+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

Yash07

Jul 28, 2016
Hi,
I recently took ctizenship oath and my canadian passport application is already in progress.
Since I'm travelling to India in January and considering e-visas are now available, I plan to do the below.
1. Get my Canadian Passport and Indian e-visa.
2. Travel to India using Canadian Passport along with e-visa.
3. Return to Canada
4. Submit my application for Indian Passport Surrender after returning to Canada.

Since I will not be using my Indian Passport for Travel, will it be an issue if I process my surrender certificate application after I return back?

Logically it doesn't look to be a problem but still I would like to get an opinion here if anyone had some similar experience (or) have any information about the same.

Your responses would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I am in similar situation. Just want to confirm that there will be no issue at Immigration in India as we have Indian and Canadian both passport? Also do you know what is the difference between eVisa and Entry visa? Don't we have to send our Canadian passport for stamping for eVisa?

gbiradar

Jan 28, 2018
Hello everyone!
We did a blunder of sending original Canadian passport and citizenship certificate along with passport surrender application (other required documents included as well e.g. Indian passport, signed copies etc). Now kicking myself for not checking the forum earlier.
I am guessing application will be rejected and sent back. Hoping to get some estimate on tentative timelines.
How long will it take to receive originals back? BLS received it on 23 Nov and status is under processing at consulate/embassy.
If it is at embassy does it mean BLS was ok with originals?

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone!
We did a blunder of sending original Canadian passport and citizenship certificate along with passport surrender application. Now kicking myself for not checking the forum earlier.
I am guessing application will be rejected and sent back. Hoping to get some estimate on tentative timelines.
How long will it take to receive originals back? BLS received it on 23 Nov and status is under processing at consulate/embassy.
If it is at embassy does it mean BLS was ok with originals?
You did not send the Indian Passport?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I meant along with required documents (all signed copies, Indian passport, application form etc) sent original Canadian passport as well as citizenship certificate.
So why you saying your application will be rejected?

Once they validate your original it will be sent back and in 2-3 weeks you will get your SC.

gbiradar

Jan 28, 2018
So why you saying your application will be rejected?

Once they validate your original it will be sent back and in 2-3 weeks you will get your SC.
I read somewhere on the thread that applications are sent back if original Canadian passport is included. If that's not the case then great!! Hoping originals will be sent back earlier, in no hurry for Surrender certificate but need originals back.
Planning to travel to India on evisa around 20 Dec.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I read somewhere on the thread that applications are sent back if original Canadian passport is included. If that's not the case then great!! Hoping originals will be sent back earlier, in no hurry for Surrender certificate but need originals back.
Planning to travel to India on evisa around 20 Dec.
I never read of any such instance. Should not be the case for you too.

Reactions: gbiradar

gbiradar

Jan 28, 2018
I never read of any such instance. Should not be the case for you too.
Thanks, this is kind of a relief. Any chance you know about the time lines of getting original documents back?
Also on the status tracker do I get updates for each stage or just processing at consulate and then SC issued? Just trying to understand the steps involved here.
Thank you for the help!!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks, this is kind of a relief. Any chance you know about the time lines of getting original documents back?
Also on the status tracker do I get updates for each stage or just processing at consulate and then SC issued? Just trying to understand the steps involved here.
Thank you for the help!!
I am not sure about SC document return timeline. There is status on passport site and BLS but not many status transitions.
Surrender Certificate Submitted
Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate
Surrender certificate has been printed

And BLS might have some for Transit between Embassy/Consulate and about courier dispatch.

Reactions: gbiradar

Ranjit 84

Dec 2, 2023
Hey buddy when you are travelling to india because i want to know that if you experience any issues as putting name in given name and surname on evisa application, as you suggested that . Thanks

CV.

Nov 6, 2021
Hi everyone! Going tomorrow for SC in Brampton and I paid online for the drop off service. Upon payment, I got a conformation saying your documents will be dispatched within 2 business days. My question is do they send me some envelope which I need to bring to my appointment or is it ok to just give the online purchase conformation to the BLS? Was I supposed to pay for drop off service at the center itself, cause now I have an appointment for tomorrow.
Please help! Thank you in advance.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
For minor’s supporting documents, does it need to be attested by a parent or no need? Or minor’s thumb required on all documents

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
For minor’s supporting documents, does it need to be attested by a parent or no need? Or minor’s thumb required on all documents
parents should attest supporting documents.
Minor's thumb impression on the application form only..

Imagine if you make the minor put thumb impression on each page, so you will need to get him/her unlimited ice creams/chocolates for such efforts :)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi everyone! Going tomorrow for SC in Brampton and I paid online for the drop off service. Upon payment, I got a conformation saying your documents will be dispatched within 2 business days. My question is do they send me some envelope which I need to bring to my appointment or is it ok to just give the online purchase conformation to the BLS? Was I supposed to pay for drop off service at the center itself, cause now I have an appointment for tomorrow.
Please help! Thank you in advance.
Ab jo diya woh gaya...
if you have an appointment in person, you have to make all the payment including the SC fee, BLS fee and BLS's "value" added services(photo-wito, return courier shourier, sms tracking and lots of other "value" added services) at the BLS Brampton center itself

Last edited:

gvinay23

Sep 12, 2022
Hi, I am in similar situation. Just want to confirm that there will be no issue at Immigration in India as we have Indian and Canadian both passport? Also do you know what is the difference between eVisa and Entry visa? Don't we have to send our Canadian passport for stamping for eVisa?
For evisa you don't need Surrender certificate. it's an online process and they email you the e-visa within 2 days of applying.
As for any issues at immigration if you travel with Valid indian passport as well, though using the Canadian passport with evisa for the actual travle, I'm not 100% sure but I saw 1 or 2 people who did this (responded earier in this post) and did not have issues.
I'll be travelling to India next month and if that is a option I'd rather travel to India on my Canadian passport and apply for SC from there.
Anyone who had similar experiences, would be glad if you could reply with your experience.