+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inform IRCC about marriage with a PR holder inside canada

aditi21biswas

Feb 7, 2023
My PR file is in processing (inland applicant). My question is if I want to get married (in Canada) to my fiancee who is a permanent resident, then do I need to wait until we get our marriage certificate (as after the ceremony, it takes three months to get the marriage certificate)? Or I can inform IRCC just after the marriage ceremony? Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My PR file is in processing (inland applicant). My question is if I want to get married (in Canada) to my fiancee who is a permanent resident, then do I need to wait until we get our marriage certificate (as after the ceremony, it takes three months to get the marriage certificate)? Or I can inform IRCC just after the marriage ceremony? Thank you.
There's no way to inform beforehand and no reason to.

When you say an inland file, what type of PR app have you filed? If it's a spousal sponsorship (because you were common law, I assume), you may want to send more info earlier - eg the record of wedding you get after the ceremony, a couple pictures (couple + a few guests /eg parents), and the wedding certificate later when you get it.

For other apps, for the most part, it won't affect the processing since your spouse is already a PR. Just make sure to explain that spouse is NOT applying for PR status/not part of your app/does not affect your app. Even the marriage certificate not strictly required but good to include a copy. Unlike a spousal app, no need to send anything util you get the wedding cert.

aditi21biswas

Feb 7, 2023
There's no way to inform beforehand and no reason to.

When you say an inland file, what type of PR app have you filed? If it's a spousal sponsorship (because you were common law, I assume), you may want to send more info earlier - eg the record of wedding you get after the ceremony, a couple pictures (couple + a few guests /eg parents), and the wedding certificate later when you get it.

For other apps, for the most part, it won't affect the processing since your spouse is already a PR. Just make sure to explain that spouse is NOT applying for PR status/not part of your app/does not affect your app. Even the marriage certificate not strictly required but good to include a copy. Unlike a spousal app, no need to send anything util you get the wedding cert.
Thank you for your response.
My PR application is under Ontario PNP (masters Graduate stream). No, we were/are not in common in-law.

So from my understanding from your reply, I assume I can raise a web form to inform IRCC about my updated marital status after the wedding ceremony.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So from my understanding from your reply, I assume I can raise a web form to inform IRCC about my updated marital status after the wedding ceremony.
Yes, although in your case you could even just wait until you get the marriage certificate. You may as well anticipate that they may ask you to update the family information / personal information form.

Important though: do NOT update the IMM0008 to add your spouse. That is for applicants to become PRs. A PR should not apply to become a PR. This is why I suggest including a letter of explanation (and possibly copy of spouse's PR card), so that they understand your spouse does NOT need to be checked for eligiiblity.

Reactions: YVR123

aditi21biswas

Feb 7, 2023
Yes, although in your case you could even just wait until you get the marriage certificate. You may as well anticipate that they may ask you to update the family information / personal information form.

Important though: do NOT update the IMM0008 to add your spouse. That is for applicants to become PRs. A PR should not apply to become a PR. This is why I suggest including a letter of explanation (and possibly copy of spouse's PR card), so that they understand your spouse does NOT need to be checked for eligiiblity.
Understood.
Thank you for the detail information.

Reactions: armoured