+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

kellyCB

Feb 8, 2023
Hi,
I recently took ctizenship oath and my canadian passport application is already in progress.
Since I'm travelling to India in January and considering e-visas are now available, I plan to do the below.
1. Get my Canadian Passport and Indian e-visa.
2. Travel to India using Canadian Passport along with e-visa.
3. Return to Canada
4. Submit my application for Indian Passport Surrender after returning to Canada.

Since I will not be using my Indian Passport for Travel, will it be an issue if I process my surrender certificate application after I return back?

Logically it doesn't look to be a problem but still I would like to get an opinion here if anyone had some similar experience (or) have any information about the same.

Your responses would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
There's nothing wrong with this plan. However, you can also surrender your passport in India and get a surrender certificate. It'll be only 500 bucks and you can get it done the same day and avoid having to deal with the BLS scammers.

gvinay23

Sep 12, 2022
There's nothing wrong with this plan. However, you can also surrender your passport in India and get a surrender certificate. It'll be only 500 bucks and you can get it done the same day and avoid having to deal with the BLS scammers.
Thanks a lot for the response.
I agree that per your response the wiser thing would be to surrender the passport in India considering the time taken and cost involved to do the same once i'm back in Canada.

Robin1812

Feb 11, 2019
Paid $62 for pick up and drop off to BLS. Can I get a refund on that since I am going to India and will be surrendering my passport there? Tried calling BLS but no response.

fernjo1234

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
I submitted by purolator on Thursday too, can't see anything on BLS and embassy tracker yet.
Got an email today saying they received it ‘The time taken at Consulate would depend on the category / merit of your application. You are required to submit your application duly filled up along with document checklist as mentioned on BLS website. Incomplete or Erroneous applications would be returned back, to you’

Reactions: iWish2

Mr. E

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
Think of it this way - even if it's optional, you are giving them a very easy excuse to simply send your application back. They make up whatever nonsensical rules they can think of on the spot.
Just confirmed from a BLS Toronto customer rep that, they require a copy of Passport to process our application.

viralsagar20

May 1, 2018
I wish we can apply for OCI from India.. submitted SC postal app on 17th Nov Surrey location no movement until 24th Nov. went and created a little scene took my application and told them will come tomorrow for walk-in submission and then settled as they said they gonna send it to cgi Vancouver on 27th Nov, which they did
current status : Processing at Embassy

Amrinder Singh1986

Aug 9, 2017
Is there any page for evisa ?

My wife dont have given name in her canadian passport and for evisa they are requesting Given Name/s (exactly as in your Passport) * as mandatory -
Any recommendations ?

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I wish we can apply for OCI from India.. submitted SC postal app on 17th Nov Surrey location no movement until 24th Nov. went and created a little scene took my application and told them will come tomorrow for walk-in submission and then settled as they said they gonna send it to cgi Vancouver on 27th Nov, which they did
current status : Processing at Embassy
They deserve to such treatment as they harass people. You feel like you are government office in India where we always get the following:

- Come tomorrow
- This is missing
- Officer has gone for leave
- System is down
end less list of excuses.

I believe that they start charging more service fee but provide better service.

Reactions: desmat

SszZTkmZ

Star Member
Aug 29, 2021
The status doesn't change in Govt. Website after status "Surrender certificate has been printed", you have to check in BLS website after that, the status will change there to "In Transit from Consulate" and then finally to "Dispatched via Courier". I got it delivered by post exactly 1 week after the status on Govt. Website changed to "Surrender certificate has been printed"
Mine is stuck at Surrender certificate has been printed for 2 weeks. No change on BLS website.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hi @kellyCB,
In same boat, will receive passports on Monday. Flight on 16th. Do you think I should apply for eVisa and surrender it after return (Jan Mid)?
Will they not object at entry in Indian immigration, since I did not surrender the Indian PP and they would have my details as Indian unless I surrender the Indian PP?