+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

SSK1993

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
General Update
Received surrender certificate and cancelled indian passport today morning.

Now on to OCI hustle lol. Any tips for me before i start my application for OCI?

Any tips are appreciated.
Thanka

Reactions: desmat

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
General Update
Received surrender certificate and cancelled indian passport today morning.

Now on to OCI hustle lol. Any tips for me before i start my application for OCI?

Any tips are appreciated.
Thanka
Yes prepare for battle :)

Jokes apart take extra possible docs for you and spouse if married.. don't give them chance to return you for missing docs.

So total how many days did it take for you from day you sent courier till today when you got surrender certificate.. and are you in Toronto consulate area or Vancouver?

SSK1993

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Yes prepare for battle :)

Jokes apart take extra possible docs for you and spouse if married.. don't give them chance to return you for missing docs.

So total how many days did it take for you from day you sent courier till today when you got surrender certificate.. and are you in Toronto consulate area or Vancouver?
4 weeks and i’m in the Toronto area. My File went to the Brampton location

Reactions: desmat

newlaser

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 10 2014
Hello Guys
I want to know the procedure for applying for a surrender certificate. Please can anyone guide me through the steps?

I went to the BLS site for an appointment, in the drop-down under service type, I need to select passport right? we are 5 family members, do we all need to go to BLS to surrender the passport?

What are the forms I need to fill out? Appreciate your guidance and time.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello Guys
I want to know the procedure for applying for a surrender certificate. Please can anyone guide me through the steps?

I went to the BLS site for an appointment, in the drop-down under service type, I need to select passport right? we are 5 family members, do we all need to go to BLS to surrender the passport?

What are the forms I need to fill out? Appreciate your guidance and time.
Yes you need to select passport for appointment. Its always better if all can go to manage last minute changes.

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php

It has all the details you need about the process

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
Any suggestion or experiences are helpful. Thanks.

Today everything except Citizenship Ceremony is marked complete. I haven't received the email yet but the portal says that I am Scheduled to attend my citizenship ceremony on 14th February 2024.

But I have a problem. I am travelling to India on 21st March 2024. I opted for a physical citizenship certificate copy. I feel that I wont have enough time to arrange the documentation to travel before my travel date. There is another problem, as per my Indian passport, I only have a first name and I am certain Canada will put my name in the last name field. My travel agent said its not possible to change the name on the ticket (Air Canada) and they will not let me board if the name does not exactly match my travel document. I am planning to postpone my Oath Ceremony once I receive the email. It this a wise decision or I should go for the oath ceremony. I cant cancel my trip.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

Today everything except Citizenship Ceremony is marked complete. I haven't received the email yet but the portal says that I am Scheduled to attend my citizenship ceremony on 14th February 2024.

But I have a problem. I am travelling to India on 21st March 2024. I opted for a physical citizenship certificate copy. I feel that I wont have enough time to arrange the documentation to travel before my travel date. There is another problem, as per my Indian passport, I only have a first name and I am certain Canada will put my name in the last name field. My travel agent said its not possible to change the name on the ticket (Air Canada) and they will not let me board if the name does not exactly match my travel document. I am planning to postpone my Oath Ceremony once I receive the email. It this a wise decision or I should go for the oath ceremony. I cant cancel my trip.
How long are you planning to stay in India?

You might ask for oath postponement but IRCC may not accept it. They might give you final notice to appear, which if you dont attend will lead to your citizenship application getting rejected.

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
How long are you planning to stay in India?

You might ask for oath postponement but IRCC may not accept it. They might give you final notice to appear, which if you dont attend will lead to your citizenship application getting rejected.
I will return on 22nd April 2024

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I will return on 22nd April 2024
Your ticket is the bottleneck which if you can sort out will give you two options -
1) Do your oath, get e-certificate, apply for Urgent Canadian passport, travel on Indian passport, surrender passport in India and get exit permit to travel back to Canada. This will not cause issue as ticket and passport match. Issue will be while coming back as name mismatch will happen.
2) Do your oath, get e-certificate, apply for Urgent Canadian passport, get e-visa.

If you dont want to do the above -
1) Wait for Oath email, ask for reschedule, they will ask for good reason for reschedule, hope they agree for it and schedule something after you are back. Tricky part is sometimes reschedule can take upwards of 6 months too.

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
Your ticket is the bottleneck which if you can sort out will give you two options -
1) Do your oath, get e-certificate, apply for Urgent Canadian passport, travel on Indian passport, surrender passport in India and get exit permit to travel back to Canada. This will not cause issue as ticket and passport match. Issue will be while coming back as name mismatch will happen.
2) Do your oath, get e-certificate, apply for Urgent Canadian passport, get e-visa.

If you dont want to do the above -
1) Wait for Oath email, ask for reschedule, they will ask for good reason for reschedule, hope they agree for it and schedule something after you are back. Tricky part is sometimes reschedule can take upwards of 6 months too.
I just talked to Air Canada and they said I can get the name fixed.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018

Do you have a return ticket also booked?

If not, perhaps you may go with oath on 14th Feb.. tell the clerk in the oath when clerk asks, that you want eceritifcate instead of physical..

Get the ecertificate, apply canadian passport.. then travel using your Indian passport..
In india, apply for exit stamp from frro office and surrender your Indian passport (its much cheaper than here) ..
And then you may travel back on Canadian Passport..

If your return ticket is also booked with name of Indian passport, then you may bear the cost of booking another ticket to come back on Canadian passport with same steps above.

Or if you want to go other route then either postpone your travel

Or postpone your oath..

That's all I can think of with all possibilities.. but at the end you need to decide as per your priorities..

Also did you check directly with air canada instead of agent..

Harrysingh04

Aug 20, 2020
Do you have a return ticket also booked?

If not, perhaps you may go with oath on 14th Feb.. tell the clerk in the oath when clerk asks, that you want eceritifcate instead of physical..

Get the ecertificate, apply canadian passport.. then travel using your Indian passport..
In india, apply for exit stamp from frro office and surrender your Indian passport (its much cheaper than here) ..
And then you may travel back on Canadian Passport..

If your return ticket is also booked with name of Indian passport, then you may bear the cost of booking another ticket to come back on Canadian passport with same steps above.

Or if you want to go other route then either postpone your travel

Or postpone your oath..

That's all I can think of with all possibilities.. but at the end you need to decide as per your priorities..

Also did you check directly with air canada instead of agent..
I called Air Canada half an hour ago and they put a note on my reservation that I may need to change my name. They asked me to call back when I receive my Canadian Passport. So I have decided to take the Oath. Now lets see whether I get online ceremony or In person. If its online, I will ask them for an e-certificate.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
I called Air Canada half an hour ago and they put a note on my reservation that I may need to change my name. They asked me to call back when I receive my Canadian Passport. So I have decided to take the Oath. Now lets see whether I get online ceremony or In person. If its online, I will ask them for an e-certificate.
Good then.. glad it became simple after Air Canada confirmed change of name on ticket..

Reactions: Harrysingh04