+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information about bridging open work permit

smurfs

May 7, 2021
Hi,

I am currently completing my course. This is a two semester course, my second semester will be starting 11th of May 2021 which is estimated to be completed by 1st week of August 2021.

My spouse and I received an invitation to apply for permanent residency in Jan 2021 wherein my spouse is the primary applicant. I have submitted my papers and paid for the PR application fees on April 6th 2021 and I am currently waiting for a decision from IRCC on my permanent residency application.

My spouse is here with me in Toronto as a dependent on my study visa. His visa expires on the 30th of November 2021. If he does not hear back from IRCC about the PR application before the 30th of November 2021 he is eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit in order to extend our stay in the country and continue working.

My questions are -

1. As my course ends in August 2021, am I eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit (along with my spouse as I am the secondary applicant in this PR application) or do I need to apply for a PGWP in order to start working in August itself?

2. Is it correct that I can't work for any employer till I submit these visa extensions after I graduate in August?

It would be really helpful if some one could answer my questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ask_Arsh

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2018
LANDED..........
12-06-2018
1. A PGWP makes more sense in your case if your course is eh legible for a PGWP.

2. Once you graduate (means you have the completion letter from your institution) you must stop working until you apply for a PGWP. Once you have submitted application, you are considered to be in implied status and are open to work full time hours for any employer