+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
a question for you? Can I travel on Canadian passport if the surrender process for Indian passport takes time? what's the fine?
Travelling on Canadian passport has no relation to surrender of Indian Passport. You can surrender Indian Passport upto three years after you become Canadian without any penalty, provided you do not use your Indian Passport for travelling.

Due to Covid, my wife surrendered her Indian Passport after two and half years. It wasn't used for travel during this period.

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
I am confused regarding the checklist document on BLS Canada: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf

At the beginning of the document, it says "Canadian/Foreign passport* (Copy)" but in the details for a Canadian passport, it says "Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification. It will be returned back after verification."

Question: Do BLS need the original Canadian passport if I mail-in my surrender application?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am confused regarding the checklist document on BLS Canada: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf

At the beginning of the document, it says "Canadian/Foreign passport* (Copy)" but in the details for a Canadian passport, it says "Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification. It will be returned back after verification."

Question: Do BLS need the original Canadian passport if I mail-in my surrender application?
Originals are not required for mail in applications. Only include self attested copies of all the documents that you are providing

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Does anyone know how long it usually takes BLS to update its tracking for a postal surrender certificate application? After 3 business days, it still says 'record not found'.

Also, is the processing time really 8 weeks as their website says?

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
I have posted my application yesterday. I will share the timelines with everyone

Application posted: 29th Sep 2022
Application Delivered:

Oct 4, 2022
Hello there, Need help. I & my spouse applied for Surrender certificate together on Sept 17 while I received my SC on Oct 04. For my spouse, it is still showing 'processing at Consulate General' , We are not sure what went wrong with his Application and why its taking longer. Have you been in this scenario and if you know a way to follow up with Consulate about it? Please share. TIA.

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
My timelines:

Application type: Post to BLS Brampton
Application Delivered: 04th Oct 2022
Processing at Consulate General: 12th Oct 2022

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Passport Surrender Application at BLS Brampton (Self+Spouse)
Application Type: Walk-in
Application Date: 11-Oct-2022
Current Status: Processing at Consulate General

Reactions: BoxOfCrayon

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi
can even send me the passport surrender form .
Also does it have to be submitted in person or can I fill a form

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
Hi
can even send me the passport surrender form .
Also does it have to be submitted in person or can I fill a form
Refer all the details here:
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php

You can download the checklist which includes the URL to fill the form online and Submit. Take the print out of the submitted form and self-attested copies of the documents mentioned in the checklist. Submit these via walk-in or through a postal application.

Reactions: Wandering Mind

BoxOfCrayon

Sep 8, 2022
My timelines:

Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate: 17th Oct 2022

Reactions: Wandering Mind

Tommy2581

May 15, 2017
My timelines:

Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate: 17th Oct 2022
Same status for me - Under Review.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Hi
So the scenario is that I have my citizenship and Canadian passport since 2020
Due to covid and having a small baby then ai couldn’t apply for surrender certificate
But unfortunately I cannot find my Indian passport
What should ai do in this case
Thanks