job next week. FINALLY!! :p

Anyway, I have a few questions if you all don't mind and could give some input. Hubby and I were talking some about our financial set up with our current banks (Scotia and RBC) and I noticed that most banks have "newcomer" programs. I was hoping to take advantage of this but can you do this if you are on a joint account with a bank already? If not, do you know what would be the best option for me to at least establish credit here as an immigrant? I would prefer unsecured if possible but I doubt it is. Any advice you have on banks at all would be great. Thanks. :)

Dear LY,

Congrats on your new job. The one thing that you may want to do is to stick with a bank that already has you as an account holder. Provided that they find you eligible, the Scotia Bank StartRight Program is certainly a great option. The question is how much of a newcomer you really are in the eyes of financial institutions, specially when considering that you have been in the system for a while. I guess the right answer to your question is only a phone call away! :)

To establish credit in Canada is pretty much the same as in the US. 1) Open a bank account, which you already did. 2) Open a savings account with regular or high interests. 3) Get a department store credit card account. Their rates will be higher but they will be easier to get. 4) Apply for a secured major credit card. 5) Or apply for an unsecured high interest credit card. TD Bank or President's Choice will be happy to give you one. 6) Invest.

Given that you are already a landed immigrant, and because of that you have a permanent SIN, you should be able to get unsecured CCs with some institutions as described above.

:)

S.

californiajeninca

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hatrang said:
Guys, I just bumped into this news for those who want to get citizenship ticket.
http://www.cicnews.com/2011/10/canadian-citizenship-harder-101110.html
It's not the good news for non-English speaker though. Happy Halloween people!
I think if you come to an English speaking country and want to get benefits and services, you should have a pretty good grasp of the dominant language. Plus from the time you become a PR to citizenship, you have 3 years to improve your speaking/reading/writing skills.

This kind of news shouldn't be scary, it should be a push to work a little harder to gain new knowledge.

@ LY Congratulations on your training!! Have you been in school or working at another job? good luck!

@ Mrs. Happy Tree -Congratulations on landing. I'm still waiting on my letters and hoping my landing interview comes in the mail or gets called soon.

anyone else live in the Hamilton and or Niagara Region of Ontario?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Serendipity said:
Dear LY,

Congrats on your new job. The one thing that you may want to do is to stick with a bank that already has you as an account holder. Provided that they find you eligible, the Scotia Bank StartRight Program is certainly a great option. The question is how much of a newcomer you really are in the eyes of financial institutions, specially when considering that you have been in the system for a while. I guess the right answer to your question is only a phone call away! :)

To establish credit in Canada is pretty much the same as in the US. 1) Open a bank account, which you already did. 2) Open a savings account with regular or high interests. 3) Get a department store credit card account. Their rates will be higher but they will be easier to get. 4) Apply for a secured major credit card. 5) Or apply for an unsecured high interest credit card. TD Bank or President's Choice will be happy to give you one. 6) Invest.

Given that you are already a landed immigrant, and because of that you have a permanent SIN, you should be able to get unsecured CCs with some institutions as described above.

:)

S.
Yes, I was considering Scotiabank's StartRight program. We would like to stay with them if possible. We have had a joint account there for almost 2 years now. So I would definitely say that they may not see me as a newcomer to them. Would you know if it would help my chances to get an unsecured card since I have been on hubby's CC's as well in the past couple of years?

californiajeninca said:
@ LY Congratulations on your training!! Have you been in school or working at another job? good luck!
Why thank you. ;D No, I haven't been to school and I have waiting a 1 1/2 months to work at a company now. They applied for the province to provide funding for better training. So before they could hire me, I had to wait for that to go through. I got the call Monday though that I should get my work schedule to start training for next week on this Friday.

TRUE RUSSIAN

Star Member
Jul 20, 2011
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
KIEV, UKRAINE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 6, 2014
File Transfer...
May 28, 2016
HI GUYS!!! THAT'S WHAT MY E-CAS SAYS NOW...

We received your application for permanent residence on October 8, 2010.

We started processing your application on June 9, 2011.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made and you will be contacted.

We received the requested information on September 12, 2011. Thank you for providing the information.

We sent you a letter on September 19, 2011 to ***, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, *** about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

You entered Canada at the Edmonton CIC office on October 27, 2011 and became a Permanent Resident.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU:)))