+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Renewal from BLS Toronto

dearbharat

Sep 23, 2018
Received the new pp today below is the timeline.

Nov 12: Submitted - Walkin
Nov 14: Processing at Consulate General
Dec 7 : Print initiated on passportsewa
Dec 9 : Printed
Dec 12: Dispatched vis Purolater on bls-website
Dec 13 : Delivered

Also, If anyone with experience can answer my question below.
The passports came stapled together, old stapled to back cover of new passport. Are we supposed use the passport like this going forward? or it is ok to remove the staple and use the new passport standalone. I wish to carry just the new one but my concern is if the staple marks on new passport's back page will have any issues. Looking forward to inputs from anyone who has renewed the passports and used them like this. Appreciate the help and thanks in advance.
Just use the latest passport. It is idiocy of some clerk in MEA who wanted to keep both passports together. It amounts to tampering the passport.

gottagetthatpr

Star Member
Dec 14, 2022
I renewed my passport recently. It was supposed to expire next mid-year. I submitted the documents on 29th September. I have opted for postal services from BLS Brampton. They received my application in the first working week of October. I got my old passport cancelled and the new 60-page passport on the 2nd of December stapled together.

So technically, it took a little more than 2 months which kind of breaks the 8 weeks' time by one day. In their defence, there was 1, an address change to the present address in Canada; 2, spouse's name was added and there's also a rumour that they process jumbo passports a bit slowly where I called and confirmed that it's not true by one of their people.

In my defence, the passport was at the CGI for nearly 2 weeks, basically, the entire 2nd half of November which made me tense a little bit also there was a slight delay in police clearance, but it depends purely on how efficient and timely your local police station is.

I had one of my friends' passports renewed and got back within 1 month. For him, there was only an address change and it was a normal 36-page passport and was done back in Aug or Sept this year.

Rest assured, the process was seamless, and the postal application is reliable given the risk that the papers transported are very much important and saved me from a lot of headaches. PS: I have filled both the checklists provided by BLS and the standard checklist from CGI just to be safe.

Pratibha Kesarwani

Nov 20, 2020
I renewed my passport recently. It was supposed to expire next mid-year. I submitted the documents on 29th September. I have opted for postal services from BLS Brampton. They received my application in the first working week of October. I got my old passport cancelled and the new 60-page passport on the 2nd of December stapled together.

So technically, it took a little more than 2 months which kind of breaks the 8 weeks' time by one day. In their defence, there was 1, an address change to the present address in Canada; 2, spouse's name was added and there's also a rumour that they process jumbo passports a bit slowly where I called and confirmed that it's not true by one of their people.

In my defence, the passport was at the CGI for nearly 2 weeks, basically, the entire 2nd half of November which made me tense a little bit also there was a slight delay in police clearance, but it depends purely on how efficient and timely your local police station is.

I had one of my friends' passports renewed and got back within 1 month. For him, there was only an address change and it was a normal 36-page passport and was done back in Aug or Sept this year.

Rest assured, the process was seamless, and the postal application is reliable given the risk that the papers transported are very much important and saved me from a lot of headaches. PS: I have filled both the checklists provided by BLS and the standard checklist from CGI just to be safe.
Hey who did you call ? For me I have submitted the passport application on 10th Nov. it’s been 5 weeks the review and processing itself not started. I am not sure how to contact to know what’s happening with my application. The file number itself not generated yet. I have address change, spouse name addition and mother name correction. I have provided all the supporting documents.

gottagetthatpr

Star Member
Dec 14, 2022
Hey who did you call ? For me I have submitted the passport application on 10th Nov. it’s been 5 weeks the review and processing itself not started. I am not sure how to contact to know what’s happening with my application. The file number itself not generated yet. I have address change, spouse name addition and mother name correction. I have provided all the supporting documents.
there are contact numbers for various BLS centres, you can contact them depending on where you have submitted your application. on top of that, you can raise a ticket and chat with them at BLS support.

fluffy14

Nov 30, 2022
For those who are wondering why the status is "Passport application is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate" for too long. Sometimes there might be some updates on the application but the status on passport.gov.in website doesn't reflect it.

To know the exact status of the application there is a workaround. Please follow the steps below

These steps might be difficult to follow for some but it might help some web developers/software engineers out there who might find it a little easier to follow than others.

1. Go to https://portal4.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
2. Right click on the page and click on inspect from the menu
3. There will be browser related developer tools which will open adjust the height of developer tools so that you will be able to click on Track status dialog
4. Click on the Track status dialog and fill out the information regarding your application and click Track application status button
5. Now in the browser developer tools you can see network tab which is basically 4th option in chrome click on it
6. Now you can see a service call that is made with name trackStatusForFileNoNew click on it and this service returns a response which contains all the status updates on your application
7. If you scroll through the service response you will be able to see statusMap -> StatusId object when you click on it it will again return a list of all updates on your application and who performed that action and on what date it is updated.

I applied in BLS Ottawa and my status updates gave all the information. I even knew my passport number and the tracking number of the courier for the passport that has been printed in Delhi and dispatched to Ottawa. Using that tracking number I was able to find out that they have dispatched it through DHL Express and was able to track when it is delivered to HCI Ottawa.

I used aftership to know the name of courier through which my passport is dispatched from new delhi and to follow the status updates of delivery https://www.aftership.com/track

Once it is delivered I called the HCI Ottawa and requested them if I can pick up my passport in person as I had my flight in two days after it was delivered to HCI. Luckily I got my passport just in time before my travel date. I know it is stupid to book the tickets in advance but I didn't realize that the passport renewal process is so slow especially in BLS Ottawa.

Normally HCI dispatches the passport to BLS Ottawa after a week once they receive it and BLS Ottawa takes 1 or 2 days to dispatch it to applicant via Purolator.

My status updates on backend:

EVENT_DESCEMP_ACTIONSTATUS_DESC
1Passport Number XXXXXX dispatched through International Post/Courier with tracking no XXXXXXXX to issuing Mission/Post.Passport sent by CPPF to Issuing Mission/PostPassport sent by CPPF to Issuing RPO
2QC Accepted and Dispatch Initiated: Passport No. XXXXXXXX of type Ordinary-NormalDispatch InitiatedDispatch Initiated
3Printed: Passport No. XXXXXXXX of type Ordinary-NormalPrintedPrinted
4nullPrint InitiatedPrint Initiated
5PVR for XXXXXXXXX-PPF-CA is Approved and Submitted as Clear by PoliceApproved and Submitted as Clear by PoliceSubmitted
6PV InitiatedPV Initiated
7Granting Status Set as 'Clear'ClearApplication Granted on pre police verification basis
8Sent To GoGranting Initiated
9nullApplication Form UpdatedSubmitted
10Grant On Hold Send to EOGrant On Hold Send to EOGrant On Hold Send to CSE
11Sent To GoGranting Initiated
12nullApplication Form SubmittedSubmitted
Hi,

I wanted to thank you for this post. My flight is in 7 days and I'm travelling for my brother's engagement. I received the tracking number today and it's supposed to arrive at the High Commission on the 24th. The issue is that the 25th and 26th is closed.

I have been calling, leaving queries, sending emails, but I have had 0 luck reaching the High Commission. How did you manage to reach them?

goofy123

Aug 14, 2021
Hi,
You mean there is local Canadian Police Clearance for Indian passport renewal in Canada? Is it applicable for all passport renewals (even for those on Visitor Record or Work Permit) ? In the case of minors, the verification is done for the minor or parent? Also, how the local Police verify..?

Thanks

SKant

Star Member
Apr 16, 2022
Hello, I applied to reissue my indian passport at bls montreal (ottawa jurisdiction). When I track it on this website https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html, it says "Your passport has been printed and being forwarded to Embassy/Consulate. The Embassy/Consulate will contact you once they receive the passport for dispatch."

BLS tracker https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/track-application.php says "Processing at High Commission"

How long does it take for them to dispatch HCI ottawa and to montreal? What is the expected timeline here?

gottagetthatpr

Star Member
Dec 14, 2022
Hello, I applied to reissue my indian passport at bls montreal (ottawa jurisdiction). When I track it on this website https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html, it says "Your passport has been printed and being forwarded to Embassy/Consulate. The Embassy/Consulate will contact you once they receive the passport for dispatch."

BLS tracker https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/track-application.php says "Processing at High Commission"

How long does it take for them to dispatch HCI ottawa and to montreal? What is the expected timeline here?

That really depends. But I personally say expect it only after 10 business days. This might be different as I applied this with BLS Brampton. What essentially happening is that they're infact doing their work in your respective CGI. The date of issue will be around after they have got the application.

There was little to no delay on holding by BLS, but once BLS have received your passport it's best to keep in touch with them. Purolator was also efficient in my case. But since this is a festive season as well as the weather before Christmas is going to be disastrous might affect upon you receiving the passport.

SKant

Star Member
Apr 16, 2022
That really depends. But I personally say expect it only after 10 business days. This might be different as I applied this with BLS Brampton. What essentially happening is that they're infact doing their work in your respective CGI. The date of issue will be around after they have got the application.

There was little to no delay on holding by BLS, but once BLS have received your passport it's best to keep in touch with them. Purolator was also efficient in my case. But since this is a festive season as well as the weather before Christmas is going to be disastrous might affect upon you receiving the passport.
Thanks, I see. I opted to pick it in-person.

goofy123

Aug 14, 2021
Hi,
You mean there is local Canadian Police Clearance for Indian passport renewal in Canada? Is it applicable for all passport renewals (even for those on Visitor Record or Work Permit) ? In the case of minors, the verification is done for the minor or parent? Also, how the local Police verify..?

Thanks
Hi, can someone please confirm this? Thanks.

gottagetthatpr

Star Member
Dec 14, 2022
Hi, can someone please confirm this? Thanks.
1. No, Police clearance based on the address in the previous passport. I have come across only people whose addresses were also Indian, hence this clearance is done by someone from your local Indian police station; if yours is foreign, I don't know how it works.

2. I Didn't fully understand the question. For passport renewals: in regards to (1) yes; for visitor record or WP, there are no police clearances that I'm aware of. As I have helped apply for others, these never came across as it is completely done in Canada and issued by Canadian authorities.

3. I know all applicants are treated differently even though they are dependents, hence I think it's done separately. I don't know how it would be for a child/ minor.

4. You would have to give someone's contact number from India/ local address place for police to cross-verify your old presence. Preferably, someone from the family or close relatives could also work if the family is not present. There are detailed videos available on YouTube on how to renew a passport.

goofy123

Aug 14, 2021
1. No, Police clearance based on the address in the previous passport. I have come across only people whose addresses were also Indian, hence this clearance is done by someone from your local Indian police station; if yours is foreign, I don't know how it works.

2. I Didn't fully understand the question. For passport renewals: in regards to (1) yes; for visitor record or WP, there are no police clearances that I'm aware of. As I have helped apply for others, these never came across as it is completely done in Canada and issued by Canadian authorities.

3. I know all applicants are treated differently even though they are dependents, hence I think it's done separately. I don't know how it would be for a child/ minor.

4. You would have to give someone's contact number from India/ local address place for police to cross-verify your old presence. Preferably, someone from the family or close relatives could also work if the family is not present. There are detailed videos available on YouTube on how to renew a passport.
Thanks @gottagetthatpr

Pratibha Kesarwani

Nov 20, 2020
Hi All,

I submitted a walk-in passport renewal app at BLS Toronto on Sept 30. It has been stuck on the status application along with fee details have been received for over 10 days now. Do I need to be concerned? Anyone who applied recently in end of September, can you comment on your timeline and current status?
Hi sorry to bother you. Did you get your passport. For me it’s been 5 weeks and the status is fees received. File no is also not generated.

Part_time_Larry

Dec 11, 2022
My Indian Address has changed but I do not have any proof of the new address. I am sending proof of address for my Canadian address to be printed on the passport.. will it be okay?