Indian Passport with validity less than 6 months

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I travelled through ANA and Air Canada from Mumbai to Toronto via Tokyo and had no issues with my passport. No one batted an eye about the passport validity not even the Indian immigration officials
You had PR or TRV?

Victor02

Star Member
Nov 3, 2019
Hi @Victor02, Can you please update here once your travel back to Canada? I'm in the same boat traveling in May and curious to know how it went for you.
All went fine (except manual checkin at IGA because of “Server Down” lol). Coming back on the topic - No one asked me anything about the validity of my son’s passport. My flight was with United Ailines.

SN54

Apr 25, 2023
We have visit visa. Planning to travel in july but my sons passport in august will be less than 6months criteria. Can we travel along with old stamped and new unstamped passport?
This is the first time we will be travelling to canada.
Should we inform ircc and get the new passport updated ?
Can we land in canada then get the renewal done?

Krista_J

Jul 26, 2020
I did not inform them. I don't believe there's a need to do that.
Hello Kevin,
I am reading your thread regarding passport validity and travel.
My parents' Canadian Visitor Visa and Indian passport will expire in December-2024.
Are they allowed to go back to India by September-2024 (which will be 3-4 months before passports expire). They are comming in Apri-2024.

Second option:
If they get their passport renewed in India and come here, will the old passport visa is still valid or I have to apply again before their travel to Canada?

Please please reply if you read this thread.

Reactions: luckysinghlucky
Feb 22, 2019
Hello Kevin,
I am reading your thread regarding passport validity and travel.
My parents' Canadian Visitor Visa and Indian passport will expire in December-2024.
Are they allowed to go back to India by September-2024 (which will be 3-4 months before passports expire). They are comming in Apri-2024.

Second option:
If they get their passport renewed in India and come here, will the old passport visa is still valid or I have to apply again before their travel to Canada?

Please please reply if you read this thread.
Hello Krista, did you find an answer? my scenario is exact same.

I am trying to bring my parents to Canada for a Visit this summer. They do have Visitor visa.
I am planning to bring them in April through September. Their passport and visa has expiry date of 31 Dec 2024.
One of the travel agent told me that passport should have minimum 6 months validity before their return flight. is this true?
I thought the 6 month rules was only applied on the time of arrival date/ first entry of port time not at the departure date.

Any experience or knowledge on this subject? Please help

Krista_J

Jul 26, 2020
I talked to many individuals who had this situation, they all said incoming to Canada has to have at-least 6 months validity in passport.
Returning back to home country even single day is enough.

Feb 22, 2019
I talked to many individuals who had this situation, they all said incoming to Canada has to have at-least 6 months validity in passport.
Returning back to home country even single day is enough.
That 100% make sense but also I came across this page of home affair Indian website, which says otherwise but I can say it is definitely very confusing and probably depending on the immigration officer in India, more than immigration officer in Canada, Point # 9. https://www.mea.gov.in/dos-and-donts-for-foreign-travel.htm

Krista_J

Jul 26, 2020
I have called to BLS as well, they said should be good as long as passport valid before going back to home country. Try to call them and see what they says

Feb 22, 2019
The BLS Edmonton and Vancouver people told me it was fine to leave Canada if the passport didn't have a validity of minimum 6 months, but they couldn't tell me if it was published on their website or any government website

Krista_J

Jul 26, 2020
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/passport-faqs/
scroll to very bottom of questions:

Is there a requirement of any minimum validity of passport to travel to India?

No. As long as the passport has not expired, you can travel to India.

Is there a requirement of any minimum validity of passport to travel out of India?

Yes, other countries usually require some minimum validity of passport before allowing you to travel to them. Please confirm this requirement from the airline you are travelling with.

Feb 22, 2019
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/passport-faqs/
scroll to very bottom of questions:

Is there a requirement of any minimum validity of passport to travel to India?

No. As long as the passport has not expired, you can travel to India.

Is there a requirement of any minimum validity of passport to travel out of India?

Yes, other countries usually require some minimum validity of passport before allowing you to travel to them. Please confirm this requirement from the airline you are travelling with.
Thank you. That is great. Glad you found it. I will save this web page.

Reactions: calgary17