+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
Today status got updated in BLS tracking for surrender certificate.
In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre

Last edited:
Reactions: desmat

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

Today, my SC application got returned by BLS. I made a mistake and I hope no one else make this in their application.

When you're filling out the Surrender Certificate online form, make sure ALL THE PARTICULARS EXACTLY MATCHES YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT that you have on hand. I made a mistake on my Parent's surname.

It messed up big time and I had it retuned back. Trust me, they found the mistake on February 7, and I had my form returned today - February 13 with the reason for returning my application form (FYI, Application was picked up on February 1 postal; Received at BLS Brampton office on February 2). I believe someone in this thread also mentioned that BLS even checks the signature in your Indian passport to match the attested forms that you submit. Don't allow BLS to find an excuse to return your application.

It sucks that my mistake cost me 2 weeks of wait & $84. I had to call BLS again, and this time they charged $62 altogether for resubmitting the form by postal.

When I spoke to the BLS Rep over the phone today, he said it'll take 6–8 weeks. Let's see, I'll update when it gets through.
I dont think its taking that long to process surrender certificate now. You would get it in 4 weeks i guess.

Reactions: Mr. E

aspirant9

Nov 8, 2018
Adding my recent timeline:

Jan 25- in person SC application submitted at BLS Mississauga
Feb 1 - Surrender certificate printed
Feb 5 - In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre
Feb 6 - Dispatched from BLS via Purolator and tracking active
Feb 7 - Certificate received

Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Reactions: desmat

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
We got a reply that one should have 'initiated' the SC process, need not be approved.
It looks like not a pre-requisite to me, as lot of foreigners with other nationalities use eVISA,and they are had no prior India nationality.

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
Friends, I have a question regarding OCI application, about my mother's name. I have recently received my surrender certificate. My surrendered Indian passport doesn't have my mother's full name. My Parents applied their passport few years back, and they issued my mother's passport, based on her 10th class certificate. By that time, I already had an Indian passport and never corrected or updated my mother's name. While applying my Canadian PR, i did submit an affidavit to IRCC, that her name in my Indian passport and name in her passport are one and the same and just written like that in different documents. There is no field for parents full names in Citizenship application. I have mentioned my mother name, as per my Indian passport for surrender certificate. Now, I am planning to apply OCI soon, what is the procedure to update my mother's full name as per her passport? I already have surrendered my Indian passport, which doesn't have her full name. Appreciate your inputs friends! Thank you!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Friends, I have a question regarding OCI application, about my mother's name. I have recently received my surrender certificate. My surrendered Indian passport doesn't have my mother's full name. My Parents applied their passport few years back, and they issued my mother's passport, based on her 10th class certificate. By that time, I already had an Indian passport and never corrected or updated my mother's name. While applying my Canadian PR, i did submit an affidavit to IRCC, that her name in my Indian passport and name in her passport are one and the same and just written like that in different documents. There is no field for parents full names in Citizenship application. I have mentioned my mother name, as per my Indian passport for surrender certificate. Now, I am planning to apply OCI soon, what is the procedure to update my mother's full name as per her passport? I already have surrendered my Indian passport, which doesn't have her full name. Appreciate your inputs friends! Thank you!
Use your mother's name as per your Indian passport.

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Created by Indian, for Indian..

Get an instant email whenever new BLS slots are available.

Created an app that sends an email notification whenever new slots become available for booking. It is FREE and currently supports Toronto, Brampton, and Mississauga for Passport and OCI services.

Please share this with someone in need. Thank you.

https://forms.gle/Q5zePgWETV214x2HA

Reactions: Zay11 and forw.jane

Zay11

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hey, can someone please let know which option to select from the dropdown option for the passport surrender ( to get surrender certificate ) while booking the appointment with BLS online. I don't see any such option for passport surrender and I could see the following options - Passport, VISA, OCI, Premium Lounge, Attestation service.
can we select "passport" for booking the appointment for surrender certificate?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hey, can someone please let know which option to select from the dropdown option for the passport surrender ( to get surrender certificate ) while booking the appointment with BLS online. I don't see any such option for passport surrender and I could see the following options - Passport, VISA, OCI, Premium Lounge, Attestation service.
You have to use Passport option.

Reactions: Zay11

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
Yes, you have to select "Passport"

Reactions: Zay11

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
Why the Passport surrender service is so slow? I submitted my application on 8th Feb and the status tracker is showing "Certificate printed" since last Thursday. People have got the certificates within 2 weeks earlier in January. :(

Last edited: