+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Initial in Name

Ammu_Jino

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
My husband's name includes an initial in the form of a single letter.His name is 'JINO.G'.
Since passport demands expanded names, his name in the passport is JINO GEORGE.Except for passport and marriage certificate, in all other documents including academics, his name is 'JINO.G'.

In the entire process for migration, starting from IELTS and WES, should we use the expanded name(JINO GEORGE) or the normal one(JINO.G)? .

Note : For IELTS application, identity document is passport.If we apply with name as 'JINO.G' and produce the passport which has the expanded name, will it cause any issue?

explorerCA

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
You should use the name that is on your passport. When you apply, upload a "letter of explanation" simply saying that JINO GEORGE and Jino G are one and the same. Let them know that even though your name is displayed as ____ in academic documents, ___ in passport, they are all the same.

I had name discrepancies on my academic documents, bank statements and passport too and simply used my passport name for everything. IELTS demands that your name matches your ID or they won't even let you write the exam.

Ammu_Jino

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
You should use the name that is on your passport. When you apply, upload a "letter of explanation" simply saying that JINO GEORGE and Jino G are one and the same. Let them know that even though your name is displayed as ____ in academic documents, ___ in passport, they are all the same.

I had name discrepancies on my academic documents, bank statements and passport too and simply used my passport name for everything. IELTS demands that your name matches your ID or they won't even let you write the exam.
Thank you for your response.
While creating WES profile, in the instructions, it was mentioned that "provide your name as it appears on the certificate/credential". That was the reason why we created with JINO.G as the name. Is it ok to use the name on passport(JINO GEORGE) even though such an instruction is provided?.

In your case, did you have a discrepancy in your academic certificate and the name you used for WES profile creation?

We have not completed WES application and hence your suggestions at this point will be of great help.

explorerCA

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you for your response.
While creating WES profile, in the instructions, it was mentioned that "provide your name as it appears on the certificate/credential". That was the reason why we created with JINO.G as the name. Is it ok to use the name on passport(JINO GEORGE) even though such an instruction is provided?.

In your case, did you have a discrepancy in your academic certificate and the name you used for WES profile creation?

We have not completed WES application and hence your suggestions at this point will be of great help.
I just took a look again so sorry about the above message. In all my academic certificates I have a first and a last name (surname). In my passport, I only have a given name but no surname. For WES I used the name on my certificates. I used the name on my passport for my CIC profile; IELTS, etc.

thatsnandu

Star Member
Feb 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ammu,

I do understand this situation as I am also from Kerala (I am guessing this from your names, sorry if I am wrong). Me and my wife both had our initials in certificates but we used the names in passport for ECA. Now, though we have not recieved the ECA yet and not applied for the EE profile, I am pretty sure it should not be a problem and also you can always explain in the LOE if needed.

Regards

Nandu

Last edited:

Ammu_Jino

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Hi Ammu,

I do understand this situation as I am also from Kerala (I am guessing this from your names, sorry if I am wrong). Me and my wife both had our initials in certificates but we used the names in passport for ECA. Now, though we have not recieved the ECA yet and not applied for the EE profile, I am pretty sure it should not be a problem and also you can always explain in the LOE if needed.

Regards

Nandu
Hi Nandu,

Thanks for your response. So you mean that even though you had initials in your real name, you used the expanded name for all process related to canada migration?
Did you take your IELTS exam with the name in passport?

thatsnandu

Star Member
Feb 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Nandu,

Thanks for your response. So you mean that even though you had initials in your real name, you used the expanded name for all process related to canada migration?
Did you take your IELTS exam with the name in passport?

Actually, Both me and my wife’s Indian Certificates have initials and her UK degree and my New Zealand degree has the full name with expansion. Also for IELTS you have to go with your name as per passport as it is your identification document. Right now our ECA is almost in its final stage and they have not asked us about any discripencies in names. So I am guessing it should be all good. I suggest you can go ahead with the name in the passport for all Immigration purpose and the initials in your certificates can always be explained.

Regards

Nandu

Ammu_Jino

Star Member
Sep 3, 2018
Hi @Ammu_Jino, I'm also hailing from Kerala. Did you submit an LOE explaining the situation? If so, could you share the letter template with me?
Hi,
Though it wasn't much required, i submitted this information in the LOE. I unfortunately do not have the document handy with me. However, it was just a 2 line sentence that we wrote stating that the one on passport is the expanded form of our original name. And we used the expanded name similar to the passport for all immigration related needs. It was only in the educational certificates that it was different, where we had the short names. Hope this helps.

Skmpm

Apr 1, 2021
@Ammu_Jino

Hi Ammu,

I am also facing the same problem of Initial as you mentioned. While applying express entry application, have you submitted any affidavit from lawyer or just explained in the LOE..

I am also from Kerala, and as a common practice I too have an initial without expansion in most of the documents and with expansion in passport..