+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport with validity less than 6 months

hasleen kaur

Apr 29, 2019
There is no minimum passport validity requirement. You will be fine to travel.
My Copr has expired, i am awaiting extension from IRCC. However, my passport is expiring in Feb 2021. We plan to travel around end of November or december first week as these are the timelines we have applied to IRCC for. Now with my passport expiring in 3 months, will I have issues travelling to Canada. Also, would i face any issues with airlines or transiting country?

katrix

Aug 4, 2017
My Copr has expired, i am awaiting extension from IRCC. However, my passport is expiring in Feb 2021. We plan to travel around end of November or december first week as these are the timelines we have applied to IRCC for. Now with my passport expiring in 3 months, will I have issues travelling to Canada. Also, would i face any issues with airlines or transiting country?
Hi Hasleen, did you have problems at your transiting country with 3 months of passport validity?

harmit214@gmail.com

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if is covered before but I wanted your help with one thing.

I've Indian Passport and am a Canadian PR holder. My passport is expiring in June 2022.

I'm traveling to India last week of February 2022.

My questions were:-

1. My passport won't be expired yet when i return back mid March so will I get any trouble coming back to Canada with just a few months of passport expiry date left?

2. If i renew my passport in India do I have to advise Canada Immigration about it or is my old Passport linked to current PR?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I've Indian Passport and am a Canadian PR holder. My passport is expiring in June 2022.

1. My passport won't be expired yet when i return back mid March so will I get any trouble coming back to Canada with just a few months of passport expiry date left?

2. If i renew my passport in India do I have to advise Canada Immigration about it or is my old Passport linked to current PR?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I also have same question.

azboot

Sep 17, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi
We're you able to travel without any issues?

harmit214@gmail.com

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hi
We're you able to travel without any issues?

Hi @azboot,

I read that Air India is causing issues so I avoided that airline. I travelled with British Airways and return was KLM thanks to United Airlines canceling my flight leaving me hanging to pay double the fare for another airlines last minute.

I did not have issues at all with airlines or at any immigration / customs.

trushjit

May 26, 2019
Hello
I have Canadian PR with Indian Passport expiring in 5 months.
currently I am in India and I am returning on September 02.
would there be any issue to come back to Canada from India with Indian passport expiring in 5 months?

Reshma Asrani

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
Hi,
I have a Canadian PR with valid Indian passport which is expiring in 6 months. Due to some family reason I have to travel to India & come back in 4-5 weeks.

Someone told me there is rule that I should have passport with at least 6 month validity when travel to India or out of India.
To verify that I read online forum & most of the people saying, with Indian passport going to India there is NO validity requirement, even with 1 day validity Indian citizen can travel to India.
Also when coming back to Canada there should NOT be any issue as i have Canadian PR, even I can travel with Indian passport valid for 1 day.

Indian passport with 6 months validity requirement is only applicable if someone travelling out of India on Visitor visa, with Canadian PR there is NO problem.

Now if someone who had similar circumstances & traveled to India & come back to Canada, please share their experience. Any issue raised airlines or official at Indian or Canadian airport?

Thanks for your help!!
Hello, I am traveling in Jan coming back in Feb , and my passport expires in June. It looks like I am in similar situation as yours, so wanted to check how was your experience? As far as I understood as well, because I am in Indian Citizen travelling to India, India should not have obligation of 6 month passport validity. I was more concerned on if I can come back to Canada and it looks like it does not apply for PR holders. Even for visitor visa it says its strongly recommended to have 6 month validity but Canada does not enforce it, if it is less than 6 month they will still allow you to enter but can stay less than 6 month until the passport expires. Appreciate how did your experience go, and what airlines you travelled with, if they created any trouble for you to board the flight to Canada or any problem in immigration once you landed in Canada?

Victor02

Star Member
Nov 3, 2019
Hello, I am traveling in Jan coming back in Feb , and my passport expires in June. It looks like I am in similar situation as yours, so wanted to check how was your experience? As far as I understood as well, because I am in Indian Citizen travelling to India, India should not have obligation of 6 month passport validity. I was more concerned on if I can come back to Canada and it looks like it does not apply for PR holders. Even for visitor visa it says its strongly recommended to have 6 month validity but Canada does not enforce it, if it is less than 6 month they will still allow you to enter but can stay less than 6 month until the passport expires. Appreciate how did your experience go, and what airlines you travelled with, if they created any trouble for you to board the flight to Canada or any problem in immigration once you landed in Canada?
Can you share your experience please? My flight is with United airlines and my son's Passport is going to expire in Aug'23 (less than 6 month).

Reshma Asrani

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
Can you share your experience please? My flight is with United airlines and my son's Passport is going to expire in Aug'23 (less than 6 month).
I ended up renewing my Indian passport while I was in Canada just to be on safe side. I did a walk-in at BLS centre (as getting appointment takes a while) and I believe I received my new passport in less than a month.

Reactions: Victor02

anmolnagpal92

Aug 27, 2016
I'm in the same situation,
Canadian PR
Want to travel to india with indian passport with validity 5 months
Will there be any issue that i will face?
Dont have enough time to renew the passport.
Anyone?

Victor02

Star Member
Nov 3, 2019
I'm in the same situation,
Canadian PR
Want to travel to india with indian passport with validity 5 months
Will there be any issue that i will face?
Dont have enough time to renew the passport.
Anyone?
From Canada to India: No issue.
From India to Canada: as somebody already mentioned in the thread that it won’t have any issue with PR holders. 6 months rule comes in the situation with Visitor Visa (that seems logical to me that’s why I am referring it otherwise I really don’t know and I’ll be travelling back to Canada in April)

vinay9023

May 31, 2019
From Canada to India: No issue.
From India to Canada: as somebody already mentioned in the thread that it won’t have any issue with PR holders. 6 months rule comes in the situation with Visitor Visa (that seems logical to me that’s why I am referring it otherwise I really don’t know and I’ll be travelling back to Canada in April)
Hi @Victor02, Can you please update here once your travel back to Canada? I'm in the same boat traveling in May and curious to know how it went for you.

vinay9023

May 31, 2019
I travelled through ANA and Air Canada from Mumbai to Toronto via Tokyo and had no issues with my passport. No one batted an eye about the passport validity not even the Indian immigration officials