+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
How much time is it taking to recieve surrender certificate after applying for it?

Also, is it cheaper to apply by postal/courier or through bls center?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
They didn't confirm anything. Right now it is under processing at CGI. Will come to know what happens next once the processing is completed.
Did you get update?
Did they courier all applications certificate together in 1 envelope as you paid one?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Through BLS and ask them to remove all the extra services that you don't need. BLS is acting as a sales and marketing agent for Purolator. Check the amount before you pay and only for pick up (and drop off if you want)
Did you get any update?
Are you able to get all certificates and cancelled passports back together in single courier ? Or they are asking you to pay for each application return separately?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Can't trust bls online checklist, that's why I asked.. have been burnt when applied kid oci in past when they asked more documents which were not there in respective checklist.. and charged much extra due to that.
Surrender is a simple process, unlike OCI. You surrendering Indian passport and showing your Canadian passport and certificate with address proof. That's the document you need.

Reactions: desmat

yash91pathak

Star Member
Feb 10, 2019
For anyone who has done a postal application - any suggestions/tips/dos and don'ts? I have paid the pick up drop off through the BLS site so here is what I am including, please let me know if anything needs to be corrected
1. The checklist, where I have checked in the box next to documents and signed the checklist
2. The online application form. - I have signed it at 2 places and attached the photograph.
3. Original Indian passport - last held.
4. Photocopies of last held indian passport (Page with photo, page with address information etc. and all other pages where I have visas or entry/exit stamps)
- I have signed each page and put a date as well
5. Photocopy of my Canadian passport with the photo page and the page with my signature
- I have signed and put a date for self attestation
6. Photocopy of my Citizenship Certificate (front and back on separate pages)
7. Photocopy of my drivers licence

I will get a demand draft from the bank tomorrow morning and add that to the parcel.

Should I include
- any extra photos?
- any other document?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
For anyone who has done a postal application - any suggestions/tips/dos and don'ts? I have paid the pick up drop off through the BLS site so here is what I am including, please let me know if anything needs to be corrected
1. The checklist, where I have checked in the box next to documents and signed the checklist
2. The online application form. - I have signed it at 2 places and attached the photograph.
3. Original Indian passport - last held.
4. Photocopies of last held indian passport (Page with photo, page with address information etc. and all other pages where I have visas or entry/exit stamps)
- I have signed each page and put a date as well
5. Photocopy of my Canadian passport with the photo page and the page with my signature
6. Photocopy of my Citizenship Certificate (front and back on separate pages)
7. Photocopy of my drivers licence

I will get a demand draft from the bank tomorrow morning and add that to the parcel.

Should I include
- any extra photos?
- any other document?
Why do we need all pages of passport with visa entry exist stamps? I thought only first and last pages were needed for Indian passport..

Reactions: yash91pathak

yash91pathak

Star Member
Feb 10, 2019
Why do we need all pages of passport with visa entry exist stamps? I thought only first and last pages were needed for Indian passport..
I was not sure if only the first and last page or all pages- happy to know from others experiences and change accordingly

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
@Doom__V

I used the below format many of my friends have used this in the past.

To,

Consulate General of India,
365 Bloor St E #700, Toronto, ON M4W 3L4
Dear Sir/Ma’am,

Re: Self Declaration regarding not including Canadian passport with surrender certificate application.

I ____________________________ declare that I have not yet applied for a Canadian passport since becoming a citizen on ______________________. Due to this situation, I am unable to submit the same with Surrender Certificate application for Indian Passport.

Yours truly

Good Luck
Has anyone recently tried this with postal application for surrender?
Is toronto consulate still accepting it?

shaheen2023

Dec 27, 2023
Hi everyone,
I am filling out the application for surrender certificate. However the online application asks for present residential address (which obviously is canada) but IT IS MANDATORY TO fill Village / City / State.
there is no option for canadian addresses such as state Ontario.
The only options available are for Indian state and districts.
Please advise as to how did one overcome this.
Thank you!

Reactions: desmat

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone,
I am filling out the application for surrender certificate. However the online application asks for present residential address (which obviously is canada) but IT IS MANDATORY TO fill Village / City / State.
there is no option for canadian addresses such as state Ontario.
The only options available are for Indian state and districts.
Please advise as to how did one overcome this.
Thank you!
You have to choose "Is your Present Residential Address out of India?" as Yes
Currently you are selecting "No" because of which it is expecting Indian address.

sam2326

Apr 30, 2020
Guys, I had randomly booked an appointment for OCI card for 29th dec morning at Ottawa BLS. Till today morning my surrender certificate status was processing at high commission. But I just checked and it changed to ready for collection. The pick up time is 3-4.30pm. Do you guys think I should take chance and go prepared tomorrow morning and request them to give me surrender certificate in the morning itself which I can attach with the application. Please suggest