+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

CanIndian73

Nov 8, 2023
Passport Surrender :
via Postal
Application date:14th Oct 2023 (as per BLS tracker)
Current status: Processing at the High Commission
Any idea how long it would take to receive the certificate
Hi there, check the seva portal at consultate side to see more accurate details. Mine was granted and printed at seva portal but on BLS side still says processing

Reactions: dinodn

yourr.grace

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
My postal application was received/acknowledgement on Oct 31. It still says
"Your PASSPORT application has received at our BLS Postal Brampton Center on 31-10-2023. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing it to IHC/CGI. Please note that this is an auto-generated mail & does not indicate that your application has processed to Indian High commission or Consulate general of India. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing your application to Indian High commission or Consulate general of India. Once your application processed in our BLS center, you will be notified through email service with a unique BLS reference number. The unique number can be use for tracking purpose on BLS website."

Good news/bad news?

iWish2

Feb 18, 2020
@iWish2 BLS Ottawa allows surrender certificate applications without a Canadian passport.
He/she did, and his application is successfully finished.
I did today, and my application was accepted.
Hope this helps.
Thats interesting. I am not sure whether BLS Toronto also accepts Surrender certificate application without Canadian passport details. Any one with such experience with BLS Toronto ?

Last edited:

DudeNextDoor

Oct 20, 2023
My postal application was received/acknowledgement on Oct 31. It still says
"Your PASSPORT application has received at our BLS Postal Brampton Center on 31-10-2023. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing it to IHC/CGI. Please note that this is an auto-generated mail & does not indicate that your application has processed to Indian High commission or Consulate general of India. Please allow 4-5 business days for processing your application to Indian High commission or Consulate general of India. Once your application processed in our BLS center, you will be notified through email service with a unique BLS reference number. The unique number can be use for tracking purpose on BLS website."

Good news/bad news?
Same date and message for me. But it changed to "under process" today.

D_N_1234

May 2, 2019
Guys, do I need to submit my Canadian passport to surrender my Indian passport? Or only copy of Canadian passport will work?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Guys, do I need to submit my Canadian passport to surrender my Indian passport? Or only copy of Canadian passport will work?
in person ke postal?
In person carry all originals along with the self attested copies of the supporting documents.
Postal ke liye just send self attested copies of the supporting documents. But do not forget to send the original Indian passport

D_N_1234

May 2, 2019
in person ke postal?
In person carry all originals along with the self attested copies of the supporting documents.
Postal ke liye just send self attested copies of the supporting documents. But do not forget to send the original Indian passport
Thanks! I am planning to visit in person first. How is the line up these days?

ad1603

Nov 13, 2023
Thats interesting. I am not sure whether BLS Toronto also accepts Surrender certificate application without Canadian passport details. Any one with such experience with BLS Toronto ?
They did not let me submit without Canadian passport details. I pointed them to CGI website that states you can submit a letter. But BLS was adamant and said they have got new guidelines. I didn't have the energy to fight them

Reactions: desmat

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks! I am planning to visit in person first. How is the line up these days?
For SC in general Canadian passport is required. BLS has stopped accepting SC applications without Canadian passport.
You do not need to submit the Canadian passport, but you have to carry the originals along with you for verification. After verification they will return all the originals, except for the Indian passport which will be returned after the SC is completed

Amrinder Singh1986

Aug 9, 2017
Hello All,

I am going to submit application for Indian passport surrender Certificate : Have few Qs

Location - Toronto
1) Can i submit application for me and my wife under same account ?
2) Can both applications be sent via post together ?
3) Do i need to send Canadian Passport as well via courier ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello All,

I am going to submit application for Indian passport surrender Certificate : Have few Qs

Location - Toronto
1) Can i submit application for me and my wife under same account ?
2) Can both applications be sent via post together ?
3) Do i need to send Canadian Passport as well via courier ?
-With the same login on Passport Seva website: https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html you can create multiple applications for family members
-Yes you can
-Do not send Canadian passport. Only include the self attested copy. But you need to send original Indian passport (and self attested copy) along with your application

dm31810

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
Hello all,
While filling OCI application:
1. Who all we have to include in section which asks "if anyone in family has applied OCI in family"?
I have mentioned my daughter who has OCI
Do I need to mention my sister and her family OCI also?

2. Section which asks for family, who all we have to mention?

Thanks!