+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Thank you. Yes, postponing the ceremony is an option, sort of last resort. It's something I have waited for long, and now that I have an opportunity in hand, I do not want to push it further. That's why I am exploring all other possibilities before it comes down to pushing the ceremony.
You can travel to India on the Indian passport but will then need to surrender it there and get an exit permit (I think that's what its called).

The US option is technically feasible but I am not sure how it will impact your OCI application. They will be able to see that you used your Indian passport to enter and exit India while holding a Canadian passport.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
You can travel to India on the Indian passport but will then need to surrender it there and get an exit permit (I think that's what its called).

The US option is technically feasible but I am not sure how it will impact your OCI application. They will be able to see that you used your Indian passport to enter and exit India while holding a Canadian passport.
Oh, I did not know about the exit permit from India. Yes, if I could surrender my passport in India and be able to travel to Canada - It would be ideal. I'll research about it right away. Thank you for that information.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Just posting Indian passport surrender application timeline for reference :

Vancouver consulate
Application sent : Sep 7
Application delivered : Sep 8
BLS - processing at consulate general : Sep 12
Passport seva - certificate under review : Sep 13 - 15
Passport seva - certificate has been printed : Sep 18 - now
BLS - in transit from consulate : Sep 21
BLS - ready for dispatch : Sep 22
BLS - dispatched via courier : Sep 22
Estimated delivery : Sep 25

Mjotsin

Sep 24, 2023
Hi,
I submitted my application for Surrender certificate at surrey office but I realized I did not sign the photocopies and BLS employee did not ask me either to sign. Please advise if self attesting is mandatory ??

Mjotsin

Sep 24, 2023
Just posting Indian passport surrender application timeline for reference :

Vancouver consulate
Application sent : Sep 7
Application delivered : Sep 8
BLS - processing at consulate general : Sep 12
Passport seva - certificate under review : Sep 13 - 15
Passport seva - certificate has been printed : Sep 18 - now
BLS - in transit from consulate : Sep 21
BLS - ready for dispatch : Sep 22
BLS - dispatched via courier : Sep 22
Estimated delivery : Sep 25
Hi,
I submitted my application for Surrender certificate at surrey office but I realized I did not sign the photocopies and BLS employee did not ask me either to sign. Please advise if self attesting is mandatory ??

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi,
Hi,

As far as I know, self attesting the photocopies is mandatory for Indian passport surrender application. It is odd that the BLS employee didn't check that. Maybe they have now relaxed that rule.

I would suggest to call their number and check about it.

Mjotsin

Sep 24, 2023
Hi,

As far as I know, self attesting the photocopies is mandatory for Indian passport surrender application. It is odd that the BLS employee didn't check that. Maybe they have now relaxed that rule.

I would suggest to call their number and check about it.
Sure I will call them and double check to avoid any delays. Thanks

Reactions: krishere1982

noblevrghs

Nov 4, 2017
Hello Guys, Do we need to send original Canadian passport for surrender Indian citizenship application. I am planning to send it thru mail. Some place it’s self attested copy and some place it says original passport

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, how's the process of surrendering Indian Passport in India to the Regional Passport Offices? How long does it take there? Thank you.

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Hitting 6 weeks now since I submitted my surrender application at BLS Montreal. Anyone else from Ottawa/Montreal waiting the same time?