+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

ramsay1212

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Where can I find this information?
This website https://ociservices.gov.in/ quotes "Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India."

So I think if one is on entry visa, they are eligible to apply

ramsay1212

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Remember the visa should not be a tourist/eVisa it should be a visa like Entry visa else you will not be able to apply for surrender/OCI in India
But to get an entry visa, the checklist on CGI Toronto website states surrender certificate is mandatory. So I think one can only apply for surrender certificate while in India and then work through OCI process once back in Canada

CoorsHeavy

Star Member
Jul 16, 2022
Im just curious, do u use Indian passport when u go to India?
Don’t use Indian passport if you have gotten Canadian passport , get a visa to india , surrender it in india , when back apply OCI. If you use Indian passport while having a Canadian passport they will fine you

Reactions: ramsay1212

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
Don’t use Indian passport if you have gotten Canadian passport , get a visa to india , surrender it in india , when back apply OCI. If you use Indian passport while having a Canadian passport they will fine you
when u hold an Indian passport, u r technically having Indian citizenship. hence, u may not be eligible to apply for any visa for india.

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
But to get an entry visa, the checklist on CGI Toronto website states surrender certificate is mandatory. So I think one can only apply for surrender certificate while in India and then work through OCI process once back in Canada
As long as u hold an Indian passport, u r not eligible to apply for any visa to India bcz u r an Indian citizen.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
when u hold an Indian passport, u r technically having Indian citizenship. hence, u may not be eligible to apply for any visa for india.
That is not entirely correct.. Without surrendering the Indian Citizenship/cancelling the Indian Passport you can apply for eVisa
Only for Entry Visa and Tourist Visa applied through BLS, you need to surrender the Indian Citizenship/cancelling the Indian Passport

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
That is not entirely correct.. Without surrendering the Indian Citizenship/cancelling the Indian Passport you can apply for eVisa
Only for Entry Visa and Tourist Visa applied through BLS, you need to surrender the Indian Citizenship/cancelling the Indian Passport
Interesting! Im not from India so not sure of it. Generally, the visa will be given to a person who is not a citizen. For example, Canadian citizen can not apply for eTA if he/she wants to surrender his/her passport just bcz he/she holds Australian passport.

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018
While filling the form for evisa for india, do we need to declare holding Indian passport and citizenship? I am inclined to say Yes, but want to confirm.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Interesting! Im not from India so not sure of it. Generally, the visa will be given to a person who is not a citizen. For example, Canadian citizen can not apply for eTA if he/she wants to surrender his/her passport just bcz he/she holds Australian passport.
Greetings from Perth mate

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
While filling the form for evisa for india, do we need to declare holding Indian passport and citizenship? I am inclined to say Yes, but want to confirm.
If you wanna shoot your self in the foot yeah
India does not allow dual citizenship the moment you acquire foreign citizenship you are deemed NEI (aka non reliable Indian)
A grace period is give that allowed you to use the Indian passport for 3 months anything beyond is a red flag
You are provided a period upto 3 years to surrender your Indian citizenship/cancel Indian passport.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
That makes me wonder why are you on this thread then ?
Is the Indian soap opera that popular ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: WelCanada

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
When you hold an Indian passport and Indian citizenship, you must declare it. After declaring it, if they still give e-Visa, please share your experience with us. I really want to know the logic that how one country issue visa for its own citizen. I am curious to know

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
So I am confused now. Can we surrender the Indian passport in India or not?
Will India/ BLS give us an eVisa (Entry or Tourist) if we are still holding a non-cancelled Indian passport?

Question - The day you read the oath in Canada you become a canadian citizen. However Canada has nothing to do with your Indian citizenship. Now, India doesn't allow dual citizenship, I get it. I also get it that India gives you 3 years to surrender it. So my question is - what is your status in those 3 years. You are an NRI but what's your citizenship status? Are you a dual citizen in those 3 years or is it an implicit rule that "since, India doesn't allow dual citizenship, the day you read canadian oath, that's the day you become canadian citizen and you are NO LONGER an Indian citizen"?
OR
Is it that - Till you go to VFS/ BLS and surrender your passport - until then you are Indian citizen?