Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-19-2013
Markm said:
... the only way there would be an issue, is if she's rejected from re-entering Canada. With a multiple entrance VISA, this is not an issue.
On this point, the multiple entrance Visa isn't necessarily going to stop her from being denied re-entry. All it takes is one border control agent having a bad day or not being current with immigration law to turn her away.

My wife and I, when we were preparing our paperwork for but prior to filing, experienced this first hand when I tried crossing over and I was denied re-entry. It didn't matter that I was in the right and should have been allowed in. It's the agents discretion and they turned me away. If we'd already filed, our app would have been considered abandoned and we would have had to start over.

You might have gotten away with it. I crossed the border without issue quite a few times before we filed. All it takes is one time, one denial, and you're in the system and back to square one, regardless of what visa you hold.

Markm

Jun 1, 2012
qw123 said:
doubt equals interview then issue AIP

CIC may have a hard time to find out you have a genuine relationship due to these multi exits,

one thing you must avoid to avoid being denied is by trying to do medical in mexico...she applied inland so her medical must come form canada. this will get you denied for certain if done in mexico.

police check is ok from mexico.

as we advise you,,,,the app may be refused by her traveling out. she applied inland and she has to respect that. she is on visitor visa and one thing with that is cic or border people must not know she has intenstion to remain here permanently..which is why on visior visa if they find out that the application inland is in process...she can get denied as per her intention. Good luck ...

Tell me what the point to apply inland she she cant say to finish the process. this is a ticket to denial.
Thanks for the info about the medical, crisis averted!

I see what you're saying, I guess for us it's especially frustrating because all she wants to do is work, and the amount of hoops we have to jump through borders on the ridiculous. Thanks again for the advice!

computergeek said:
It's difficult not to get frustrated at the process (I'm now two weeks shy of three years on my first application, and just over 3 months on my second application.)

The risk is always that someone at the border will decide to be a jerk - a CBSA officer in a (very) bad mood. Everyone there understands that if they refuse her entry, her application is dead. That is why most people choose NOT to risk it.

If she's a skilled engineer, why didn't you just set up a consulting company and hire her out? If you want to be really up front about it, go get an LMO for her and a work permit - the paperwork isn't that onerous although employers hate to do it for some reason. Otherwise, working for the "family business" without pay is generally acceptable (it's a grey area, admittedly, but as long as the taxes all get paid nobody generally cares.)
Do you mind me asking what happened with the first app? Best of luck to you this time around.

You're right, it's unbelievably frustrating, expensive, time consuming, and completely unproductive. But they aren't gonna change things for us, I'm sure. The awful thing is, they actually tightened immigration rules around Mexicans about the same time as we met!

We don't want to take any undue risks with starting businesses and having her 'work' that way. We've considered it, but I don't think it's worth it. We just want it to be over so we can get on with our lives!

She's interviewed with several companies - NO ONE wants to do an LMO. Just not worth the time and effort, when they can find a Canadian who's almost as qualified.

StoneTable said:
On this point, the multiple entrance Visa isn't necessarily going to stop her from being denied re-entry. All it takes is one border control agent having a bad day or not being current with immigration law to turn her away.

My wife and I, when we were preparing our paperwork for but prior to filing, experienced this first hand when I tried crossing over and I was denied re-entry. It didn't matter that I was in the right and should have been allowed in. It's the agents discretion and they turned me away. If we'd already filed, our app would have been considered abandoned and we would have had to start over.

You might have gotten away with it. I crossed the border without issue quite a few times before we filed. All it takes is one time, one denial, and you're in the system and back to square one, regardless of what visa you hold.
interesting. Our experience with the border agents has always been favourable, but i can see what you mean about it just taking one bad agent to ruin it for us. I'm aware that the VISA doesn't guarantee her entry - however she's had probably 10 stamps in her passport from entering/exiting Canada, and typically the border guards are always satisfied with out story. We're pretty likeable people, so maybe that helps ;)

Well I must say, I'm definitely a little scared now - considering she's already in Mexico now, should she come back sooner than planned? I was going to meet her there at the end of July, spend a week with her family, and then come back together. Is it worth her coming back now? I fear that should she encounter a bad border guard on the way back, she may not be able to handle it as my professionally as if I was with her (not gloating, just really a language barrier).

Oh what a headache.....

Thanks again everyone, really really helpful stuff here.

cililoca

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 5 2011
Markm said:
Thanks for the info about the medical, crisis averted!

I see what you're saying, I guess for us it's especially frustrating because all she wants to do is work, and the amount of hoops we have to jump through borders on the ridiculous. Thanks again for the advice!

Do you mind me asking what happened with the first app? Best of luck to you this time around.

You're right, it's unbelievably frustrating, expensive, time consuming, and completely unproductive. But they aren't gonna change things for us, I'm sure. The awful thing is, they actually tightened immigration rules around Mexicans about the same time as we met!

We don't want to take any undue risks with starting businesses and having her 'work' that way. We've considered it, but I don't think it's worth it. We just want it to be over so we can get on with our lives!

She's interviewed with several companies - NO ONE wants to do an LMO. Just not worth the time and effort, when they can find a Canadian who's almost as qualified.

interesting. Our experience with the border agents has always been favourable, but i can see what you mean about it just taking one bad agent to ruin it for us. I'm aware that the VISA doesn't guarantee her entry - however she's had probably 10 stamps in her passport from entering/exiting Canada, and typically the border guards are always satisfied with out story. We're pretty likeable people, so maybe that helps ;)

Well I must say, I'm definitely a little scared now - considering she's already in Mexico now, should she come back sooner than planned? I was going to meet her there at the end of July, spend a week with her family, and then come back together. Is it worth her coming back now? I fear that should she encounter a bad border guard on the way back, she may not be able to handle it as my professionally as if I was with her (not gloating, just really a language barrier).

Oh what a headache.....

Thanks again everyone, really really helpful stuff here.
Do you really think your wife is the only one that just wants to work and get on with her life? We all do and we all get frustrated and angry at the system. If you guys wanted to come and go she should have applied outside, it's not only faster but you can get your multiple entry visa, come and go as you please and don't risk your immigration being cancelled. You are gambling with your luck, as people said, it takes only one immigration officer in a bad day and you are DONE! I hope you get away with it but it's all a big shot in the dark!

I speak English fluently, have work experience in Canada working in the Oil Industry and could not get a job either that would give me LMO. I'm also very career driven and the wait has been really painful, however I could not bear the thought of staying away from my husband, not even a week, or a month, when we have to spend the night apart it's very hard already! We are all on the same boat, if you have the money what she should be doing is investing in some English classes so when she can finally work she can find a proper job in a Canadian Company, as without speaking proper English that will be a challenge!

I wish the best luck for you guys, but you have to understand you are just like everybody else, be patient and careful in what you do. Immigration is getting each day more though and it doesn't take much for them to start finding you relationship "suspicious".

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
kamiro said:
Oh! Guess what came in the mail! A few more dates to add to the group.

App Received: July 15 2011
App Started: Aug 3, 2011
AIP: May 31, 2012
DM: June 4, 2012
Interview: June 18, 2012 (Vancouver)

We are so not waiting for the PR Card. I'm pre-filling out the "Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad)" for the Sao Paulo Canadian Consulate so that I can go visit my in-laws! What do you think, is it too early to book plane tickets?
Congratulations... go for it, nothing to worry, we bought our tickets the day we received that letter, then we emailed the Canadian Consulate asking for the exact forms, they responded in less than 24 hours, and we filled those forms before leaving on vacation and remember to bring a 50$ bill they do not accept visa payment or local currency... Enjoy Sao Paulo... we are already planning to visit (FIFA world Cup)...

waiting_marta

Jun 9, 2012
I felt pretty secure when I left Canada over a month ago during the 1st stage, coz I thought that since I'm from a visa expempt country I wouldn't have any issues on my way back. And guess what happened on the border? They said my previous work permit expired and I'm not allowed to go back (even though I don't need a visa to get in!). I started explaining that I applied for PR and my common-law partner is Canadian and is waiting on the other side of the airport. The CBSA guy was indeed in a pissy mood and I couldn't believe it's happening... Thank God he typed in my case number and it turned out that CIC just recently (May 31) decided that I'm eligible to apply for PR and planned to send me an OWP. I'm pretty sure that if not that lucky update I wouldn't be here now...

P.S. Medicals need to be done by doctors specified by CIC (if applied INLAND- there's a list of inland doctors in each bigger canadian city, if applied OUTSIDE- there's a list of doctors provided by canadian consulates in each country).

Markm

Jun 1, 2012
waiting_marta said:
I felt pretty secure when I left Canada over a month ago during the 1st stage, coz I thought that since I'm from a visa expempt country I wouldn't have any issues on my way back. And guess what happened on the border? They said my previous work permit expired and I'm not allowed to go back (even though I don't need a visa to get in!). I started explaining that I applied for PR and my common-law partner is Canadian and is waiting on the other side of the airport. The CBSA guy was indeed in a pissy mood and I couldn't believe it's happening... Thank God he typed in my case number and it turned out that CIC just recently (May 31) decided that I'm eligible to apply for PR and planned to send me an OWP. I'm pretty sure that if not that lucky update I wouldn't be here now...

P.S. Medicals need to be done by doctors specified by CIC (if applied INLAND- there's a list of inland doctors in each bigger canadian city, if applied OUTSIDE- there's a list of doctors provided by canadian consulates in each country).
Wow, that's extremely lucky. That said, I think that answers my above question of receiving AIP while she's out of the country - thanks for that.

cililoca said:
Do you really think your wife is the only one that just wants to work and get on with her life? We all do and we all get frustrated and angry at the system. If you guys wanted to come and go she should have applied outside, it's not only faster but you can get your multiple entry visa, come and go as you please and don't risk your immigration being cancelled. You are gambling with your luck, as people said, it takes only one immigration officer in a bad day and you are DONE! I hope you get away with it but it's all a big shot in the dark!

I speak English fluently, have work experience in Canada working in the Oil Industry and could not get a job either that would give me LMO. I'm also very career driven and the wait has been really painful, however I could not bear the thought of staying away from my husband, not even a week, or a month, when we have to spend the night apart it's very hard already! We are all on the same boat, if you have the money what she should be doing is investing in some English classes so when she can finally work she can find a proper job in a Canadian Company, as without speaking proper English that will be a challenge!

I wish the best luck for you guys, but you have to understand you are just like everybody else, be patient and careful in what you do. Immigration is getting each day more though and it doesn't take much for them to start finding you relationship "suspicious".
No, I don't think I'm the only one in this situation - nor did I say or imply that I was. Didn't mean to offend you, or come across like our case is special. Just giving you guys the specifics of our situation - thank you for the response, sans the attitude. And it's fantastic that everyone here is an expert on these topics, but when this is all happening in the beginning, and you're getting different advice from lawyers, different advice from CIC reps, and finding even different advice online, it's not easy to decide whether or not to appy inland out outland. Not only that, but a very close friend of mine had gone through the EXACT same situation I was in, only she was about a year ahead of me. She applied inland, her husband got his multiple VISA, they visited Mexico regularly, etc etc. and never had a problem. Seeing this first hand, and on the advice of our lawyer (whether she was right or not is now irrelevant), we applied inland. Pretty easy for you to look at my situation and say 'in hindsight, this is what you should have done'.

She does speak English quite well, but of course your 2nd or 3rd language will never be equivalent to a native speaker. I'm sure you can understand that your husband likely has a better grasp of English than you do (no offense intended, as your English is excellent - and assuming he was born and raised in an English-speaking environment). Given a sticky situation like dealing with a border agent, I think I'm better equipped to handle the situation than her.

Anyways, it's too late now. Retrospect is great and hindsight is always 20/20, but now you know what my situation is. The question that I posed, was, now that she's already out of the Country, is the general consensus that's it better to come back immediately, or stick to our plan (me going to see her in July, and us coming back together).

Of course, if I get a letter saying she needs an interview, then she's going to have to come back. If not, we'll get AIP and OWP, and be asked for medical and police checks.

Let's assume for the sake of my example that she does not need an interview. If she gets the AIP, and she's outside of the country, then I would think she should have no problems returning? Or will she still be subject to pissy border guards ruining our party?

I apologize for my long rants and even more so if I offended anyone, certainly not my intention. I know we're all in similar situations, and that we must be patient. best of luck to all.

tzing

Jan 23, 2012
waiting_marta said:

wow you are really lucky, but if i were you, i would probably panic at that moment. what is wrong with CIC and CBSA....they don't catch and have no ability to catch the fake refugees, but get pissed at people who deserve to stay in canada and have potential to work and pay taxes. it makes me mad every time i hear story like yours.

Markm

Jun 1, 2012
tzing said:
wow you are really lucky, but if i were you, i would probably panic at that moment. what is wrong with CIC and CBSA....they don't catch and have no ability to catch the fake refugees, but get pissed at people who deserve to stay in canada and have potential to work and pay taxes. it makes me mad every time i hear story like yours.
This is probably the most frustrating aspect of it all. They put processes in place to deter criminals from entering, but by doing so make it even harder for those with legitimate relationships to have a decent quality of life, at least for the first year (or longer in many cases). For a country that was built from the ground up on immigration, it's surprising.

tzing

Jan 23, 2012
Markm said:
Wow, that's extremely lucky. That said, I think that answers my above question of receiving AIP while she's out of the country - thanks for that.

I apologize for my long rants and even more so if I offended anyone, certainly not my intention. I know we're all in similar situations, and that we must be patient. best of luck to all.

No, I don't think I'm the only one in this situation - nor did I say or imply that I was. Didn't mean to offend you, or come across like our case is special. Just giving you guys the specifics of our situation - thank you for the response, sans the attitude. And it's fantastic that everyone here is an expert on these topics, but when this is all happening in the beginning, and you're getting different advice from lawyers, different advice from CIC reps, and finding even different advice online, it's not easy to decide whether or not to appy inland out outland. Not only that, but a very close friend of mine had gone through the EXACT same situation I was in, only she was about a year ahead of me. She applied inland, her husband got his multiple VISA, they visited Mexico regularly, etc etc. and never had a problem. Seeing this first hand, and on the advice of our lawyer (whether she was right or not is now irrelevant), we applied inland. Pretty easy for you to look at my situation and say 'in hindsight, this is what you should have done'.

She does speak English quite well, but of course your 2nd or 3rd language will never be equivalent to a native speaker. I'm sure you can understand that your husband likely has a better grasp of English than you do (no offense intended, as your English is excellent - and assuming he was born and raised in an English-speaking environment). Given a sticky situation like dealing with a border agent, I think I'm better equipped to handle the situation than her.

Anyways, it's too late now. Retrospect is great and hindsight is always 20/20, but now you know what my situation is. The question that I posed, was, now that she's already out of the Country, is the general consensus that's it better to come back immediately, or stick to our plan (me going to see her in July, and us coming back together).

Of course, if I get a letter saying she needs an interview, then she's going to have to come back. If not, we'll get AIP and OWP, and be asked for medical and police checks.

Let's assume for the sake of my example that she does not need an interview. If she gets the AIP, and she's outside of the country, then I would think she should have no problems returning? Or will she still be subject to pissy border guards ruining our party?
i think the requirement for applying for in-land sponsorship cases is that you have to be inside the country, otherwise everyone else will be doing what you are doing, apply then leave the country. however, i've never read on the government website or the forum here what they will do if you apply then leave Canada. but if your wife has a visa to come back to canada, i don't know if customs and CIC can see the PR application when she comes back. and if she doesn't have a visa to come back, then she can't go to the landing interview in Canada. even if she apply for a visa, they will ask her if she has applied for PR etc. A lot of the applicants on this forum dare not to leave Canada after they submit the application unless emergency. so I think you need someone with the exact same experience to share with you. hopefully there is one.

tzing

Jan 23, 2012
Markm said:
This is probably the most frustrating aspect of it all. They put processes in place to deter criminals from entering, but by doing so make it even harder for those with legitimate relationships to have a decent quality of life, at least for the first year (or longer in many cases). For a country that was built from the ground up on immigration, it's surprising.
i think comparing to the 380,000 people worldwide applying to immigrate as skilled workers before 2008, we are all pretty lucky here. they have been waiting for 4-5 years, but was dismissed just like that. all application returned and no explanation. Canada's immigration policy is going down. and policy for parents and grandparents is even worse. i wonder how canadians whose family are affected by those policies would vote in 4 years, but they probably will forget in 4 years. not mentioning the family sponsorship cases. if you married an American, you can get green card in 3 months....3 months you don't even get a file number in Canada

Markm

Jun 1, 2012
tzing said:
i think the requirement for applying for in-land sponsorship cases is that you have to be inside the country, otherwise everyone else will be doing what you are doing, apply then leave the country. however, i've never read on the government website or the forum here what they will do if you apply then leave Canada. but if your wife has a visa to come back to canada, i don't know if customs and CIC can see the PR application when she comes back. and if she doesn't have a visa to come back, then she can't go to the landing interview in Canada. even if she apply for a visa, they will ask her if she has applied for PR etc. A lot of the applicants on this forum dare not to leave Canada after they submit the application unless emergency. so I think you need someone with the exact same experience to share with you. hopefully there is one.
That's exactly my concern - I have never heard any of this information before today. Lawyers, CIC themselves, friends, websites - the only time I've heard not to leave the country or they'll abandon the app, is today. My lawyer even encouraged her to apply for the multiple entrance VISA so that she could do this! Too much information going in all sorts of directions. I doubt they can see the application - as I mentioned, my wife has a multiple-entrance VISA good for 5 years, and we've been on about 5 trips outside of Canada. She also has a US VISA good for 10 years, so we regularly drive down to Washington- NEVER an issue. When we applied for this VISA, CIC asked why - and we explicitly told them, because we have an inland application for sponsorship, and my wife wants to visit Mexico while we wait. They said okay, here's your VISA - now I'm hearing here that this is a bad idea? Why would they even give her the multiple entrance VISA, if we had an inland application already filed, and we said 'she wants to leave the country a bunch of times'. Doesn't seem to make sense. Also, why is that every time we've re-entered Canada from abroad, they ask what our situation is, and we explain it in the same detail I'm explaining here. Then they stamp her passport and say welcome back? But someone just told me that if any border agent finds out about our situation, they'll deny her entry. But, my experience says otherwise.

Also, at LEAST 5 agents from CIC have said the ONLY time there's an issue, is if they don't let her back in the country. Sure, that's a possibility, but considering our squeeky-clean record, and multiple encounters with CBSA re-entering, I just don't know if it's as risky as I'm being led to believe. I think a lot of misinformation has somehow spread, and maybe people's individual experiences are being regarded as the 'rules'. I guess every case really is different, as much as we all like to think we're in the same boat.

finebaby

Dec 19, 2011
Hello everyone
My husband and i just got our letters in the mail...confirming AIP, and asking me to apply 4 owp. please how do i go about my health card ? someone shld help out pls... what and what do i need? i know i have bn in this forum for long , giving advice and reading up but when it is happening to u, it just seem u are clueless about everything...(i guess its over excitement). please some one should send me d online link for open work permit....i cant go back on the forum looking for where its posted.
To all the people still waiting, Keep on keeping on! it will soon happen 4 all u.....

Markm

Jun 1, 2012
tzing said:
i think comparing to the 380,000 people worldwide applying to immigrate as skilled workers before 2008, we are all pretty lucky here. they have been waiting for 4-5 years, but was dismissed just like that. all application returned and no explanation. Canada's immigration policy is going down. and policy for parents and grandparents is even worse. i wonder how canadians whose family are affected by those policies would vote in 4 years, but they probably will forget in 4 years. not mentioning the family sponsorship cases. if you married an American, you can get green card in 3 months....3 months you don't even get a file number in Canada
I did not know about this, that's awful - yes, we definitely have it lucky compared to this group. I guess we just take certain things for granted here!

lilizinha

Star Member
May 15, 2012
On cic website

Frequently asked questions: Sponsoring your family

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Inside Canada
•average of 12 to 18 months to process routine applications
•no right of appeal
•you are advised to stay in Canada while your application is being processed (If you leave Canada and cannot re-enter, the application will be abandoned)
•you can send an application for an open work permit with the sponsorship application (the permit will be issued as soon as you are eligible for it)

Applying for permanent residence from within Canada: Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (Guide)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#5289E2

Before you apply
Important information

Things to remember
•Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.

The person being sponsored has no guarantee that he or she will be permitted to return or re‑enter Canada if he or she leaves before permanent residence is approved. This is especially true if a Temporary Resident Visa is required to enter Canada.

xxpazaway

Aug 15, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 5, 2011
AOR Received.
October 11, 2011
Med's Request
February 26, 2014
Med's Done....
September 29, 2011
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
BestPlace said:
Hi, Perk and Everybody

Just an updated information from me,

Application received: July 13 2011
Start Process: July 26 2011
AIP: May 28 2012
DM: May 28 2012
Received OWP: June 1 2012
Received 2 letters for sponsor & PR applicant: June 4 2012
Not Received Landing appointment letter dated on May 30 2012 but I received a call from immigration officer said that my landing appointment on June 11 2012
Landed: June 11 2012

So I landed yesterday morning and everythings just simple, just confirm your name, address, no crime record then welcome to Canada and now you are Permanent Resident of Canada, Congratulation!
Congratulation!