+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport with validity less than 6 months

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
Hello Members, I have a question about passport validity. My parents got their immigrant visa stamped on 21-August-2018 at NDVO. Their passport expiry is 28-May-2019 and the visa is also valid until the same date. They are planning to come to Canada around end of March 2019. So when they fly to Canada, their passports will be valid only for two months. My plan is to get it renewed in Toronto after they land, however I have heard that the requirement is that the passport should be valid for minimum 6 months when you exit from India. Is that true? Would it cause any problems if they travel on the existing passport?
Canada isn’t a problem, India is. They most probably won’t allow them to leave unless passport is valid for 6 months. Sometimes you get away with it, most times you dont!

kevin.pete

Star Member
Sep 9, 2017
Canada isn’t a problem, India is. They most probably won’t allow them to leave unless passport is valid for 6 months. Sometimes you get away with it, most times you dont!
Thanks. So if I renew their passports in India, is it required to send new passports for restamping of visas and reissue of COPR papers or they can travel on the same visa and COPR papers on the old passport?

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
Thanks. So if I renew their passports in India, is it required to send new passports for restamping of visas and reissue of COPR papers or they can travel on the same visa and COPR papers on the old passport?
You just have to get a new passport that's it. Rest of the documents with old passport is still valid. Most of the people staple old passport with the new one so that all the docs are together.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin.pete

SandhyaMoh

Jan 21, 2019
Thanks! I think I will take that route
Hi there, I have the same situation with my old passport being stamped with IM1 Visa and I will be travelling in June 2019 to Canada with passport expiring in March 2020. Can you please confirm if making a new passport and having the stamp on the old one works fine and there are no issues in the Delhi airport and while landing in Canada?

Thanks for the help on this in advance.

kevin.pete

Star Member
Sep 9, 2017
Hi there, I have the same situation with my old passport being stamped with IM1 Visa and I will be travelling in June 2019 to Canada with passport expiring in March 2020. Can you please confirm if making a new passport and having the stamp on the old one works fine and there are no issues in the Delhi airport and while landing in Canada?

Thanks for the help on this in advance.
Hi, my parents haven't traveled yet so cannot say. They will be coming here in April. If you can check back with me by end of April I will have an answer for sure. Anyways in your case I do not see an issue since your passport is valid for more than 6 months when you will start your travel.

sa07282009

Jan 15, 2012
Hi, my parents haven't traveled yet so cannot say. They will be coming here in April. If you can check back with me by end of April I will have an answer for sure. Anyways in your case I do not see an issue since your passport is valid for more than 6 months when you will start your travel.
I am also in same situation. My parents are travelling (Lansing) on June 11 and passport going to expire Aug last. I am not sure if to apply for new passport or not. Can you tell if your parents did landed and they did not gave any issue?

kevin.pete

Star Member
Sep 9, 2017
I am also in same situation. My parents are travelling (Lansing) on June 11 and passport going to expire Aug last. I am not sure if to apply for new passport or not. Can you tell if your parents did landed and they did not gave any issue?
Hi, my parents got their new passports and kept their visas on the same old passport and there was no issue. Let me know if you need any further info.

sa07282009

Jan 15, 2012
Hi, my parents got their new passports and kept their visas on the same old passport and there was no issue. Let me know if you need any further info.
Thanks this help. One more query, did you notify to CIC about new passport detail or that’s not required?

Thanks.

Arsh3599

Feb 14, 2020
Hi there
So the thing is that i am planning to travel to india from canada in feb and coming back in the first week of march . My flight is ethopian airways and it has a layover on ethopia for 8 hours. So the thing is that i am student in canada and my visa and study permit is expiring in august so can go to india and come back without any problem??

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi All,
My husband and I have Canada PR issued this year and expiring in 2025. His passport is expiring in May 2021 and mine is expiring in 2022. We are based out of USA now and may or may not travel to India given the COVID conditions. But we are planning to move to Canada by next yr and apply for a new passport from Canada or if there is some unseen circumstances then we will apply for new passport from USA.
1) the approved Canada PR is associated with the current passport number (travel document). So once we apply for new Passport should we inform ircc about the change and get a PR to the new passport?
2) can Anyone who has done this process from canada or USA share their insights?
Husband is on H1b and I am on H4.
thanks in advance:)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi All,
My husband and I have Canada PR issued this year and expiring in 2025. His passport is expiring in May 2021 and mine is expiring in 2022. We are based out of USA now and may or may not travel to India given the COVID conditions. But we are planning to move to Canada by next yr and apply for a new passport from Canada or if there is some unseen circumstances then we will apply for new passport from USA.
1) the approved Canada PR is associated with the current passport number (travel document). So once we apply for new Passport should we inform ircc about the change and get a PR to the new passport?
2) can Anyone who has done this process from canada or USA share their insights?
Husband is on H1b and I am on H4.
thanks in advance:)
If you have completed your landing (your CoPR was signed and you have a PR card), then you don't need to inform anyone.

Reactions: SaraRahul