+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Surrender

MontrealIndian

Aug 19, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I have surrender my passport on August 23rd 2023 at Montreal which comes under Ottawa region. Its been 7 weeks now and there is no update. All I see is the below. I am really concerned. I have plans to go to India in December 2023. Could anyone help me with any suggestions please?
Also, does anyone fall under this category like me?

Application StatusSurrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I have surrender my passport on August 23rd 2023 at Montreal which comes under Ottawa region. Its been 7 weeks now and there is no update. All I see is the below. I am really concerned. I have plans to go to India in December 2023. Could anyone help me with any suggestions please?

Application StatusSurrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.
Then how did you manage to get OCI without surrendering ?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10213334

MontrealIndian

Aug 19, 2022
Thanks for being a detective. OCI is for my child who was born on May 2022. See below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 24, 2022
Hello Guys,

Should I be concerned? Its been more than 8 weeks since I applied for OCI through postal application from Montreal for my child but there are no updates.
Should I do anything to at least get a real status? I have seen many threads here where they say that in 7 weeks they got the OCI but for me its been 8 weeks but still in UNDER PROCESS. Is this normal for Ottawa Jurisdiction ?

• Haha
Reactions: prabh_00789

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Thanks for being a detective. OCI is for my child who was born on May 2022. See below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 24, 2022
Hello Guys,

Should I be concerned? Its been more than 8 weeks since I applied for OCI through postal application from Montreal for my child but there are no updates.
Should I do anything to at least get a real status? I have seen many threads here where they say that in 7 weeks they got the OCI but for me its been 8 weeks but still in UNDER PROCESS. Is this normal for Ottawa Jurisdiction ?
Yes it is normal. Ottawa is taking 8 weeks or more to issue the SC

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Do you have any date planned in Dec ?

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi Everyone,

thats insane, 8 weeks for surrender certificate issuance.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I know. Too bad. :(
Actually no point in following up unless some one there is smart and understandable to accept OCI with proof of receipt of surrender certificate (evidence that surrender certificate has been applied for ).

but the day the world starts applying common sense the world will be better place to live in.

MontrealIndian

Aug 19, 2022
Actually no point in following up unless some one there is smart and understandable to accept OCI with proof of receipt of surrender certificate (evidence that surrender certificate has been applied for ).

but the day the world starts applying common sense the world will be better place to live in.
Actually, you have a very good point. There is no way I can get back the passport once surrendered. So it makes sense to apply for OCI with the proof of SC application.

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Actually, you have a very good point. There is no way I can get back the passport once surrendered. So it makes sense to apply for OCI with the proof of SC application.
try your luck may be it works and we have some precedent