+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland and other troubles

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We will be married 5 years come this december and I've spend almost 3 years trying to just get a police check - fingerprints are denied every time, and it takes months just to hear back about it.

We're sick of being apart (can you blame us?) and so last year we tried to go the inland route. I had a bad scare at the border because I said I was staying for 3 months and they didn't like that, even though it's perfectly legal. I get put through the ringer if I say that I'm going to stay for more than 30 days, even, so I just stopped trying and moved back home while we tried doing this the normal way, going back to seeing each other for a few weeks a year. It's killing us.

My question is, how do I go about doing this?? I'm reading about people who live in canada and apply inland without much trouble. What are they doing that I'm not? Should I not even attempt to cross the border while applying, even if it means being there for more than 6 months? Should I take the train down to seattle every couple of weeks to flagpole? And what's this about approval in principle? A neighbor who has some experience with sponsoring refugees told me it might help us.

UGH just very frustrated and sometimes I feel like I'm going to be in limbo forever.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hi,
First off, inland or outland, you will need the police certificate (FBI). So you might want to try to get that sorted out first.

If you apply inland, you shouldn't leave Canada. If you apply, you can be given an Open Work Permit (OWP) that will allow you to remain in Canada until your case is decided. In fact, if you leave the country, they do have the option to revoke your application based on it being abandoned. Some say they have been able to leave the country -- I was told by an immigration lawyer that it would remain totally up to the immigration officer at the point of entry to decide if you had abandoned the application you started or not.

As a US citizen, the fastest way to get a PR is to apply outland. There are people on the forum reporting PR's in as little as a few months. You can travel to Canada, and if you are here as a 'visitor', you can apply to extend your stay. Remember, if the CBSA does not give you a date that you have to leave by, you are permitted to remain for 6 months. You can apply before that time is up (about a month before) to extend your stay as a visitor.

Approval in principal (AIP) is a stage of the PR process, where the officers working the case feel that the sponsor and the principal applicant meet all the eligibility requirements. They will issue a letter that states the same. This will allow the applicant to apply for services such as health care.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You could plan a trip of about a month. Say you want to visit for a month; have proof of ties to the USA; have a return ticket for a specific date (if traveling by air). Then if you are let in, you can apply to extend whatever time they give you.

You could also send in your outland application once you get your FBI check. Americans who have sent in their PR application are usually let in to visit their spouse. You have to be clear you are just visiting. It is still good to bring proof of ties to the USA, have a return ticket, and have proof of the PR application. Many people on this forum have done this, even some who had previously been denied entry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SnL said:
We're sick of being apart (can you blame us?) and so last year we tried to go the inland route.
As an American, you should most definitely be applying OUTLAND.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
i agree... apply outland. you'll be approved in less than 6 months probably. as the other poster mentioned, you have to look, sound and act like a visitor when you cross the border. it is better to have the application submitted or at least proof you are working on it when crossing. having ties to the us is super helpful (proof of housing or employment - remote employment for a us company is acceptable), and of course if you are flying, a return ticket not too far out. once in, you can apply to extend your stay as a visitor and get an extension to say for your process. don't offer up more information than what is asked for. when asked for the purpose of your trip, it's ok to say "i am visiting my husband. i am working on (have submitted) my pr application.". this shows them you know the rules and you understand you can't live in canada until approved as pr. they want to know you know you are only a visitor until then. Accept you may be pulled into secondary, and be prepared.

as for the fingerprints, CIC is accepting reports from channelers now, so i would recommend you checking that out and getting your record done that way. they should be able to help you find a technician that can do the prints so they are accepted and there's really no reason at this point to NOT use a channeler if you are having that much trouble going direct to the FBI. The cost is minimal.

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
i agree... apply outland. you'll be approved in less than 6 months probably. as the other poster mentioned, you have to look, sound and act like a visitor when you cross the border. it is better to have the application submitted or at least proof you are working on it when crossing. having ties to the us is super helpful (proof of housing or employment - remote employment for a us company is acceptable), and of course if you are flying, a return ticket not too far out. once in, you can apply to extend your stay as a visitor and get an extension to say for your process. don't offer up more information than what is asked for. when asked for the purpose of your trip, it's ok to say "i am visiting my husband. i am working on (have submitted) my pr application.". this shows them you know the rules and you understand you can't live in canada until approved as pr. they want to know you know you are only a visitor until then. Accept you may be pulled into secondary, and be prepared.
Yeah, been there done that. I'm over it... mostly. Still a huge, demoralizing pain in the butt when it happens. But I learned my lesson.

as for the fingerprints, CIC is accepting reports from channelers now, so i would recommend you checking that out and getting your record done that way. they should be able to help you find a technician that can do the prints so they are accepted and there's really no reason at this point to NOT use a channeler if you are having that much trouble going direct to the FBI. The cost is minimal.
Damn, really? That is going to save me a LOT of trouble. I was mentally prepping for what I hear are loooong waits to have a name check done, but if I can use a channeler... that might shave a year off the process for us. Wow, that is good news. Thank you!

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A question about channelers...

Many of them only provide digital copies of police certs, but the CIC wants "originals". I'm assuming a printed digital copy is not allowed? I don't need an apostille, do I? Could have sworn that I didn't.

It seems very difficult to find a channeler that 1. will do livescanned prints 2. will even process personal consumer requests, and 3. is in my area! I have NO idea how to go through a channeler with electronic prints taken from ANOTHER third party. (The company I was going to use, Fieldprint, has zero customre service, and their website won't even work well enough to let me make an appointment. Seemed they've earned their D- BBB rating. FWIW.)

PS - I'm US to Can.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SnL said:
A question about channelers...

Many of them only provide digital copies of police certs, but the CIC wants "originals". I'm assuming a printed digital copy is not allowed? I don't need an apostille, do I? Could have sworn that I didn't.

It seems very difficult to find a channeler that 1. will do livescanned prints 2. will even process personal consumer requests, and 3. is in my area! I have NO idea how to go through a channeler with electronic prints taken from ANOTHER third party. (The company I was going to use, Fieldprint, has zero customre service, and their website won't even work well enough to let me make an appointment. Seemed they've earned their D- BBB rating. FWIW.)

PS - I'm US to Can.
You do not need an apostille.

Here's a list of approved Channelers. Try calling a few of them to inquire about their service and what their requirements are.
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/list-of-fbi-approved-channelers-for-departmental-order-submissions

I suspect that you will need to have your prints printed onto the FBI FD-258 card and then sent to the Channeler, but...maybe you'll find one that can/will accept your scanned prints.

Good luck!

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is the information provided in this thread still relevant?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fbi-approved-channeler-experience-in-2015-t269323.45.html

Namely that post at the top?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't overthink an already mind numbing process. ;)

As long as you use one of the approved Channelers listed on the FBI website, CIC will accept whatever letter they provide to you.

Conversely, if you opt to use the FBI directly...CIC will accept the plain white paper (with zero security features) that the FBI has been issuing for well over a year now. No idea why they made that change, but...CIC does accept them. Some people include the original envelope that was sent from the FBI as proof that it was issued by them.

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to keep bugging, but... does it have to be mailed? Can I print it out from home if they'll take plain white paper? That means the difference between going to a channeler half an hour away versus 3 hours. ???

Oy vey researching all this feels like having a second job...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SnL said:
Sorry to keep bugging, but... does it have to be mailed? Can I print it out from home if they'll take plain white paper? That means the difference between going to a channeler half an hour away versus 3 hours. ???

you have to submit the copy the channeler gives to you, i don't think you can just print out a copy and submit it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SnL said:

Mail your fingerprint card, along with the appropriate forms from the Channeler that you choose...to the Channeler. They will mail you the IHSR letter, which you then forward to CIC.

It's perfectly fine for you to `peek' at the letter before forwarding it to CIC. ;)

SnL

Aug 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That brings be back to my original problem... I've submitted 7 or 8 sets of card prints and all of them have been denied. I need to do livescan at this point or my only other option is a name check, which well add another 6+ months into my wait time. :(

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
SnL said:
That brings be back to my original problem... I've submitted 7 or 8 sets of card prints and all of them have been denied. I need to do this electronically at this point or my only other option is a name check. :(
you've submitted them to the FBI. you haven't gone through a channeler yet. why don't you start the process with the channeler and hope for the best. they will be able to advise you the best way to get fingerprints approved.