+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Oh is it? I looked at the Checklist and it says Canadian Passport (original) must be presented for in-person verification and a self-attested copy must be submitted with the surrender application. Is this no longer required?
I applied for surrender certificate in Brampton location and got it without Canadian Passport, I added the following letter with the application

To,

Consulate General of India,
365 Bloor St E #700,
Toronto, ON M4W 3L4,
Canada

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Self Declaration regarding Canadian passport submission with surrender certificate application

I ______________ declare that I am in the process of applying for a Canadian Passport and it's not yet issued to me. Due to this situation, I am unable to submit the same with Surrender Certificate application for Indian Passport.

Sincerely,

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I applied for surrender certificate in Brampton location and got it without Canadian Passport, I added the following letter with the application

To,

Consulate General of India,
365 Bloor St E #700,
Toronto, ON M4W 3L4,
Canada

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Self Declaration regarding Canadian passport submission with surrender certificate application

I ______________ declare that I am in the process of applying for a Canadian Passport and it's not yet issued to me. Due to this situation, I am unable to submit the same with Surrender Certificate application for Indian Passport.

Sincerely,
Thank you so much for this . Appreciate that . :) . Did you got your surrender certificate yet ? How long it took ? Also for Citizenship certificate do we have to submit original or copy ?

Reactions: dora115

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Thank you so much for this . Appreciate that . :) . Did you got your surrender certificate yet ? How long it took ? Also for Citizenship certificate do we have to submit original or copy ?
I submitted walk-in application on Sep 30 and got my surrender certificate by post on 21st Oct. For walk-in application, they didn't check or keep any original document except Indian Passport.

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
How much time does it take to move from the 'Surrender certificate has been printed' to the next status? My application has not moved in a week.

My timelines:

Application type: Post to BLS Brampton
Application posted: 29th Sep 2022
Application Delivered: 04th Oct 2022
Processing at Consulate General: 12th Oct 2022
Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance: 20th Oct 2022
Surrender certificate has been printed: 21st Oct 2022
The status doesn't change in Govt. Website after status "Surrender certificate has been printed", you have to check in BLS website after that, the status will change there to "In Transit from Consulate" and then finally to "Dispatched via Courier". I got it delivered by post exactly 1 week after the status on Govt. Website changed to "Surrender certificate has been printed"

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I submitted walk-in application on Sep 30 and got my surrender certificate by post on 21st Oct. For walk-in application, they didn't check or keep any original document except Indian Passport.
Oh thank you for replying. Did you included copy of citizenship certificate with application?

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Oh thank you for replying. Did you included copy of citizenship certificate with application?
yes, please follow the checklist and include it with the application. Also carry the original in case they want to verify it.
Online Application Form
Indian Passport (Original and Copy) – last held
Canadian/Foreign Citizenship certificate (Copy)
Canadian/Foreign passport* (Copy) ---> Include the letter since you didn't get the Canadian Passport yet.
Proof of Address
Photograph (to be pasted in the application form) ---> Photo can be taken at BLS
Fees ---> can be paid at BLS by debit card/cash

Last edited:

nafisa15

Oct 4, 2022
My timelines:

Application type: Post to BLS Brampton
Application posted: 29th Sep 2022
Application Delivered: 04th Oct 2022
Processing at Consulate General: 12th Oct 2022
Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance: 20th Oct 2022
Surrender certificate has been printed: 21st Oct 2022
What website do you check your status for india gov website? I used the passport seva and it doesn’t accept my file number . While in
BLS it says it is processing in consulate general..

PMV

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
I received it too. I am planning a OCI walk-in tomorrow. If I don't do so, I will be unable to go until Wednesday and I have travel plans in Dec. It's also better to get tired during a weekend rather than middle of the week.
please keep me posted. I’m going on Tuesday. Not going tomorrow because I’m wary of linger lines than a weekday, given the cold.

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
My experience ------

Went for the surrender of indian passport for self and family today to the BLS center in Brampton.

First comments----there are 2 offices -----

1. 40 Gillingham Drive - where PPT services including renewa;al/ fresh ppt / surrender (only) / OCI / PCC are provided
2. 60 Gillingham Drive - where Visa services are provided (and surrender certificate if you are applying for both Visa and Suurender together)

Visa lines were pretty huge - there were around 100 to 150 people ahead of me (the line circled the entire building). Someone standing in the line told me that if it is just surrender we should go to 40 Gillingham Drive office.

The line at 40 Gillingham was relatively shorter (around 75 people ahead of me).

Queue started and moved relatively faster once the counters were opened. I went in around 950 and was out by 1015.

Few pointers to note.

1. Carry all original documents that they mention in the checklist - including Canadian Passport (if you have) / Citizenship Certificate etc. They will verify and give it back to you
2. Please ensure that the application form is properly and accurately filled
3. Ensure that the photograph is as per specifications, (else you can pay extra 15$ and take the photos there)
4. I did not have a Canadian Passport, but surrendered the Indian Passport with a letter indicating the reason why am unable to provide and they were OK with it.
5. Even though your application was walkin you have the option of receiving the docs to your home/ mailing address at an extra fee.....you could pick the docs up from the center directly once it is available....For certificate of the adults, the person has to come physically and collect (you cannot ask someone else to collect on your behalf). For Minors - both parents have to come, I believe
6. Collection is only at specific times on weekdays - Monday to Friday. No Collection on Saturdays.
7. While it is not mandatory for all the applicants to be physically present, it will be better if they hang around, in case of any last minute verification / photo issues.

Saturdays are relatively crowded. Weekdays as per a person standing in the line, are relatively shorter. All in all - expect around 4 hours either way.

People were courteous and helpful. Now I have to wait as the application moves from BLS to Consulate + the entire consular process (processing, printing etc.) and then the move from Cosnulate to BLS for me to go and pick up.

nivek

Feb 24, 2017
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
01-03-2017
AOR Received.
11-05-2017
Still can't track my application.
Postal Application sent by Purolator to BLS Surrey on Oct 3
Package delivered on Oct 4.
Anyone facing similar issue??
I have a similar situation too, send the Postal application to BLS Surrey on Oct 23 and delivered on Oct 25.
No updates in BLS tracker yet.

Did you start getting updates on yours @vaibhavshah45

Reactions: vaibhavshah45