+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

kc2500

Oct 7, 2013
Hello, on the surrender form, it says"Please paste your unsigned recent colorphotograph Size 2"X2" and Signature/LeftHand Thumb Impression in the box provided above."

Do we need to sign and put a thumb impression for adults (NOT A MINOR) both or just signature of an adult is fine?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, on the surrender form, it says"Please paste your unsigned recent colorphotograph Size 2"X2" and Signature/LeftHand Thumb Impression in the box provided above."

Do we need to sign and put a thumb impression for adults (NOT A MINOR) both or just signature of an adult is fine?
Signature is enough.

Reactions: kc2500

DudeNextDoor

Oct 20, 2023
How long does it typically take from Certificate Printed to be shipped from BLS. Thanks.

Surrender Certificate- Toronto Jurisdiction
Purolator Pick-up 25th Oct 2023
Delivered Oct 26th 2023
MEA Website: Nov 22nd Surrender certificate has been printed.
In Transit to BLS: ?
Received: ?

Reactions: desmat

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
How long does it typically take from Certificate Printed to be shipped from BLS. Thanks.

Surrender Certificate- Toronto Jurisdiction
Purolator Pick-up 25th Oct 2023
Delivered Oct 26th 2023
MEA Website: Nov 22nd Surrender certificate has been printed.
In Transit to BLS: ?
Received: ?
3-4 days you will get it

Reactions: DudeNextDoor

Mr. E

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
Hi guys, Sorry if this question has been answered before. I'm seeing conflicting information on this question. Is it mandatory to obtain Canadian Passport to get surrender certificate via BLS Toronto? Please advise. Thanks.

mm1901

Oct 7, 2023
Hi guys, Sorry if this question has been answered before. I'm seeing conflicting information on this question. Is it mandatory to obtain Canadian Passport to get surrender certificate via BLS Toronto? Please advise. Thanks.
Yes it is mandatory as you will have to provide the copy of Canadian passport with the surrender application.
It is even required in the application form for Surrender certificate

Reactions: Mr. E

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Yes it is mandatory as you will have to provide the copy of Canadian passport with the surrender application.
It is even required in the application form for Surrender certificate
I think some BLS have let people surrender indian passport with just a receipt of application of Canadian passport..

Wick.J

Aug 18, 2023
I sent my application by mail to Ottawa and I got email from them that signature did not match with passport on application form so I have to send that again. I tried to call them all day but no answer.

Can I email them application form with signature or I have to pay again for purolater and do I have to put another photo on the application form . If anyone have any knowledge that will be really helpful.

Reactions: shishirshetty10

Mr. E

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
I think some BLS have let people surrender indian passport with just a receipt of application of Canadian passport..
Possibly. It's location dependent. BLS Toronto needs a copy of Canadian Passport as @mm1901 mentioned. Is there any thread for Canadian Passport timeline?

kellyCB

Feb 8, 2023
Since we all share the misfortune of having to deal with scammy con-artists from BLS and the corrupt bureaucracy of our homeland, I want to set up a thread to document all the various "mistakes" in the application, photo etc. that BLS scammers use as a way of scamming us. A couple from Mumbai asked me to make a youtube video while we were at BLS toronto - I'll do that in due course but in the interim, here are a few that happened to me over separate occasions. Please add to the list so that others can be extra careful while filling out their applications:

Application:
  • "Mistake" - Postal / Zip code is before the province. It should be should be after the province name.
  • "Mistake" - Province name should be complete (eg. "ONTARIO") not short-form ("ON", "AB" etc). If you go with full-form, then they might just as well say - it should be short form not full-form. I print two separate applications versions now take them with me.
  • If the GOI application says a certain field is optional (like emergency contact number) and you choose not to fill in anything in that field, BLS may say that the field is not optional and you need to pay $40 or $60 of whatever to correct it on the spot or go back.
  • "Mistake": Why is there "no space" between canadian postal code. You should stand your ground on this.
  • "Mistake": zero looks like O and vice-versa.
  • "Mistake": Why is there no address for the emergency contact (even though it's a completely optional field). Stand your ground on this.
  • Make sure the passport issue city matches exactly as its written in your passport, do not add the country name on your own. - This one is a genuine requirement.

Excuses to make you re-do the photo:
  • Enough shoulders not visible in the photo (even though my photo had same amount of shoulders as in the example photo on the checklist).
    • In the next round - they rejected the photo that they themselves took and accepted the photo that they had rejected in the prior visit :D
  • Hair on the shoulder - always always carry multiple photos.

Redundant Service fees:
  • Service charge repeated multiple times with no explanation provided. Check your total and ask for the breakdown BEFORE you pay and stay firm on removing the redundant charges if the total doesn't make sense. Have a calculation in your head before you go to the counter.
  • They add some BS service charge to get a notification call or service call or something. - tell them you don't want that.
These are the ones that happened to me so far. Please add to the list if you've also been a victim of BLS scams.

Public service announcements:
  • India e-visa is now available for Canadian citizens. Spare yourselves the headache and apply online for e-visa online. 1yr visa is only US$40 (CAD 56) - 5 bucks less than BLS' purolator scam.
  • Please make sure you email the CG Toronto and MEA (and to PM Modi through Write to PMO office - they always respond) on all the scams that are going on and the poor service.
  • You should keep flagging the lack of appointments and people waiting for hours outside in freezing (and potentially fatal) weather because of the poor staffing, lack of proper waiting areas, bathroom, and corrupt business practices to MEA / CG as well as CBC marketplace. If we stay silent, they'll keep scamming us, our families and even our next generation.
  • Ask them to modernize their bureaucratic processes. If canada can run a whole immigration program from visas to citizenship end to end online, there's no reason why a country that produces so many coders can not. The only reason we are dealing with all this BS is because no one holds these incompetent con-artists to account.

Reactions: Jaywalker

kellyCB

Feb 8, 2023
Think of it this way - even if it's optional, you are giving them a very easy excuse to simply send your application back. They make up whatever nonsensical rules they can think of on the spot.

Reactions: Mr. E

Wujwuj

Dec 20, 2017
Indian passport surrender application
Brampton BLS Postal Application

• Application submitted by mail : 2023-Oct-27
  • Application received at BLS : 2023-Oct-30
  • Application processing at BLS : 2023-Nov-6
  • Application received by consulate : 2023-Nov-14
  • Surrender certificate is under review : 2023-Nov-16
  • Surrender certificate has been printed. : 2023-Nov-21
  • In Transit from Consulate General to BLS : 2023-Nov-21
  • Ready for dispatch: 2023-Nov-22
  • Dispatched by courier: 2023-Nov-22
  • Received: 2023-Nov-23

harsh237

Dec 22, 2021
Is it mandatory to add province name after city in the passport surrender application form? I couriered my document last week and there's no update in tracking. Under foreign address there were 3 address lines. First 2 were mandatory. 1 for unit number and street name, other for City. 3rd is for Postal code which is optional but I still entered. However, for the 2nd field - I only typed Toronto and not Toronto, ON. Has anyone just used city name and was it accepted?

PS - A few years back I had dealt with BLS when renewing my Indian passport and I remmeber how anal they were for minute details. I just hope they don't send it back because I didn't mention ON after Toronto even though the CSS field input only mentioned City for address 2.

Last edited: